Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Offer revoked

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just had my offer revoked from a BB for an internship.

Purely based on my criminal conviction they felt this was 100% justified even though the crime I committed didn't post risk to the firm in anyway whatsoever! It was graffiti, something which I did when I was very very very young, 14.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonfa)
    Just had my offer revoked from a BB for an internship.

Purely based on my criminal conviction they felt this was 100% justified even though the crime I committed didn't post risk to the firm in anyway whatsoever! It was graffiti, something which I did when I was very very very young, 14.
    Did you not declare it on the form? It shouldn't have been a problem as I'm presuming it would be classed as 'spent' by now? (over 5 years ago).

Usually its not the criminal conviction that's a problem, unless it is financial related, theft or other serious offences like mass murder. Lying or not declaring it that gives them the excuse.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose53)
    Did you not declare it on the form? It shouldn't have been a problem as I'm presuming it would be classed as 'spent' by now? (over 5 years ago).

Usually its not the criminal conviction that's a problem, unless it is financial related, theft or other serious offences like mass murder. Lying or not declaring it that gives them the excuse.

I had no questions about criminal conviction when I went through my application. This question was only asked when I was going through the onboarding process, however, when I received the offer I told them that I had a criminal conviction and they said they'd look into this further during the onboarding process.

Unfortunately my conviction is not spent, it is unspent. I received a custodial sentence of more than 12 months. You might not believe this but this is the truth. I was sent to prison for graffiti offences. My offence was conspiracy to commit criminal damage, so the conspiracy made it slightly worse.

I was 100% honest throughout the process. Only thing that really bugs me is that I am left with nothing to do over the summer and have to go through the whole process in september again for graduate apps, not to mention the competition will be fiercer as others would probably have a summer internship under their belt!
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had no questions about criminal conviction when I went through my application. This question was only asked when I was going through the onboarding process, however, when I received the offer I told them that I had a criminal conviction and they said they'd look into this further during the onboarding process.

Unfortunately my conviction is not spent, it is unspent. I received a custodial sentence of more than 12 months. You might not believe this but this is the truth. I was sent to prison for graffiti offences. My offence was conspiracy to commit criminal damage, so the conspiracy made it slightly worse.

I was 100% honest throughout the process. Only thing that really bugs me is that I am left with nothing to do over the summer and have to go through the whole process in september again for graduate apps, not to mention the competition will be fiercer as others would probably have a summer internship under their belt!
    12 months?! Did you graffiti the queen herself? :lolwut:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    deal with it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    deal with it

It's lucky you hate teeth, I expect a few people have wanted to knock yours out over the years.

Maybe call and ask why? If you didn't specifically tell them what the criminal conviction was then maybe it would be an idea to, they may think you've killed someone or something? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    12 months?! Did you graffiti the queen herself? :lolwut:
    I actually got more than 12 months.

The prime reason we received custodial sentences was because of the damage that was caused was quite high in terms of £££, so this was one of the main reasons.

I know people who have been done for GBH section 18 (wounding with intent), and got suspended sentences. Unfortunately this is just the way the system works.

The courts failed to see that the crime was committed when we were very young and the fact that we had stopped way before we were even arrested.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyyImRyan)
    It's lucky you hate teeth, I expect a few people have wanted to knock yours out over the years.

Maybe call and ask why? If you didn't specifically tell them what the criminal conviction was then maybe it would be an idea to, they may think you've killed someone or something? :confused:
    They asked for court documents which I sent to them. They failed to give me the opportunity to put my case forward to them and demonstrate all the good things I had done since being released.

I was helped by a charity when I was released from prison and I am one of the very fortunate people whose success story has been very high profile. I put all this information forward to them after they had revoked my offer and they failed to take this into account.

