Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

my view on gay and straight marriages

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is a political issue because it has been nationalised - the government creates a culture war by becoming a cultural arbiter. Had marriage not been granted with special 'handouts' it would merely be a personal disagreement. However, those who want to 'legalise' gay marriage are just as fascist as those who want to ban it. Just broad-minded fascist. If you truly seek fairness and freedom of marriage, strive to depoliticize the issue by removing its perks granted by government and return it to a level of religious and civil celebration or a contract between parties involved. discuss
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol, have you got any idea what forum you're on?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stopping black people from marrying white people was inequality.
    Stopping gays from marrying is inequality.

It's a disgrace and it's barbaric that things are still like this. Especially in the UK, a predominantly atheist country. And to all of your amazement.. I'm a Christian. Just not a closed minded Christian that won't accept evolution, and think gays will rot in hell.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The majority shouldn't be allowed to dictate what the minority does.
    Politics and Religion should remain separate.
    Love is love is love is love.
    No matter race or gender.
    No matter rich or poor.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Civil unions receive largely the same legal benefits as marriage, it's not a political debate per se it's a religious and social debate which legislation falls into
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    While I think it's a bit harsh calling it fascist - I think it's perfectly understandable that given the privelege of state-sanctioned marriage exists, that gays want it too - you're totally right.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Churches already and always have had the right to choose who they do not marry. Legalising marriage for homosexuals would not force the church into performing marriages it didn't believe in.

This is very much one sided oppression and governments need to grow some balls and just allow gay marriage. It's a social contract before a religious one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think politics should be separate from marriage tbh. The conservatives want to preserve the image of the 1930s, when people married and mostly stuck together. It just doesn't work like that anymore. I think I've seen that 50% of marriages end in divorce, maybe because they haven't been with the person long enough to actually see if you can live together harmoniously. If people want to marry, so be it, if they don't want to marry then that's fine too - there shouldn't be any special benefits for either way.

And with gay marriage, I take the view of Clint Eastwood - I personally don't give two f***s about who marries who. It doesn't impact my life, it doesn't threaten my future marriage and I'm not affected by it whatsoever. People can do what they like as long as it doesn't harm others.

Some people have this opinion that as soon as gay people marry, we're either all going to die, humans will start marrying monkeys or gay people will take over the world. They don't want more rights, they want the same rights.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Stopping black people from marrying white people was inequality.
    Stopping gays from marrying is inequality.
    Something being "inequal" does not in itself make it bad, you must realise. It's a completely neutral term, just like discrimination. There is a salary inequality in my workplace - my boss earns a lot more than me. I discriminate between cats and dogs in order to give them different food.
    You may well have a compelling reason to believe that disallowing same-sex "marriage" is unfair, but simply pointing out that it is in some sense different to something else does not explain anything.

(Original post by RunAroundOnMe)
    The majority shouldn't be allowed to dictate what the minority does.
    Politics and Religion should remain separate.
    Love is love is love is love.
    No matter race or gender.
    No matter rich or poor.
    No matter how old they are, if they're related, what species they belong to, etc.
    OH WAIT LOL no it's too early for that yet. One step at a time.

(Original post by RowingGoose)
    Some people have this opinion that as soon as gay people marry, we're either all going to die, humans will start marrying monkeys or gay people will take over the world. They don't want more rights, they want the same rights.
    I'm pretty sure no one actually thinks that, it's just some ridiculous strawman by the pro-homo camp.

Stuff like:
    "What happens when two men get married:
    > Your house burns down [ ]
    > The stockmarket collapses [ ]
    > The Earth falls into the sun [ ]
    > Two people who love each other get to live happily ever after [x]"

And anyway gay people have the same rights on this matter as straight people. Are gay people allowed to marry someone of the same sex? No. Are straight people allowed to do that? No.

Allowing homosexual marriage is not about victimising or not victimising certain people. It would be afforded to everyone, if a straight man wanted to then go and marry his mate, he could. They're not going to make you prove you're gay first.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    Something being "inequal" does not in itself make it bad, you must realise. It's a completely neutral term, just like discrimination. There is a salary inequality in my workplace - my boss earns a lot more than me.
    Because your boss is in a higher position than you. If this is your point, you are suggesting straight people are in a higher position than homosexuals.

I discriminate between cats and dogs in order to give them different food.
    Because Cats and dogs favour different food. Most gays will favour the legalisation of gay rights, as will most straights in the UK.

