The Student Room Group

Chemistry HL, P3 (OPTIONS) TZ2 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by arthurhoe123
Yea got that same answer for the hydroxyl group but I remembered that was a question about a steroid comparison as well. The steroid was drawn on the paper . I kinda got the salt question right, I wrote its polar and that it's effect will be greater because it can get absorbed quicker. For the ion diagram I just removed the H not sure about that

I'm terrible at remembering questions from the exams. What was the question on steroid comparison? I remember there was one question on chirality/sympathomimetic properties of amphetamine to epinephrine-- perhaps it was that one?

The ion diagram I removed a H, then put a negative sign where it was and then drew square brackets with a larger negative sign on the top right hand corner to indicate that it was an ion. I'm not sure if that was the right way to approach it though.
Original post by wojdziw
Hey those who did analytical: how many peaks did you give to 1-bromobutane and 2-bromobutane?

4 to both of them

But I messed up on the next question: I could have sworn it was 1-bromo-2-methyl-propane, so I said 4 peaks for that too. Apparently it was 2-bromo-2-methly propane, so it was all symmetrical, so only 1 peak :frown: at least, that's that my HL friends say - I'm SL, so only certain parts of my paper were the same

What did you think about the rest of it?
Reply 22
Original post by kingcoltzan
We did it , and I hated it, didn't do enough practice and didn't study it enough in comparison to P1/2, really think thats going to drop me to a 6 :frown:

And it's ridiculous, in Maths each option has it's own grade boundary, I understand its a bit of a farse to have boundaries for 7 options or whatever there are, but I don't think its fair to grade them all the same.....I wish we hadn't done Further organic, but school forced us.

I did higher further organic for my option and to be honest, it was absolutely rubbish. Paper 3 as a whole wasn't as great as papers 1 and 2.
Reply 23
Original post by johndoe04
I did higher further organic for my option and to be honest, it was absolutely rubbish. Paper 3 as a whole wasn't as great as papers 1 and 2.

It was maybe abit more of explanation than normal, but I didnt mind it!
Reply 24
Original post by beautiful-lion
4 to both of them

But I messed up on the next question: I could have sworn it was 1-bromo-2-methyl-propane, so I said 4 peaks for that too. Apparently it was 2-bromo-2-methly propane, so it was all symmetrical, so only 1 peak :frown: at least, that's that my HL friends say - I'm SL, so only certain parts of my paper were the same

What did you think about the rest of it?

I think it was quite easy - probably easier than Industrial Chemistry. In case of the 2-bromo-2-methylpropane was it one single peak or a splitted one because I couldn't decide?

Hey, and besides: if you are SL, how did you predict that there are four peaks? I am HL so it wasn't that hard, but my SL friends say that splitting and spin-spin coupling is not in the SL syllabus so they could not have done it properly.
Original post by mintaltoids
I'm terrible at remembering questions from the exams. What was the question on steroid comparison? I remember there was one question on chirality/sympathomimetic properties of amphetamine to epinephrine-- perhaps it was that one?

The ion diagram I removed a H, then put a negative sign where it was and then drew square brackets with a larger negative sign on the top right hand corner to indicate that it was an ion. I'm not sure if that was the right way to approach it though.

hm... i didnt put the negative sign.. wonder if i will get marked down for that.. anyway if i am not wrong i think it was before the question about bodybuilders developing female characteristics from steroids. For the bodybuilder question i just wrote they are similar is structure and contain a steroid ring. it was structure of the steroid and either testosterone or progesterone
Original post by wojdziw
I think it was quite easy - probably easier than Industrial Chemistry. In case of the 2-bromo-2-methylpropane was it one single peak or a splitted one because I couldn't decide?

Hey, and besides: if you are SL, how did you predict that there are four peaks? I am HL so it wasn't that hard, but my SL friends say that splitting and spin-spin coupling is not in the SL syllabus so they could not have done it properly.

Well, i know that number of peaks = number of proton environments. So I drew the structures and looked at how many different environments there were. Or, in the case of the methylpropane, I drew the structure incorrectly and therefore predicted it incorrectly :biggrin: I'm wildly hoping that it was 1-bromo-2-methylpropane on the SL paper!

Did you get 4 peaks as well then? And 0.36 for the calibration curve? :biggrin:
Well, i know that number of peaks = number of proton environments. So I drew the structures and looked at how many different environments there were. Or, in the case of the methylpropane, I drew the structure incorrectly and therefore predicted it incorrectly :biggrin: I'm wildly hoping that it was 1-bromo-2-methylpropane on the SL paper!

