The Student Room Group

Are Driving examiners sexist?

I passed my test in December. It was my third attempt. My instructor told me that I am a WAY better driver than a girl he was teaching to drive. She passed first time. Apparently she stalled twice on her test. If you stall twice in 45 minutes, doesn't it show a lack of clutch control? He keeps evaluation sheets of all his pupils, he showed me mine, which indicated that I could do everything on my own, i.e. I could drive. Her's was at a much lower level than mine on most things, yet I had to take three attempts, she only needed one.

He reckons it's because driving examiners make it harder for young men to pass than young women. If they do I can find it quite understandable, there was a young man who killed himself driving round a corner too fast, smashed into a wall and another car. He had passed his test three months previously. In fact he did the same thing and wrote a car off one month prior to his fatal accident.

So here's the question, does anyone else think it's easier for a young woman to pass than a young man?
Reply 1
Theres this one examiner at my test center and she passes much more boys than girls... she just dont like girl drivers i think so it works both days!

but like someone can be the best driver ever, and if something goes wrong on the day it poos it completly up!... like i have enver hit the curb on parelle park, and n my second test i went right up it...

i have my 3rd one tomorow... i NEED to pass!! (slightly off the point)
I think it's just the fact that females are awful drivers :wink:

Saudi Arabia know this and females are banned from driving. This is why Saudis aren't required to have insurance. Either that or it's something to do with Muslim law :biggrin:
Reply 3
At the test centre where i live, the female examiner seems to fail many more people than any of the male examiners. One of the male examiners is a bit of a ladys man and my mate reckons she only passed coz she was wearing a skirt lol and she got along well with him.

Me and my boyfriend had the same examiner.. he passed me and failed my boyfriend twice...

I don't think theyre necessarily sexist but i do think examiners prefer to pass people second time rather than first..the examiner i had actually said the best drivers dont pass first time..:rolleyes:
Reply 4
My instructor is convinced that they are sexist.
Reply 5
Stalling on a test is not a big deal depending on the circumstances...
Reply 6
I wouldn't say sexist as much as discriminatory, without being generalizing.
Have to wear a bloody shirt with a tie nowadays to pass.
dani_88
At the test centre where i live, the female examiner seems to fail many more people than any of the male examiners. One of the male examiners is a bit of a ladys man and my mate reckons she only passed coz she was wearing a skirt lol and she got along well with him.

You live in a test centre?
Reply 8
We have come up with the theory that female examniners are less likely to pass females than males, but that males pass each equally. This is based on the experiences of people at the college which I attend.
Reply 9
therefore women shouldn't be allowed to be driving instructors?
Reply 10
towards boys driving instructors are stricter on speeding..i know that much.

regards
--marty
Spiral Architect

i think you would be wrong there!i passed 1st time and with a strict examiner....talk about sexist. i am a far better driver than the fellas i know who passed on there 7th test round about the same time as me.i cant count the number of acidents theyve bin in...
Reply 12
getting in lots of accidents doesn't make you a bad driver. It could be because they are so good that they get over confident in their abilities, so they take stupid risks. Also the reason why people tend to have the same types of accidents more than once is because they failed to learn from what they did wrong the first time.

So saying that you are a better driver is not entirely true. You are probably a safer driver, but not necessarily better.
ninman
getting in lots of accidents doesn't make you a bad driver. It could be because they are so good that they get over confident in their abilities, so they take stupid risks. Also the reason why people tend to have the same types of accidents more than once is because they failed to learn from what they did wrong the first time.

So saying that you are a better driver is not entirely true. You are probably a safer driver, but not necessarily better.

im a better driver believe me!!
They're all perverts! I've had three and they just can't stop drooling out of the bloody window. I mean I look at pretty girls, but these are like 50 year-old weirdos looking at girls who aren't even legal. I'm a guy and find it pretty unpleasant.
(I'm a girl) In my first test I had a sexist examiner. I asked him what he used to do before being an examiner, he said a civil engineer and then proceeded to say that I don't know what that is. I said that I do and then I was made to prove it and I got it correct to which he said that women never know what it is but all the guys do. After that he was really annoyed at me for the whole test, evidently from the fact that he didn't like that I knew what a civil engineer was.

(If you're wondering I failed because I came off a roundabout in the right hand lane of a dual carriage way, a car undertook me straight away and then immediately after that, when it was safe, I moved across to the left hand lane checking my mirrors and everything.)
Reply 16
Original post by Spiral Architect

Saudi Arabia know this and females are banned from driving. This is why Saudis aren't required to have insurance. Either that or it's something to do with Muslim law :biggrin:

That is the most sexist ******** I have ever heard lol
Original post by Zoe Wellington
(I'm a girl) In my first test I had a sexist examiner. I asked him what he used to do before being an examiner, he said a civil engineer and then proceeded to say that I don't know what that is. I said that I do and then I was made to prove it and I got it correct to which he said that women never know what it is but all the guys do. After that he was really annoyed at me for the whole test, evidently from the fact that he didn't like that I knew what a civil engineer was.

(If you're wondering I failed because I came off a roundabout in the right hand lane of a dual carriage way, a car undertook me straight away and then immediately after that, when it was safe, I moved across to the left hand lane checking my mirrors and everything.)

Thread has been inactive for 12 years, nice work.
Original post by Andrew97
Thread has been inactive for 12 years, nice work.

Lol

Latest