The Student Room Group

How do you get through all-nighters?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
I don't do all nighters. I get 7 hours sleep like an average person should.
the more sleep deprived you are, the more likely you will make errors in your work.

I'm with you there. Just completed my end of year hand in and even though I worked for 18 hours every day for last week i was asleep (or at least trying to be) by 1am latest ready to be up at 6 am to start again. Although as stated people work in different ways and you will find what fits you, I've never been working past 3am it's just not how I work. Normally I will stop by midnight but if you're in the flow you don't even know what time it is so staying awake is not an issue. Just because you don't 'pull all-nighters' doesn't mean you're not working to capacity though. Sleep deprivation is not cool however much it is promoted in architecture school
Reply 21
Yeah, seriously, don't do all nighters. Your health and sanity are way more important than architecture could ever be.
Reply 22
Tbh, I always sleep for at least 7 hours everyday or else I could not work in a normal way I would... architecture students in my city always complain about not having adequate sleep (e.g. only 4 hrs from the past 72 hrs during project deadlines) and it did worry me once cause if that's the case, I shouldn't choose Architecture, sleep is extremely crucial to me.

Yet, I've found some ways to minimize the amount of sleep recently that won't keep me away from being energetic. Now I sleep for approx. 5 hrs a day.

1. Separate the place where you work and where you sleep.
This is what I read from books, do not work and rest at the same place. I tend to work in the library or in living room, and rest when i'm in my room since that will actually adjust your mindset that when you're at your room, you feel relaxed and fall asleep faster and when you're at the library, your mind is auto adjusted to work.

2. Take a quick bath when you're awake.
It's very demanding for me to wake up and get off my bed in the early morning especially during holidays. So I usually run to the bath room and take a quick bath to sort of wake me up and tell myself a lots of things is waiting for me.

3. Do exercise in the morning.
I don't do this often during the time I go to school (I have to arrive school at 7.45am) but I start having this habit now, though you will sweat a lot and feel REALLY tiring after the exercise (I usually jog for an hour or two). It actually keeps me awake and VERY energetics and refreshing for the rest of the day. Admittedly, it's also help me to loose weight and stay healthy.

Caffeine isn't really helpful to me. I can fall asleep very soon even when I've taken a cup of coffee. And remember, don't drink at the time when you feel sleepy, cause it starts working an hour later. And don't form an habit of relying too much of it cause it's very harmful to your health!

Hope it's helpful! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
methylphenidate or adderall
drum and bass. loud. headphones.
Reply 25
Only had to do one in my life and that was last weekend when my grandmother was gravely ill in hospital.

Lots of fresh air and caffeine should help! Although i just crashed about 11am for an hour or two because I couldnt last any longer
Reply 26
Thanks to everybody who gave their 2 p. Almost all was really helpful; although unfortunately I can do very little about separating my work environment from the space where I rest, for a variety of reasons. And this is what would really make a difference.
I would love to be able to sleep for 7 hours every day; however, even with the hardest of work during the semester I still end up with more than enough to keep me awake for a fortnight or so when the projects are due. So - again, unfortunately - I can't relate to the sleeping 7 hours a day like a normal person thing.
I also don't intend to use anything stronger than caffeine. Strategies and ways to predispose myself were more like the kind of answer I was looking for.
The headphones idea is brilliant actually. I'm not really a D'n'B person, but anything with a nice bass to it does wonders, don't know how I haven't thought of this before. I mean I listen to music all the time, but barely ever with headphones on. How simple. (Yes, I understand that the high volume is what's supposed to keep me awake, but it would be less efficient through speakers anyway.)

What bugs me the most whenever I go for an all-nighter is the horrific way in which I feel detached from reality, people and generally all that is good. It sucks the life and inspiration out of me. And, mind you, I am an introvert otherwise. I guess I need a CAD buddy.

Don't we all. Well, have a successful end of year, whoever's yet to have it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
ritalin and epinephron should do thre trick :tongue:
Original post by nod

What bugs me the most whenever I go for an all-nighter is the horrific way in which I feel detached from reality, people and generally all that is good. It sucks the life and inspiration out of me. And, mind you, I am an introvert otherwise. I guess I need a CAD buddy.

After just 6 hours or so alone? Well, maybe just skype someone then. But yeah, they should be bourne out of need, so if you're pushing to get things done you should be too busy to really feel alienated in any way. Try listening to things apart from music, I use talk radio shows or stand-up sets from YouTube.

You finished your year now then? All go well?
Reply 29
Original post by GormlessWonder
After just 6 hours or so alone? Well, maybe just skype someone then. But yeah, they should be bourne out of need, so if you're pushing to get things done you should be too busy to really feel alienated in any way. Try listening to things apart from music, I use talk radio shows or stand-up sets from YouTube.

You finished your year now then? All go well?

