Just one sec...
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Before moving in

Announcements Posted on
Win a year's supply of BIC stationery for the new academic year! 20-08-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hello! I will be moving to the UK to start a phd in september. I am planning to rent a flat and I was wondering, assuming that I find one and sign the contract, what other things need to be done before I can move in? I mean like arranging electricity, gas etc (if they are not included in the rent). How long do these things take?


    From what I gather (am moving into a shared house in July), you just have to inform the gas / electricity / water companies that you have moved in. They won't shut off the supply, they will just update their records so that the bills come to you (rather than the old tenants), starting from the day you moved in

    Also, you'll have to tell the local council that you're a student and therefore not liable for council tax, and redirect any post from your current home address.

    As you won't be able to assess the danger before you enter the building, it's best to approach with caution, and then do a barrel roll across the threshold and into the porch.

    (Original post by Ham22)
    As you won't be able to assess the danger before you enter the building, it's best to approach with caution, and then do a barrel roll across the threshold and into the porch.
    And if you see things are about to kick off, get out of there.


    As mentioned already inform the gas & electric supplier and give them a meter reading, just in case the previous tenant hasn't done it. Contact the water supplier, TV licensing (which should be free for a student), the council and you might need to arrange for internet access.

    Many of this things can be done with one phone call or online.


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

How do you sleep?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22

Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.