You may well have a compelling reason to believe that disallowing same-sex "marriage" is unfair, but simply pointing out that it is in some sense different to something else does not explain anything.
    Well it seems I just shattered your point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because your boss is in a higher position than you. If this is your point, you are suggesting straight people are in a higher position than homosexuals.
    *sigh*, I knew you'd scrape something out of that. My point was simply that stating something to be not equal is not in itself a reason to think it's "bad". Many things, if not ALL things, are somehow different and not the same. If you think same-sex marriage should be allowed then there has to be more of a reason behind it than simply "it's not currently allowed, but other kinds of marriage are allowed, therefore this is not equal and is therefore bad"

Because Cats and dogs favour different food. Most gays will favour the legalisation of gay rights, as will most straights in the UK.
    As above, this was not an analogy, it was just to point out that labeling something as "discrimination" does not automatically make it bad.

Well it seems I just shattered your point.
    If by "shattered" you mean "completely missed", yes.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is ridiculous. The state shouldn't recognise it at all in my opinion.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    me and lebanese are in the same fking boate!!!!!!

kasme!!!!!!!!

basically we got disownded from our families and we dont regret it, because we're in deep shiny love. And our hobbies include going to the beach, aving gang bang on the sand...
    basically we are very multiculural,, and very religious, and we got married in a temple,kasme the monkey was looking heavy!!! kasme I tell you we are in deep deep love, and thnks for asking thanks for caring, and tip to all of you gay lovers out there, please please dont give on this beautiful straight forward relationship.....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Me and taunt are in the same fkin boate!!!!

kasme!!!!!!!

basically we got disowned from our families and we dont regret it because we're in deep shinny love. and our hobbies include to the beach, aving a gang bang on the sand............
    basically we are very multicultural and very religous and we got married in a temple kasme the monkey was lucking heavy!!!! kasme I tell you we are in deep deep love, and thanks for asking and thanks for caring!!!!! and a tip to all you gay lovers out there plz plz dont give up on this beautiful straightforward relationship"!!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    considering most of you seem to agree with me, why was I negged?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Marriage is ridiculous. The state shouldn't recognise it at all in my opinion.
    Yes it's a bit strange, isn't it. All seems a bit private to me, not sure why such a big deal is made out of it.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*, I knew you'd scrape something out of that. My point was simply that stating something to be not equal is not in itself a reason to think it's "bad". Many things, if not ALL things, are somehow different and not the same. If you think same-sex marriage should be allowed then there has to be more of a reason behind it than simply "it's not currently allowed, but other kinds of marriage are allowed, therefore this is not equal and is therefore bad"

As above, this was not an analogy, it was just to point out that labeling something as "discrimination" does not automatically make it bad.

If by "shattered" you mean "completely missed", yes.
    You really are awful at debating. You used those example to back up your point, I disregarded those examples with ease, your point has about asmuch substance as a year 6 answering an A Level English Literature paper.

Straight people can marry.
    Gay people can't marry.
    One has, and one doesn't which is inequality in a society that strives to maintain equality and human rights.

Whether or not it's a bad thing is subjective. The majority in the UK think it is a bad thing, which overall through consensus makes it a bad thing.
    O
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You really are awful at debating. You used those example to back up your point, I disregarded those examples with ease, your point has about asmuch substance as a year 6 answering an A Level English Literature paper.
    You completely misunderstood the point I was making with those examples, that's all. No harm done.

Straight people can marry.
    Gay people can't marry.
    ...:confused:
    I think what you mean is that people (regardless of their sexuality, if any) can't marry a member of their own sex, right? Gay people can get married, so can straight people, but neither can get married to someone of the same sex. Why does marriage have to be about who you want to ****, anyway? It doesn't matter who you are and what you like to do in bed with whom, you're currently not allowed to "marry" someone of your own sex.

One has, and one doesn't which is inequality in a society that strives to maintain equality and human rights.
    Do you think it is a "human right" for a person's state-recognised union with a member of their own sex to be called "marriage" instead of "civil partnership". Seems like a bit of a grand term for such a trivial thing.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    You completely misunderstood the point I was making with those examples, that's all. No harm done.

...:confused:
    I think what you mean is that people (regardless of their sexuality, if any) can't marry a member of their own sex, right? Gay people can get married, so can straight people, but neither can get married to someone of the same sex. Why does marriage have to be about who you want to ****, anyway? It doesn't matter who you are and what you like to do in bed with whom, you're currently not allowed to "marry" someone of your own sex.

Do you think it is a "human right" for a person's state-recognised union with a member of their own sex to be called "marriage" instead of "civil partnership". Seems like a bit of a grand term for such a trivial thing.
    1. I completely understood your point, it was a crap one if I'm honest.
    2. They can marry, but women would not want to marry a gay man, it would contradict their vows, and they would not be happy not contempt. *Sigh* another moot point.
    3. Straight people can have an exact equivalent "Civil Union". *Sigh* *Sigh* Again..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    x
    You're just talking a load of ****. Go away.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.