Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muscle ache after exercise...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello fitness gurus.

Basically, though I've always done some amount of cardio, I've recently decided to kind of...step up my exercise routine a notch. So I got a personal trainer and mostly we do stuff with weights. He's also made me a few programmes to follow at the gym for when I'm not training with him.

The things is, it's totally killing me! I can do 40 mins to an hour of cardio and sure, be a bit achey the next day but nothing that drastic. But this is like...making walking ridiculously painful. Walking up and particularly down stairs is near impossible. My body is generally a bit stiff but that's ok...it's just my poor poor legs that are really bad!

Anyway I wanted to know what tips people had for either making the aches better (I tried a hot bath yesterday but I wasn't really very achey straight after-it's the next day that really gets me) or for preventing them from getting this bad to begin with? Obviously my personal trainer makes sure I stretch everything that should be stretched. but for example...should I be trying to work these muscles more? Maybe go for a run? Or should I try and not use them at all for a certain amount of time afterwards? Yesterday after the gym I just continued on my usually daily activities, which involves quite a bit of walking. Today I had a day of rest planned anyway but I really want to go to the gym tomorrow, just don't know if I will be able to with all the pain

tl;dr? I am a weakling and exercise makes me ache despite doing relevant stretches etc. What can I do to either prevent this in the future or improve the situation right now? The pain is predominantly in my legs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by campy)
    Hello fitness gurus.

Basically, though I've always done some amount of cardio, I've recently decided to kind of...step up my exercise routine a notch. So I got a personal trainer and mostly we do stuff with weights. He's also made me a few programmes to follow at the gym for when I'm not training with him.

The things is, it's totally killing me! I can do 40 mins to an hour of cardio and sure, be a bit achey the next day but nothing that drastic. But this is like...making walking ridiculously painful. Walking up and particularly down stairs is near impossible. My body is generally a bit stiff but that's ok...it's just my poor poor legs that are really bad!

Anyway I wanted to know what tips people had for either making the aches better (I tried a hot bath yesterday but I wasn't really very achey straight after-it's the next day that really gets me) or for preventing them from getting this bad to begin with? Obviously my personal trainer makes sure I stretch everything that should be stretched. but for example...should I be trying to work these muscles more? Maybe go for a run? Or should I try and not use them at all for a certain amount of time afterwards? Yesterday after the gym I just continued on my usually daily activities, which involves quite a bit of walking. Today I had a day of rest planned anyway but I really want to go to the gym tomorrow, just don't know if I will be able to with all the pain

tl;dr? I am a weakling and exercise makes me ache despite doing relevant stretches etc. What can I do to either prevent this in the future or improve the situation right now? The pain is predominantly in my legs.
    As you said, you "recently decided to step up your exercise routine" so your body is not used to this new pressure yet. Give it some time, your body will adjust. After a week or two you won't feel those aches anymore, they will attenuate over time.

For now, I don't know if you can do anything about it. Some people take what's called BCAAs which apparently help muscles recover faster. But I don't think you're at a point where you need to start taking those kind of supplements... Just embrace the ache, personally I love that feeling
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A bit sore going up stairs is alright after a heavy session but not near impossible- it's called delayed onset muscle soreness. So either you are being a wimp or you need to make sure they are getting enough rest between working them heavy. If you are training them every session that that'll be the problem- try every other session
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    do u do a cool down after your exercise sessions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah, it's normal to feel aches the day after a workout. I heard a cold bath is good. A lot of people say it works wonders. Doing a cool down, stretching after your workout, etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do a cool down. Yeah especially yesterday my personal trainer has been going really tough on me! Yeah sometimes I literally worry that if I wasn't holding tightly onto a handrail my legs might give in and I'll just fall down the stairs. Taking a break today anyway, Just did some core work. Leaving my legs well alone.
    Hopefully you're right chad_bro_chill and I will get used to this. Thanks guys
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are putting your body through more stress than usual, of course it will react. It's just doms.

Link here for all the info you need on the subject - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...highlight=doms
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    cool thanks very much! will just try and suffer through it I guess haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When stepping up to a new level of exercise DOMS is inevitable but I often find it is lessened if I consume protein based supplements within about 20 mins of finishing the exercise, products like CNP pro recover are specifically for this purpose with fast acting carbs, protein and BCAA's.
    Also splitting up muscle groups so that you dont train the same ones 2 days in a row, giving them time to recover, stretching etc helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting from square one and have had some serious DOMS issues this week. You should have seen me walking around yesterday, my knees kept locking out and doing silly flail-ey things...I gather that I keep this up for a couple of weeks it will get less severe?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, you'll get use to it. You're not made of glass.

I should say that a bit of magnesium supplementation never goes amiss.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cohen)
    I'm starting from square one and have had some serious DOMS issues this week. You should have seen me walking around yesterday, my knees kept locking out and doing silly flail-ey things...I gather that I keep this up for a couple of weeks it will get less severe?
    Yep, your body will get used to the exercises and will stop getting DOMS after a few times doing them! It also helps to keep moving even though it's painful. Go to the gym and do some light work/stretching/foam rolling etc. It's hard to motivate yourself when you're achey but it really helps!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It means your working hard, frankly I'm disappointed if I don't wake up aching like a bitch after hitting the weights.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    DOMS - look it up
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Yep, your body will get used to the exercises and will stop getting DOMS after a few times doing them! It also helps to keep moving even though it's painful. Go to the gym and do some light work/stretching/foam rolling etc. It's hard to motivate yourself when you're achey but it really helps!
    I didn't have any option but to get off my arse and cycle to uni the next day so no issue there (apart from being pretty darn uncomfortable!). I'll have to see what happens this time next week, fingers crossed...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    DOMS is normal and to be expected.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try a post-workout drink, it helps alot.

I often take 4:1 carbs : protein formulated drink.

May I ask, where exactly is the pain/sore at? Do take it seriously because it might end up being a typical runner injury such as IT band syndrome aka runners knee or shin splint, which hurts alot.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.