Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Show respect for Margaret Thatcher when she eventually dies"...? No.

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    We can joke about her now she's alive, and will continue to do so when she dies. Death is inevitable and part of of lifes game, just because someone dies doesn't mean people suddenly lose the right to freedom of speech. Her family will have endured hate for her time as PM all their lives, and will continue to endure hate after her death. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

If someone is prepared to willingly worsen the lives of thousands, they will have to accept that, even after their death, they will still be disliked just the same. Noone should suddenly show respect to someone they have no respect for. Also, I don't condone "wishing" people to be dead which some of you cuties seem to somehow be interpreting, just saying I won't respect her in any way when she does or change the way I talk about her.

Discuss

Edit: Negs make me horny
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do whatever you want but I certainly won't be rejoicing when she dies. That's despite the fact that I cannot stand her or her politics.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you are hit by a bus tomorrow, there will be a TSR party with all invited at Margaret Thatchers house.

Why are you pleased about someone else's death? That is the end of a person, no-one should wish death upon another person, not even bin Laden. It is truly sad that you are happy about this.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want , if bob down the road dies I'll probably but not somebody I've never met...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think one should be able to discern between the loss of a politician and the loss of a human.

Contrary to popular belief, and scientific research, Thatcher was, biologically, a human. I think it is therefore unfortunate that her death should be celebrated.
    I think she should be criticised politically, and used as an example to future generations of how NOT to run a country, but she made those unfortunate decisions as a politician, and the buck ends there.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndyAM)
    If you are hit by a bus tomorrow, there will be a TSR party with all invited at Margaret Thatchers house.

Why are you pleased about someone else's death? That is the end of a person, no-one should wish death upon another person, not even bin Laden. It is truly sad that you are happy about this.
    I'm not wishing death upon anyone, but nor will I "show respect" when she dies x

And please do have a party, just glad I made that much of an impact on your life
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, what a demon.

Maybe wait a bit after she dies though.

That said, the hatred remains and should remain
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you have a clouded view of Thatcher and what she did for our country
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i won't be celebrating her death but my opinion of her won't change whether she is alive or dead.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not about showing respect for someone per se. It's about respecting that death is unpleasant, both for the person that died and for people that cared about them. You can criticse someone that died 3000 years ago, but to say 'I'm glad that they died', especially when they didn't do anything particularly bad is fairly heartless.

If someone's mother fired me from my job and I was on benefit payments for a year, it would still be horrid of me to welcome their death.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    The whole 'waiting for Margaret Thatcher to die' thing is pretty ironic, because practically everyone who wants her dead will criticize her of that she was a cold hearted bitch, or something along those lines, and it's pretty ridiculous to make that criticism if you yourself want her dead... Then again, it does say a lot about the intelligence of people who say such things...

Edit: Ha, hit a nerve did I? Well, challenge what I've said then (if you can), rather than simply negging.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    The whole 'waiting for Margaret Thatcher to die' thing is pretty ironic, because practically everyone who wants her dead will criticize her of that she was a cold hearted bitch, or something along those lines, and it's pretty ridiculous to make that criticism if you yourself want her dead... Then again, it does say a lot about the intelligence of people who say such things...
    I don't want her dead at all, I would never wish anybody dead. If you read correctly fine chap, I was stating I wish to show her no respect when she is dead.

Kapish?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mishmashmoo)
    I think you have a clouded view of Thatcher and what she did for our country
    they are just trotting out the standard lies of the deluded old labourites and other clueless fractionalwits that populate the trendy left
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally think Maggie gets too much stick. She worsened the lives of loads of people, sure. But she also improved the lives of others. I know my family benefited under her government and we're not rich or anything. I think she did her best and that's all anyone can do at the end of the day.

I also am of the opinion that when someone is dead there is a level of respect that should be shown to them no matter who they were. I think it's a shame people want to party when she dies, she's not been the woman she was for a long time, can't you think of better reasons to throw a party? Most of the people on here weren't even born when she was in power. Yes, she made mistakes, but so does everyone, and I don't think she did anything on the scale of evil that justifies celebrating her death.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    I think one should be able to discern between the loss of a politician and the loss of a human.

Contrary to popular belief, and scientific research, Thatcher was, biologically, a human. I think it is therefore unfortunate that her death should be celebrated.
    I think she should be criticised politically, and used as an example to future generations of how NOT to run a country, but she made those unfortunate decisions as a politician, and the buck ends there.
    Well she wasn't that bad, she brought the country up a lot more then most politicians. She was able to reduce the impact of the depression to England as a whole, sure she screwed up with Poll tax, but hey times were tough, it had to happen or we wouldn't have been here today.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinman1)
    We can joke about her now she's alive, and will continue to do so when she dies. Death is inevitable and part of of lifes game, just because someone dies doesn't mean people suddenly lose the right to freedom of speech. Her family will have endured hate for her time as PM all their lives, and will continue to endure hate after her death. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

If someone is prepared to willingly worsen the lives of thousands, they will have to accept that, even after their death, they will still be disliked just the same. Noone should suddenly show respect to someone they have no respect for.

Discuss
    considering the basis of this forum, and the age on your profile, I would suggest your opinions on thatchers premiership are somewhat irrelevant. You are unlikely to have had any exposure beyond the odd news report and predominantly personal opinions on her. I wouldnt consider a third or fourth hand source to be of much validity in an academic context, so why should I in a political one?

Unless you have been through a similar experience, and with no direct contact, what makes your opinion worth a damn thing?
    Its easy to sit at home and judge decisions made in realtime with imperfect data, while you have all the facts neatly laid out on a wiki page and not a care in the world.

and the respect element is for her family. How happy would you be if your mum died and I turned up at your house the next day and told your dad 'Im glad she died, good riddance to bad rubbish'.
    Considering you care so much about the effect she had on people, you seem pretty unconcered with how your actions affect people.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would you be happy when somebody dies. How would you feel if people were rejoicing at the death of your mother or father? How great would that be during a time of mourning, knowing that thousands of people are laughing at their death.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willbee)
    I personally think Maggie gets too much stick. She worsened the lives of loads of people, sure. But she also improved the lives of others. I know my family benefited under her government and we're not rich or anything. I think she did her best and that's all anyone can do at the end of the day.

I also am of the opinion that when someone is dead there is a level of respect that should be shown to them no matter who they were. I think it's a shame people want to party when she dies, she's not been the woman she was for a long time, can't you think of better reasons to throw a party? Most of the people on here weren't even born when she was in power. Yes, she made mistakes, but so does everyone, and I don't think she did anything on the scale of evil that justifies celebrating her death.
    Don't think I said I was gonna have a party or celebrate her death awkward...

Will just continue to dislike her and talk about her in the same way as I do now, ie. not showing her any respect.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember the last time a PM got a state funeral, nor can I think of anyone else who would deserve one.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.