The Student Room Group

Foundation year

Hi im 18 and looking to go back to studying

I left my A levels after AS and have been in employment ever since.

i am hoping to study physics, im not to keen on going back to do A levels, as it might not be an option.

looking at doing a foundation year, im wondering would studying open university modules be the best way to go about doing this? If so what level and how many credits would i need? i dont really know anything about the OU, how would a pay for the modules?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by whiteing
Hi im 18 and looking to go back to studying

I left my A levels after AS and have been in employment ever since.

i am hoping to study physics, im not to keen on going back to do A levels, as it might not be an option.

looking at doing a foundation year, im wondering would studying open university modules be the best way to go about doing this? If so what level and how many credits would i need? i dont really know anything about the OU, how would a pay for the modules?

I can't answer any of your questions regarding open university, however I thought it might be worth mentioning that University of Leeds runs a 'Physics with Foundation Studies' programme.

It might be worth checking out.

http://www.physics.leeds.ac.uk/admissions/courses/physics-with-foundation-studies/
Reply 2
I would apply but atm i doubt i'd have a chance of getting in :\ my gcse's were all B/Cs and i left my AS levels.

I assume i would need to do some form qualification before i would have a chance of getting in :\ shall apply next year and see what happens :P
Reply 3
Not all unis will accept OU credits for entry so if you have ideas of specific unis you want to go to it might be a good idea to ask them. Also, the OU courses are not a foundation year as you want - they're degree level and designed to therefore be first year of degree standard. There are some simpler maths modules that may be appropriate for your level, but they're not the right subject area.
Reply 4
HI

I'm hoping to study physics at uni

problem is i have quite bad GCSEs (B's ans C's)
Left A levels at AS

I'm having a gap year working and what not.

I have applied to do A levels in maths physics and geography (college doesnt have much choice)
however i may not be able to do a physics A level. May be able to self teach however may not be able to sit some exams.

What should i do?:P

I would like to do a foundation year, however i doubt i'd have a chance of getting in atm.

Advice?:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Some foundation years will let you in with 80 UCAS points, so have a look around. My boyfriend is doing a foundation year at york uni for engineering with one C at a level (in english literature). Look into access courses too.
Reply 6
Original post by whiteing
I would apply but atm i doubt i'd have a chance of getting in :\ my gcse's were all B/Cs and i left my AS levels.

I assume i would need to do some form qualification before i would have a chance of getting in :\ shall apply next year and see what happens :P

The point of a foundation year is to allow people without the appropriate qualifications for degree level to go to uni. That particular course states: "The foundation year is designed specifically for those who do not have the appropriate, traditional qualifications to enrol on any of our other 3 Year BSc degree programmes that we provide."
Therefore, you won't necessarily need A levels and great GCSE grades.
Reply 7
Ah right :smile: cheers for the replys:smile: i shall apply next whenever you apply and hope for the best:smile: shall also try doing as much studying and shiz in the mean time :smile:

tarrrr

Quick Reply