No, it's not the 6 hours spent alone. As I mentioned, I quite enjoy being alone generally. If I'm not under pressure to get something done in time, I'd gladly spend 600 hours alone and never ask for a single sign of companionship.
It's got to do more with the night, with the quietness of everything which contradicts the aforementioned pressure to speed things up.
Skyping people is barely ever an option, for those who'd be online would be as busy as me usually.
I do use tv series to keep me awake - ones that I am familiar enough with so as not to get carried away by the plot; but I prefer not to know them too well either, since those would bore me and thus defy the whole point.
I find this is getting less effective though. As I've been practising it for a while, my brain's apparently been adjusting and now hardly bothers to follow anything in the background.
And to answer your other question, no, year's not finished. Toughest 2 weeks yet to go.
Reply 30
Architects are ridiculous with sleep. I don't understand why anyone would think it would be better to wake up late and then do an all nighter and feel like absolute crap when walking into your review the next day, when you could just wake up at 6am everyday, and go to bed at say 12am, and at least get a solid 6 hours of sleep. That's 18 hours of work. In deadline times I reduce my sleeping hours to 2-6am. Still, 4 hours of sleep and 20 hours of work. Seriously, there are so many less distractions in the morning, if you did that everyday, you'd actually get so much more done, in my opinion.

Having said that, I have on occasion done quite a few full all-nighters. It only took me a couple red-bulls/relentless cans. Also, I never work in my bedroom. I just associate my bed with sleeping too much, so I keep well away from there until sleeping is what I actually intend to do.
Reply 31
Really, just think about it.

If you want to work 20 hours a day while you're a student, go for it. If you want to work 10-12 hours a day for the next 50 years of your life in a job you'll probably hate, go for it.

Really not worth it in my opinion. But if this sounds like it will genuinely make you happy, well, go for it.
Original post by Dijobla
Architects are ridiculous with sleep. I don't understand why anyone would think it would be better to wake up late and then do an all nighter and feel like absolute crap when walking into your review the next day, when you could just wake up at 6am everyday, and go to bed at say 12am, and at least get a solid 6 hours of sleep. That's 18 hours of work. In deadline times I reduce my sleeping hours to 2-6am. Still, 4 hours of sleep and 20 hours of work. Seriously, there are so many less distractions in the morning, if you did that everyday, you'd actually get so much more done, in my opinion.

Having said that, I have on occasion done quite a few full all-nighters. It only took me a couple red-bulls/relentless cans. Also, I never work in my bedroom. I just associate my bed with sleeping too much, so I keep well away from there until sleeping is what I actually intend to do.

Your first paragraph makes no sense in terms of the last few weeks before a hand-in when there are no contact hours. The whole point is to ignore the concept of day and night. You must understand people work in different ways, you say architects are ridiculous with sleep but you get 4 hours a night. The key is just to sleep at any point you're too tired to work anymore.
Reply 33
Original post by GormlessWonder
People work in different ways. Most of architecture is grunt work you can do after being awake for 20 hours, this thing about 'errors' is a bit rich when all we need to do it sit there and CAD and photoshop something. I was awake for 25 hours yesterday. The subject is fairly unique in this way, which is why architects seem to be the only students who really consistently complain about lack of sleep and the unfairness of the course in general.

To OP, I think one key thing is controlling when you eat and drink, experiment with half-day fasts between meals, and do things like lie-in as much as you want then stay up until you're about to collapse.

that's quite a claim
Original post by Ex Death
Really, just think about it.

If you want to work 20 hours a day while you're a student, go for it. If you want to work 10-12 hours a day for the next 50 years of your life in a job you'll probably hate, go for it.

Really not worth it in my opinion. But if this sounds like it will genuinely make you happy, well, go for it.

You make it sound as though people have a choice in the matter :ahee:.
Reply 35
Original post by don_lad_
that's quite a claim

He did it by putting in 104.4% effort.
Reply 36
Original post by moh.alt
I drink bottles of cokes it helps me and i lick the top of my tongue occasionally. Thats also useful

i thought the guy who claimed to work 25 hour days was going a bit far but this is a ridiculous claim
Reply 37
Original post by somethingbeautiful
You make it sound as though people have a choice in the matter :ahee:.

Of course there is. I was mostly referring to architecture jobs (notorious for working stupidly long hours and stupid amounts of unpaid overtime) but of course you have a choice in working 8 hours or 12 hours a day. It is absolute madness to do the latter for 50 years, imo.
Original post by don_lad_
that's quite a claim

Yep, worked for 25, completed an entire module, printed it and handed it in, finished a laser cut model, bought material, then travelled and got it cut. Slept for about 12 hours to recover then continued with my final portfolio.

If you're referring to a day being 24 hours then you're missing my point here, near deadline time sometimes you have to do these things if you want to be on for a first, despite an attempt to spread out work throughout the term.
Original post by Ex Death
Of course there is. I was mostly referring to architecture jobs (notorious for working stupidly long hours and stupid amounts of unpaid overtime) but of course you have a choice in working 8 hours or 12 hours a day. It is absolute madness to do the latter for 50 years, imo.

Nope, some people don't have a choice. Not necessarily for 50 years - but some people do have to do 12 hour shifts for quite a few years. What happens if you're married and then suddenly your wife leaves, you have to re-mortgage? Now you've got a 10 year mortgage and 2 kids to raise. There isn't really a 'choice' to walk away from 12 hour shifts when you're on min wage. If you do then your house gets re-possessed, you have no where to live and your kids get taken away. Not many choices going on there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending