Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't afford university deposit - need advice

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 18 years old and i'm applying for my university accommodation. However, I can't afford the £200 (well £500 in total, but £200 for now) deposit - I don't work as i'm too busy with college, my mum doesn't earn enough to have a penny spare, nor do we have any other family.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and what they did about it. Or if anyone has any advice for me, I'll kindly take any!

Thanks a bunch!
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Since when do you have to put down a deposit for halls? (unless you are applying to private halls).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rchde)
    Hi, I'm 18 years old and i'm applying for my university accommodation. However, I can't afford the £200 (well £500 in total, but £200 for now) deposit - I don't work as i'm too busy with college, my mum doesn't earn enough to have a penny spare, nor do we have any other family.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and what they did about it. Or if anyone has any advice for me, I'll kindly take any!

Thanks a bunch!
    Talk to the university - they'll probably be able to help.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sort something out with the university, or use your student overdraft once you have one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I emailed the company who are doing the halls (if it helps it's DIGS for Huddersfield), should I email the university itself?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shani)
    Sort something out with the university, or use your student overdraft once you have one.
    I thought that but it needs to be paid before september and I get it late september
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rchde)
    I thought that but it needs to be paid before september and I get it late september
    You get what in late September? You'll get student finance then, but student bank accounts are usually opened in the Summer before you start uni.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shani)
    You get what in late September? You'll get student finance then, but student bank accounts are usually opened in the Summer before you start uni.
    Oh really? I didn't know that... And is that the overdraft that doesn't have interest? Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rchde)
    Oh really? I didn't know that... And is that the overdraft that doesn't have interest? Thanks
    If you're successful in applying for a student bank account with an interest free overdraft, yes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    BUt often the overdrafts arn't activated until you pay money into them. Mine wasn't activated until £300 had been paid in (though then I could take out hte £300 plus overdraft if i had wanted to). So it may also be worth contacting the university, the halls and or talking to your bank about when the overdraft activates
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oneperson)
    BUt often the overdrafts arn't activated until you pay money into them. Mine wasn't activated until £300 had been paid in (though then I could take out hte £300 plus overdraft if i had wanted to). So it may also be worth contacting the university, the halls and or talking to your bank about when the overdraft activates
    Thats easy, OP if this is the case then just get your parents to deposit £300 (or XXX amount) into the account. Your overdraft will be activated and then you can pay back your parents within minutes. peace
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've gotta work if you wanna pay, I had to.
    Sell some things if you can't get a job.

"Too busy with college" is made up nonsense by lazy people. How do you think the rest of us do it? I came out with top grades from my college and some weeks I was working full time hours on top of it.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    If its university owned halls ring them up and they may be able to help. I know someone who rang up and only had to pay £50 of their deposit, the rest was just added onto the accomodation bill for first term. If its Unite/private halls you're ****ed. I can't see them being as lenient.

(Original post by oneperson)
    Only with certain banks. I got the £500 overdraft from Lloyds before i'd even paid a penny into my account.

Although i was 20 and had built up a reasonable credit rating, don't know if that would have made any difference.

(Original post by RubberDUB)
    Thats easy, OP if this is the case then just get your parents to deposit £300 (or XXX amount) into the account. Your overdraft will be activated and then you can pay back your parents within minutes. peace
    So after the OP says that his parents can't afford to pay a £200 deposit, your response is to suggest his parents give him £300? Brilliant logic! :facepalm:
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaross)
    You've gotta work if you wanna pay, I had to.
    Sell some things if you can't get a job.

"Too busy with college" is made up nonsense by lazy people. How do you think the rest of us do it? I came out with top grades from my college and some weeks I was working full time hours on top of it.
    err college is not university mate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    err college is not university mate.
    I'm second year at uni, I've worked night shifts and overtime in the days most of this year and averaged over 80% so far. And I'm breezing through exams.

It's called work ethic, try it. Don't moan your course is too hard if you sleep in til gone midday and go out on the piss with mum and dads pension fund 5 times a week.

Also, the guy is likely still at college if he's 18. Infact no, he stated it in his post.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm second year at uni, I've worked night shifts and overtime in the days most of this year and averaged over 80% so far. And I'm breezing through exams.