4 peaks for the first bit. And yeah 0.36 sounds about what I got?

I had 3 peaks for the second bit, and the voice inside my head of my teacher told me at the last second to change it to 1, because it was a symmetrical compound, 3 CH3 groups around a C and something else on the other bond. All of those Hydrogens go into the same environment so it forms one peak consisting of a singlet/no splitting.
Reply 28

Yes to both!!
Reply 29
hm... i didnt put the negative sign.. wonder if i will get marked down for that.. anyway if i am not wrong i think it was before the question about bodybuilders developing female characteristics from steroids. For the bodybuilder question i just wrote they are similar is structure and contain a steroid ring. it was structure of the steroid and either testosterone or progesterone

I wonder if anyone else remembers it... I feel so ashamed for having such a bad memory haha!

I put that bodybuilders developed female characteristics because the extra double bond in the steroid ring made the hormone more similar in structure to estradiol, which is a female hormone
Reply 31
Original post by willamgg1993
I put that bodybuilders developed female characteristics because the extra double bond in the steroid ring made the hormone more similar in structure to estradiol, which is a female hormone

that sounds logical, what a pity that i didn't come up with that on exam :P
Reply 32
Original post by willamgg1993

Yep that's what I put as well. I don't exactly remember what structure but I do remember looking for a difference and stating that as the founding reason for the female characteristics in men taking the steroid because of its similarities with estradiol. :smile:
Reply 33
Yep that's what I put as well. I don't exactly remember what structure but I do remember looking for a difference and stating that as the founding reason for the female characteristics in men taking the steroid because of its similarities with estradiol. :smile:

Damn. Definitely messed that up. You don't want to know what I wrote. Biochem was bad. But better than further organic.
Reply 34
Original post by johndoe04
Damn. Definitely messed that up. You don't want to know what I wrote. Biochem was bad. But better than further organic.

Haha what did you write then? P3 was a breeze, I am so glad I didn't take further organic, even though that was one of the the options our teacher taught.
Reply 35
How did you guys like drugs? The penicillin question of the development of penicillin and how did Fleming discover it were horrible, why the hell is that on a Chemistry exam? Thats for history for god sake. Apart from that it was ok, didnt like the belching question also..
Reply 36
Haha what did you write then? P3 was a breeze, I am so glad I didn't take further organic, even though that was one of the the options our teacher taught.

I put some thing that, upon reflection was mildly amusing. Hope the examiner marks my paper with a smile on his/her face.
Reply 37
Original post by F1Guille
How did you guys like drugs? The penicillin question of the development of penicillin and how did Fleming discover it were horrible, why the hell is that on a Chemistry exam? Thats for history for god sake. Apart from that it was ok, didnt like the belching question also..

I thought biochemistry was harder than drugs, only because it required you to write more. In terms of history recall, it was on the syllabus so I reviewed that. Fleming/staphylococcus/fungi/retarded growth etc. And Florey/Chain/testing on rats/success/Nobel Prize etc. I thought those were freebies tbh, but that's me. The belching question... as in the antacid question where it asked you to draw the equations? That was tricky because I only learnt about sodium BICARBONATE and not magnesium bicarbonate (magnesium hydroxide instead) and on the exam was was about to write out the neutralization of Mg(OH)2 but realized that it was Mg(HCO3)2 instead, which produces H2O, CO2 along with the salt. CO2 is the flatus, or burp, where dimethicone is needed. Silly IB.
I cant remember specifically but i am pretty sure the question was asking us to write a neutralizing reaction for magnesium hydroxide?

I thought biochemistry was harder than drugs, only because it required you to write more. In terms of history recall, it was on the syllabus so I reviewed that. Fleming/staphylococcus/fungi/retarded growth etc. And Florey/Chain/testing on rats/success/Nobel Prize etc. I thought those were freebies tbh, but that's me. The belching question... as in the antacid question where it asked you to draw the equations? That was tricky because I only learnt about sodium BICARBONATE and not magnesium bicarbonate (magnesium hydroxide instead) and on the exam was was about to write out the neutralization of Mg(OH)2 but realized that it was Mg(HCO3)2 instead, which produces H2O, CO2 along with the salt. CO2 is the flatus, or burp, where dimethicone is needed. Silly IB.
Reply 39
I cant remember specifically but i am pretty sure the question was asking us to write a neutralizing reaction for magnesium hydroxide?

Woops, switch over the Mg(OH)2 and Mg(HCO3)2 that I wrote and the whole paragraph will make sense :wink: silly me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending