The Student Room Group
Be more careful?
Reply 2
Some of these might be due to reading the question wrong and I find that highlighting key words e.g. inverse proportion helps avoid silly errors. Otherwise, you have to try and slow yourself down and double check your work thoroughly! :smile:
Reply 3
Try and calm down if you're feeling a bit anxious. One of the main reasons people make silly mistakes in exams is because they're panicking so if this is relevant to you try to take a deep breath and remind yourself that you are fully capable of doing it. I'm not sure if nerves apply to you though.

Mainly just check carefully for a few seconds after you've finished each question. When I say 'carefully' I mean look 'REALLY carefully'. I am not sure if this only happens to me but sometimes I get a bit cocky and think 'That was an easy question so I probably got it right' and only check over it briefly but not carefully. So even if it is an easy question check over it carefully.

When you write out equations make sure you look at each one and think 'Is that really correct?'

Best of luck and you can do it.
Reply 4
Original post by books28
Some of these might be due to reading the question wrong and I find that highlighting key words e.g. inverse proportion helps avoid silly errors. Otherwise, you have to try and slow yourself down and double check your work thoroughly! :smile:

Seems like a good trick. Thanks for sharing.

Original post by pollyrose
Try and calm down if you're feeling a bit anxious. One of the main reasons people make silly mistakes in exams is because they're panicking so if this is relevant to you try to take a deep breath and remind yourself that you are fully capable of doing it. I'm not sure if nerves apply to you though.

Mainly just check carefully for a few seconds after you've finished each question. When I say 'carefully' I mean look 'REALLY carefully'. I am not sure if this only happens to me but sometimes I get a bit cocky and think 'That was an easy question so I probably got it right' and only check over it briefly but not carefully. So even if it is an easy question check over it carefully.

When you write out equations make sure you look at each one and think 'Is that really correct?'

I regularly meditate so I'm calm most of the time.

Same, I noticed my silly mistakes are mostly on easy questions. This is probably where double checking comes important. The only issue is sometimes it takes too much time, so I'll just probably do it after answering all the questions.

Thanks for the replies
Reply 5
Original post by Alpha-Omega
I was answering questions and all the methods I was doing was correct, problem is my answers were wrong due to silly mistakes.

For example: in m=E/c2, I forgot to square c. OR in I=L/4πd2, I forgot to include

A trick we use at Undergrad level is called "sanity checking" - essentially know the sort of answer you're aiming for and check your answer is of the right order of magnitude.

eg if you have m=E/c2 and an energy of order 101010^{10}J, c2 is of order 101610^{16} so you expect an answer of m of order 10610^{-6}Kg

similarly if you were working out something relating to the size of an atom, they are all of order 101010^{-10}m
You should leave like 10minutes of your exam time free to check through the whole paper again...most of the time we feel that a question is too easy do it fast and end up making calculation mistakes! You should also read each and every word of the question and try and understand its meaning...most of the questions have a hint of the answers if you read them! :smile:
Reply 7
Make a list of your common mistakes - not squaring something is on a lot of lists. Then look for those erros if you have time.

My most common mistake is just copying data from the question wrong so I always double check as I write it down.
Original post by pollyrose

Yeah I'd agree with this. Had a GCSE exam today, and I admit I was in a panic as I thought I would run out of time. Don't be, take a breath and read through it properly. You know the stuff plenty of revision has been done so its just a case of being wise and doing justice to your revision lol!
one thing that helps me is mock exams. Time yourself, if you know you can do it in the time allotted then you will do the main exam in the time too.
That helps me relax.

Also, make sure you go over all your work again before the time runs out (if you have time of course!)
Try to give yourself time to check over the whole paper at the end by working fast, (don't rush) this applies in some papers more than others.

My top tip would be to write a quick note on the first page for when you go to check things as a reminder. For example for M1 Maths I wrote "g" and "cos/sin" to remind myself to check I took gravity into account where it was needed and to check that I resolved forces correctly; in this case you could write "E=mc^2" and circle the squared :smile:
Reply 11
in order to avoid silly mistakes, first of all you should learn your formulas at home by writing on the paper regularly and in the exam use your conscious mind and eyes very active, be careful every time and just feel what you mare writing. when you do this i am pretty sure that you will be able to score good in the exams
Reply 12
relax. masturbate before the exam to get rid of any nerves

Latest