It's called work ethic, try it. Don't moan your course is too hard if you sleep in til gone midday and go out on the piss with mum and dads pension fund 5 times a week.

Also, the guy is likely still at college if he's 18. Infact no, he stated it in his post.
    Lol, you study at Plymouth.

That's not work ethic, it's simply being **** academically and compensating with a shelf stacking job.

Do a real degree then come back here with you condescending 'advice'

OP: Call the uni, they will be the best people to advise you further.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    Lol, you study at Plymouth.

That's not work ethic, it's simply being **** academically and compensating with a shelf stacking job.

Do a real degree then come back here with you condescending 'advice'

OP: Call the uni, they will be the best people to advise you further.
    Funny how I chose Plymouth, I also choose to work and earn a living, I'm an adult and student loans don't pay the way.
    I actually worked in the university library on an 18k pro rata salary, not some shelf stacking job. If I'd gone for a supervisors position it would have been more like 22k pro rata but the hours were crap.

I could have gone to some depressing red brick place, more than enough ucas points, I even applied to bristol and oxford just to proove I'd get a place. But the thing is, my line of work, a degree doesn't matter, thats just your foot in the door. It's your portfolio which counts.
    So I chose a place I liked, with a reasonable business school.

Also, I don't just study business, my long term plans lie in property development. I study structural engineering and architecture, independantly and on the sly I attend certain lectures.

And to annoy my marketing lecturer and proove having a doctorate from a redbrick doesn't instantly make you gods gift, I've been writing an original dissertation on the neurological and physiolgical affects marketing campaigns can have on the human body. Because I can, if I can get it published I will, just to proove it doesn't matter where you go and what level you're qualified to. Ability and determination is what matters.

And that my friend is what sets me apart from the other candidates who will be applying for graduate jobs, a first level graduate from oxford who just did what was expected or required or a first level candidate from Plymouth with several published academic papers and a diverse portfolio of volunteering at marketing departments. If you just do what everyone else is doing you're no further ahead, think about it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Funny how I chose Plymouth, I also choose to work and earn a living, I'm an adult and student loans don't pay the way.
    I actually worked in the university library on an 18k pro rata salary, not some shelf stacking job. If I'd gone for a supervisors position it would have been more like 22k pro rata but the hours were crap.

I could have gone to some depressing red brick place, more than enough ucas points, I even applied to bristol and oxford just to proove I'd get a place. But the thing is, my line of work, a degree doesn't matter, thats just your foot in the door. It's your portfolio which counts.
    So I chose a place I liked, with a reasonable business school.

Also, I don't just study business, my long term plans lie in property development. I study structural engineering and architecture, independantly and on the sly I attend certain lectures.

And to annoy my marketing lecturer and proove having a doctorate from a redbrick doesn't instantly make you gods gift, I've been writing an original dissertation on the neurological and physiolgical affects marketing campaigns can have on the human body. Because I can, if I can get it published I will, just to proove it doesn't matter where you go and what level you're qualified to. Ability and determination is what matters.

And that my friend is what sets me apart from the other candidates who will be applying for graduate jobs, a first level graduate from oxford who just did what was expected or required or a first level candidate from Plymouth with several published academic papers and a diverse portfolio of volunteering at marketing departments. If you just do what everyone else is doing you're no further ahead, think about it.
    Learn to spell, then we can talk yah.

Also, did you get a place?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm not going derail this thread by arguing with a troll on here. If you want to PM me to chat more ****, go ahead. Happy to oblige
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You do know that pointing out minor spelling mistakes in an otherwise perfect response just points to the fact you have no reasonable comeback, or maybe you are just too lazy to come up with one.

Yes, I got offers from everywhere I applied.

I have no time to argue with close minded elitists who don't strive to go beyond the limits of traditional education, so I'll have to politely decline your invitation to PM. Ultimately I will have the last laugh.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Get a job during the summer if you're too busy now.. You can't be that busy once you finish your exams, sounds like you're just being a bit lazy saying you don't have enough time.
    I've been working part time, 7-14 hours per week, on top of doing 5 As levels +EPQ this year (and getting good grades), so it's not impossible to have a job on top of College.

But like others said, the university would probably be able to sort something out.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.