Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does this look to thin?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No, I'm not anorexic.
    Hate this. I'm skinny too. It's worse for me, I think, because I'm a guy and so it's not at all desirable in anyone's mind.

I'm 6 foot 3 with a weight of 8.5 stone and I'm trying to put on weight but it's an uphill struggle. I have to really make an effort to remember to eat though because I never really get hungry. So it's something I can forget to do... So many people are like: no, you want to be skinny, you're starving yourself.

I'm aware I don't eat enough so maybe I am starving myself, but if I am it's not on purpose.

With your case though, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people accuse you of an ED because their jealous of not being skinny themselves, and if anyone is a little too bony nowadays the "ED" label gets thrown around so much that if the subject didn't have body issues before, they probably will by the end of it.

I wouldn't post self-pictures on the internet if I were you. You're clearly already insecure and you're offering yourself up for critical evaluation. Now, thanks to the considerable anonymity of TSR, a lot of people will say things to you that they daren't in real life.

I think you could do with a bit of weight, but so could I, and if you're trying to gain it, that's the best you can do. The only issue (and it's a big one) is that if you're tall your back may develop much weaker than it ought to be which will cause you a lot of problems in old age.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't have a camera with me (am at uni) but this is of me at the weight I am now from when I was dieting. I can't find a front-facing one.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/preview.i...QLIhkm_400.png
    This is the one that I find the most attractive- you're not 'too thin' here at all, but possibly a little bit in the first two you posted. And only a little bit, at that.

That said, you do look good in all of them. I'd say that if you're having medical issues due to not eating enough, then that's a problem- but I wouldn't deliberately put on any extra weight to cater for other people. Just eat enough to keep yourself healthy and keep a decent diet/exercise regime. Definately take on enough calories to mainatain energy for the exercise you do though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    We all have extremely skewed views of our own bodies so its very hard for oneself to critically think about weight sometimes. Its also worth considering why people might comment you are 'too skinny', with the most likely cause being they want to help and for you to be happy and healthy.

Regardless, the body and decision is yours.

You looked better when you were thin, more lean. Just being honest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I don't think you look too thin. You are thin, obviously from all the responses here, but to the extent that you're still within my personal band of what's normal. If you're insecure, gain some weight, but it really isn't that bad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think so too, but I was getting dizzy/tired quite often and my periods stopped for a few months.

I was 104 there and went down to 100, then up to 114. So add 10lbs to that picture...

I'm 5"6 by the way.
    I really think you should seek counselling help ... you're edging towards a very dangerous road of self-harm.

You begin by restricting your caloric intake to 1200 and exercising a lot, and then you start restricting to 600 and exercising even more, and so on and so on until you permanently damage your body. I was the same for four years and developed really horrible bulimia and there are some parts of my body now that have yet to recover from the side-effects of it.

Of course, exercising and dieting gives you a huge sense of self-empowerment, that you're in control of yourself ... and of course, getting compliments about how skinny you look is great and we love it and we want them to keep coming, but then it becomes an obsessions and it's the only thing we can think about from the moment you wake up until the moment you put your head down to sleep. Eventually, you'll never be satisfied and you'll just want to keep losing and losing and losing until you cease to be or look human.

You might not want to hear any of this, I'm sorry but ... please seek help now. Even if you don't think you have a "serious" problem, it'll still be very helpful to talk to a professional, maybe a school/university counselor? If you are already seeing one and you're not satisfied with the help they're providing you with, try seeking somebody else?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wickersham)
    I really think you should seek counselling help ... you're edging towards a very dangerous road of self-harm.

You begin by restricting your caloric intake to 1200 and exercising a lot, and then you start restricting to 600 and exercising even more, and so on and so on until you permanently damage your body. I was the same for four years and developed really horrible bulimia and there are some parts of my body now that have yet to recover from the side-effects of it.

Of course, exercising and dieting gives you a huge sense of self-empowerment, that you're in control of yourself ... and of course, getting compliments about how skinny you look is great and we love it and we want them to keep coming, but then it becomes an obsessions and it's the only thing we can think about from the moment you wake up until the moment you put your head down to sleep. Eventually, you'll never be satisfied and you'll just want to keep losing and losing and losing until you cease to be or look human.

You might not want to hear any of this, I'm sorry but ... please seek help now. Even if you don't think you have a "serious" problem, it'll still be very helpful to talk to a professional, maybe a school/university counselor? If you are already seeing one and you're not satisfied with the help they're providing you with, try seeking somebody else?
    correct me if i am wrong but you have just assumed this girl to have an eating disorder? or have i missed something

OP: if you are trying to lose weight when you look this thin, then you need to get some help as described.
    if you have been losing weight unexpectedly, or lost your appetite, you need to get some help. It could be a hormonal problem or something worse.
    Your periods have stopped- that is a reason to go and see a doctor.
    Good luck.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    skinny, but not too thin. Don't get any thinner though imo!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's around 118.

The pictures have varied from 100-118.

My lowest BMI was 15.9 and highest has been 20.
    I try to, I have lots of vegetables, tofu, beans, lentils and lots of fruit if I can. Generally porridge or bran flakes for breakfast.

My only problem now with food is the tendency to binge if I have even a little bit of something I know I shouldn't.
    The whole point is there is nothing you shouldn't specifically have. Counting calories doesn't work that well because most things that are good for you, eg home made, don't have calories on.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    The old pic is rather thin and sickly but the newer photo after gaining looks perfectly fine from the side view.

If your periods stop you're too thin
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've already gained weight... they started again and I don't get dizzy any more. That stopped as soon as I started eating more. I know I was eating too little and I got really obsessed.

