Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Before moving in

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I will be moving to the UK to start a phd in september. I am planning to rent a flat and I was wondering, assuming that I find one and sign the contract, what other things need to be done before I can move in? I mean like arranging electricity, gas etc (if they are not included in the rent). How long do these things take?

Regards,
    Gjergji
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather (am moving into a shared house in July), you just have to inform the gas / electricity / water companies that you have moved in. They won't shut off the supply, they will just update their records so that the bills come to you (rather than the old tenants), starting from the day you moved in

Also, you'll have to tell the local council that you're a student and therefore not liable for council tax, and redirect any post from your current home address.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    As you won't be able to assess the danger before you enter the building, it's best to approach with caution, and then do a barrel roll across the threshold and into the porch.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    As you won't be able to assess the danger before you enter the building, it's best to approach with caution, and then do a barrel roll across the threshold and into the porch.
    And if you see things are about to kick off, get out of there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gjergji,

As mentioned already inform the gas & electric supplier and give them a meter reading, just in case the previous tenant hasn't done it. Contact the water supplier, TV licensing (which should be free for a student), the council and you might need to arrange for internet access.

Many of this things can be done with one phone call or online.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.