The Student Room Group

Are chinos chavvy?

Scroll to see replies

If you can look chavvy wearing a shirt, chinos and boat shoes I will applaud you.
Top man chinos yes, old man chinos no. I wear old man chinos to clinical placements and I would be very suprised if anybody said I looked like a chav in them.

Original post by TurboCretin
If you can look chavvy wearing a shirt, chinos and boat shoes I will applaud you.

Really? Chinos with elasticated bottoms/long crotch/super tight ones (read ill-fitting), boat shoes with no socks and a denin shirt tucked in/tucked out. Complete with ill-shaved stubble and gelled up hair, add in a fake tan as well if the image isn't good enough for you.

It's quite easy to look like a chav in a shirt, chinos and boat shoes. It just depends on how you wear them. Granted, if you wear proper fitting pleated chinos, a tidy dress shirt and any decent shoes (boat shoes included) then you won't look like a chav but it's certainly not impossible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RollerBall
Top man chinos yes, old man chinos no. I wear old man chinos to clinical placements and I would be very suprised if anybody said I looked like a chav in them.

Really? Chinos with elasticated bottoms/long crotch/super tight ones (read ill-fitting), boat shoes with no socks and a denin shirt tucked in/tucked out. Complete with ill-shaved stubble and gelled up hair, add in a fake tan as well if the image isn't good enough for you.

It's quite easy to look like a chav in a shirt, chinos and boat shoes. It just depends on how you wear them. Granted, if you wear proper fitting pleated chinos, a tidy dress shirt and any decent shoes (boat shoes included) then you won't look like a chav but it's certainly not impossible.

Aside from the fact that boat shoes are supposed to be worn without socks anyway, I don't think the combination you describe would look chavvy. It wouldn't look good, granted, but it wouldn't look chavvy either.

Also, I've never seen elasticated chinos but they sound abominable.
Original post by willbee

Chav:

The illustration you've provided for a chav is a late 90's cliché.

The modern chav is far closer to what py0alb is ascribing.
Reply 44
I wore cheanos when I was 14 once and everyone laughed at me for it, now those exact people are wearing them, absolute slaves to trends.
Reply 45
Chavs move on, same as everyone else. They tend to just wear the naffest, most outrageously tasteless bits of high street fashion, whatever that may be in any given year. At the moment, it quite clearly includes dropcrotch chinos and big check shirts.

Just look chav shows like TOWIE or Geordie Shore - you won't see anyone in stereotypical 90's chav attire.
Reply 46
since when? i always considered them quaintly middle class...
Reply 47
I think people misuse the word 'chavvy'.... It's become another word for popular in some circles. Snobs who value originality way too highly that they become complete *****.

No chinos are chavvy. Chavs usually wear cheap, outdated track suits.

A lot of young people wear (IMO) stupid chinos which clasp your ankles, but they're not chav's, they're some young people.

There are some nice fashionable chinos which aren't chavvy, and there are some preppy type chinos which are generally associated with posh people.

It's like saying 'are jeans chavvy' when we all know that yes, some jeans are quite chavvy, some are quite cool and some are just middle-age attire.

So to answer your question - your friend is a douche.
I don't think they are chavy. Just really lame.
They used to be Indie, now they're more mainstream, wouldn't say chavvy though. Just everyone wears them with a printed T-shirt from Topshop sporting a tattoo on the arm, with a hat, and usually likes Drake/other rap artists which are becoming mainstream.

I do remember chinos being worn by middle/upper class people though usually with a nice jumper
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Steezy
I think people misuse the word 'chavvy'.... It's become another word for popular in some circles. Snobs who value originality way too highly that they become complete *****.

A lot of young people wear (IMO) stupid chinos which clasp your ankles, but they're not chav's, they're some young people.

There are some nice fashionable chinos which aren't chavvy, and there are some preppy type chinos which are generally associated with posh people.

It's like saying 'are jeans chavvy' when we all know that yes, some jeans are quite chavvy, some are quite cool and some are just middle-age attire.

WIN.
Reply 51
Does it matter? If you're not a chav and don't wear them like a chav, they won't be chavvy.

Honestly, one item of clothing won't make you a chav, just wear them in a way that's very 'you' and you'll look like you, not the possible steriotype associated with then chinos.

But for the love of god, please make sure they fit properly. nothing worse than a man in chino's who looks like he's crapped himself in a nappy.
Reply 52
Original post by Steezy

Not only do chavs not wear "cheap outdated tracksuits", they never did, even when the chav stereotype was originating in the late 90s. To be seen in anything visibly cheap or outdated is the very definition of chav social suicide.

Chavs have always been famous for being impressed by gaudy expensive makes. Most designer clothing nowadays is aimed squarely at the chav market. You always seen people walking around council estates with their ugly armani t-shirts. Why do you think burberry became so popular? The reason jeans were generally shunned is that they didn't display their brand names as easily as highly branded sportswear, thus rendering them pointless.
Reply 53
That's like asking if jeans are chavvy.

I don't understand the chino hate, they've been around for decades or arguably even centuries. Now they're just more popular or mainstream but they have always been worn by many. Arguably the more wealthy types were associated with them.
I wouldn't classify them as chavvy just yet. Chavs only began wearing jeans a couple of years ago I noticed. Before that it was trackies and Burberry caps. I miss the old-style chavs. :frown:

*****EDIT: IMPORTANT - DO CHAVS ACTUALLY EXIST ANYMORE? HAVE THEY SPLIT OFF INTO SEVERAL DIFFERENT AND HARD TO IDENTIFY SUBGROUPS?*****
(edited 11 years ago)
Well, I actually haven't seen so many chavs wear chino's. Well, if they are- then, to be honest- so what? If I still like chinos, I'll wear chinos. Oh, there could be a possibility that satchel bags also become chavy as well
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 56
As has been mentioned several times previously, it all depends on the style of them, and what you wear them with. Burberry is both "chavvy" and high fashion. If you were to wear a real burberry jumper then you'd hardly be chavvy, if you were to wear a knockoff, and a lot of classic burberry tartan, then it is largely seen as chavvy.

This isn't chavvy:

preppy-6-0308-lg.jpg

This is:

upload1266342323424722286.jpg

That is...in my opinion.
Reply 57
Just to clarify - on this and every other of the 1,000 threads about chinos - if people are asking questions like "are chinos cool?" "Are chinos chavvy?" "are chinos fashionable?", they're quite obviously talking about the huge influx of ugly coloured and badly fitting chinos that have flooded the high st in the past year or two, not normal straight leg chinos as worn by middle class people to summer garden parties.
Reply 58
Original post by py0alb
Not only do chavs not wear "cheap outdated tracksuits", they never did, even when the chav stereotype was originating in the late 90s. To be seen in anything visibly cheap or outdated is the very definition of chav social suicide.

Chavs have always been famous for being impressed by gaudy expensive makes. Most designer clothing nowadays is aimed squarely at the chav market. You always seen people walking around council estates with their ugly armani t-shirts. Why do you think burberry became so popular? The reason jeans were generally shunned is that they didn't display their brand names as easily as highly branded sportswear, thus rendering them pointless.

I'm yet to see chav's wearing chinos though.
Chino's are great just to wear with a polo.
Topman normally do great ones , I don't think it is at all chavvy especially as there are lot's of different types of chino's .

Quick Reply

Latest