I don't think I really have to tell you that, it's quite personal. Someone confronted me about it and made me tell them what I weighed and then told me how unhealthy they thought I looked. I was also part of an online dieting support thing and they all told me to.
    I don't want to assume I know what's going on with you at the moment but i just wanted to warn you that these habits sound like the lead up to an eating disorder. My friend has had anorexia for the past 5 years, been in and out of hospitals and clinics.. at her smallest she was 4 and a half stone. (bmi 11) Please try to understand that once you go down this path it's very difficult to snap out of it, she said she wouldn't wish it on her worst enemy. I'm not saying your already there I just want to tell what an unhealthy view on your body image can do and if you nip this is the bud now perhaps aiming to get your bmi above the 18.5 threshold you could avoid potentially suffering from an ED.

on another point I'm as tall as you are and weigh 9st(126lb) i'm a size 8/10. I eat healthy but pretty much whatever/how much i like and go running. I have never had anyone criticise me on my weight (boy or girl).

(Original post by rachel0593)
    I don't want to assume I know what's going on with you at the moment but i just wanted to warn you that these habits sound like the lead up to an eating disorder. My friend has had anorexia for the past 5 years, been in and out of hospitals and clinics.. at her smallest she was 4 and a half stone. (bmi 11) Please try to understand that once you go down this path it's very difficult to snap out of it, she said she wouldn't wish it on her worst enemy. I'm not saying your already there I just want to tell what an unhealthy view on your body image can do and if you nip this is the bud now perhaps aiming to get your bmi above the 18.5 threshold you could avoid potentially suffering from an ED.

on another point I'm as tall as you are and weigh 9st(126lb) i'm a size 8/10. I eat healthy but pretty much whatever/how much i like and go running. I have never had anyone criticise me on my weight (boy or girl).
    I would say that my eating isn't normal (whatever normal is) but I have never been extremely underweight (nowhere near 4 and a half a stone) and was never under the illusion that I was fat, I just liked sticking to my diet and seeing it work. And I liked size 6/8s fitting. Clothes looked a lot better

I think if I gain any more weight it would do more harm than good. I'm not an 'unhealthy' weight now.

I've been 9st and it didn't sit well on me. Then again I never exercised really. And I'm too self-concious to go running now..

I hope your friend is okay.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think you look fine. Most certainly not too thin.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wickersham)

Jesus ****ing christ, she's thin. There is a massive massive difference between naturally thin, having a naturally raging metabolism, and having an eating disorder. Maybe you should go and get some doctors qualifications before you go around diagnosing without knowing any of the circumstances.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty disgusting that people are telling you you look ok with a BMI of 16, that is NOT ok, the fact that your periods stopped and you were ill pretty much speaks for itself. You were not healthy. You say you're not happy with your weight now, but were you content with being that thin? Or did you just want to get thinner?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes i'm afraid that does look too thin. You can definitely gain weight and look amazing after! I used to look skinnier than that, because i had an ed, but then i gained 2 stone and sometimes i regret it but i look so much healthier, and so will you! even if you do have days when you regret putting the weight on.

(Original post by iEmily)
    Yes i'm afraid that does look too thin. You can definitely gain weight and look amazing after! I used to look skinnier than that, because i had an ed, but then i gained 2 stone and sometimes i regret it but i look so much healthier, and so will you! even if you do have days when you regret putting the weight on.
    I keep changing my mind about how I feel about it. Sometimes I feel that I can't have been too thin (and therefore didn't even need to gain anything) if people think it looked fine. There were lots of bad parts to it but there were also good, so I do regret it a lot. I think I'm still gaining and I hate it. I'm actually finding it hard to stick to a diet now, which is annoying because before (when I made the decision to gain) I found it hard to eat more.
    I already have gained one stone (I lost 4 more pounds after I took that photo, then gained) in quite a short amount of time and I find it quite embarrassing. If you look at my profile pictures, there isn't a gradual change, I just go from being skinny to not straight away.
    Right now I 100% regret gaining anything, ever. Everything else in my life is such a mess, it would be nice to have something I felt happy with.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I keep changing my mind about how I feel about it. Sometimes I feel that I can't have been too thin (and therefore didn't even need to gain anything) if people think it looked fine. There were lots of bad parts to it but there were also good, so I do regret it a lot. I think I'm still gaining and I hate it. I'm actually finding it hard to stick to a diet now, which is annoying because before (when I made the decision to gain) I found it hard to eat more.
    I already have gained one stone (I lost 4 more pounds after I took that photo, then gained) in quite a short amount of time and I find it quite embarrassing. If you look at my profile pictures, there isn't a gradual change, I just go from being skinny to not straight away.
    Right now I 100% regret gaining anything, ever. Everything else in my life is such a mess, it would be nice to have something I felt happy with.
    Honestly i completely understand how you feel, but i can bet you anything that when you were that skinny you were on a constant diet or a 'life style change' and didn't enjoy life as much as when you don't have to constantly have to worry about what you are eating.
    Because believe it or not, life isn't all about what food and what you eat and how skinny you are. There's life beyond all of that stuff, like feeling good and enjoying your life
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You need to obsess less about your weight and your appearance. There's more to life than how much fat you can pinch off your thigh.

You're not overweight or massively underweight, you're fine, and you'll be more attractive if you're happy and healthy. There are more interesting and fulfilling things in life to spend your time and energy on, and your confidence shouldn't revolve around your weight, but these things.

We're all gonna be grey and wobbly when we're old! Focus on the more meaningful things
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you're gonna have to turn around and focus the camera just a little higher

in order for me to make a valid decision

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.