The reason they revoked my offer was because of the conspiracy part, as they believe this is a potential risk to the trading floor. They failed to see the bigger picture and understand the conspiracy was purely related to graffiti, i.e. we planned to go spray paint a wall. The firm clearly knew this was graffiti, yet I don't know how they still looked at me as a risk. I've got a lot of work experience and have been security cleared to work in some very sensitive areas previously, and this still wasn't enough to persuade to them that I was no risk to them.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I actually got more than 12 months.

The prime reason we received custodial sentences was because of the damage that was caused was quite high in terms of £££, so this was one of the main reasons.

I know people who have been done for GBH section 18 (wounding with intent), and got suspended sentences. Unfortunately this is just the way the system works.

The courts failed to see that the crime was committed when we were very young and the fact that we had stopped way before we were even arrested.
    That is utterly ridiculous, didn't you appeal?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately the Court of Appeal have previously ruled custodial sentences can be handed out for graffiti offences (there was a big case before where some people were sent down for graffiti and they appealed against there sentences). So therefore my defence team recommended me not to appeal against my sentence based on the previous cases outcome. If I did appeal and was unsuccessful, there was a risk that the time I had already spent in custody was not going to be taken into account. This would mean to me serving double of my sentence. I therefore decided to go against appealing my sentence.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is utterly ridiculous, didn't you appeal?
    Unfortunately the Court of Appeal have previously ruled custodial sentences can be handed out for graffiti offences (there was a big case before where some people were sent down for graffiti and they appealed against there sentences). So therefore my defence team recommended me not to appeal against my sentence based on the previous cases outcome. If I did appeal and was unsuccessful, there was a risk that the time I had already spent in custody was not going to be taken into account. This would mean to me serving double of my sentence. I therefore decided to go against appealing my sentence.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had you been arrested before or something? What exactly did you do? I just can't see how they can give a sizeable custodial sentence to a 14 year old for doing a bit of graffiti...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow that sucks. It should be spent soon though I assume.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

12 months in prison for graffiti?

I don't think you are giving us the whole story...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should have thought about your future when you committed the crime. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had you been arrested before or something? What exactly did you do? I just can't see how they can give a sizeable custodial sentence to a 14 year old for doing a bit of graffiti...
    No previous offences at all.

Offence was graffiti, which occurred from over a period of time, and I started when I was 14 (when the first offence was committed). Unfortunately it wasn't a bit of graffiti, a considerable amount of time was spent over a course of a couple of years spray painting walls and trains.

If you google graffiti artists jailed, you'll see quite a few cases come up where people have been jailed. Unfortunately in this day and age people to get jailed for graffiti.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgesundae)
    12 months in prison for graffiti?

I don't think you are giving us the whole story...
    Conspiracy to commit criminal damage was the offence, the value they said I had caused damage was over £30k. This was one of the primary reasons why I was jailed.

The article below is an example of where people have been jailed, just a couple random one's I have got from google:

http://www.rail-news.com/2010/04/30/...for-18-months/

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/686868-t...ti-gang-jailed

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtime...__270k_damage/
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No previous offences at all.

Offence was graffiti, which occurred from over a period of time, and I started when I was 14 (when the first offence was committed). Unfortunately it wasn't a bit of graffiti, a considerable amount of time was spent over a course of a couple of years spray painting walls and trains.

If you google graffiti artists jailed, you'll see quite a few cases come up where people have been jailed. Unfortunately in this day and age people to get jailed for graffiti.
    Unfortunately? Should it be rewarded? :eek:

Why do you draw on other people's property? Because of that stupidity look at your situation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonnyZH)
    Unfortunately? Should it be rewarded? :eek:

Why do you draw on other people's property? Because of that stupidity look at your situation.

Certainly agree, it was stupid of me. I just think the prison was a bit excessive.

My point of this thread was to primarily highlight the fact that IB's may not necessarily look positively at anyone that has a criminal conviction.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My point of this thread was to primarily highlight the fact that IB's may not necessarily look positively at anyone that has a criminal conviction.
    Of course they won't, they have lots of applicants without criminal convictions why would they take any chances and take an applicant with one?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 26, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.