Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Healthcare Assistant Job - pay??

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I am hoping to apply for postgrad medicine to start September 2013 and will be working as a Healthcare Assistant hopefully up until then. I am due to start my position in a Trauma ward next month.

This was just just a question about pay for any of you who may already be working as a HCA for the NHS. I know my annual salary is 14,153 but I have a 30 hour contract involving 6 hour shifts - earlys (7.30-1.30), lates (3.30-9.30) and nights after I have been working there a while.

Can anyone in a similar position tell me how pay works? I am aware it might vary between areas but based on your experience.. is it paid monthly? Is there a specific date each month you are paid? And on starting, do they take the first month in arrears or..? I am due to start in mid-June - do you think this means I won't actually see any funds until late July? I am excited for the job in terms of work experience, but would be fab to know when I could expect to be paid too!

Would really appreciate replies from anyone who has an idea? Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can't tell you much as I don't work for the NHS and am a bank HCA but seeing as no one else has replied...can you not contact the human resources people at the hospital you're going to be working at to see if they can explain their payroll system to you? I'm sure they wouldn't mind one bit!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Usually staff are paid monthly, if youre only working 30 hours a week instead of full time then your salary will be calculated on your hours, so you won't get the full 14153 pa. You will get enhancements for working unsocial hours though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies both I spoke to them again today and apparently it should all be explained to me a couple of weeks before I start by my shift manager. Annoyed it's a 30 hour contract rather than 'proper' full-time, but hopefully potential enhancements will make up for it a bit. Thanks again for your help.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.