The Student Room Group

Taking your theory test? Read this!

So I've just taken my theory test, less than one month after my 17th birthday, and I passed.

I'm writing this thread to clear up some worries I had.

1. The DSA have stopped releasing questions. Does this mean I need to read the highway code over and over?

No. I revised from the DSA official app on my iPod, and may questions on the test were the same as the app. I think only three of my questions were ones that I really didn't have a clue about. Don't worry about new questions. They are simple and are usually easy to guess, just use common sense and don't over complicate it.

2. How much should I practice the Hazard Perception Test?
I just revised a few videos, but the problem is once you have done it once, you can't really do it again for the same effect. What I did, was click each time I saw a potential hazard- car at junction, people walking along pavement etc- and then click about three more times when I see the hazard changing (You can tell when the hazard changes because it will become apparent that you will need to slow down or change direction)

3. Am I ready, even though I haven't revised for as long as others?
Probably you are ready. I revised for less than a month, just reading the topics on my ipod and doing mock tests. I did about 12 mock tests in total, and kept getting passes. Other people take longer to learn, but this doesn't matter.

4. What should I take?
Your (new) green provisional license (both parts).

5. I'm really worried about the Hazard perception test. Is it really that hard?
No. Trust me, if you click when you see a potential hazard then CLICK (don't do this toooo much though, I mean don't click like every 2 seconds). You need to get an average of 3 on each clip, but remember if you get 4 on two clips, then you can afford to get 2 on another two clips.

Really, it's not that bad. What's the worst that can happen, you fail and have to pay another £31. I was worried that I hadn't revised enough.

I recommend you buy the DSA official app- its on iTunes and doesn't cost lots.

Also, the HPT clips are better quality that the free ones on the internet. I didn't buy a disk to practise, and I didn't need one.

Good Luck!

(Feel free to ask me other questions)

---

Hazard Perception Test
This is by far the most confusing/ difficult part of the test. To revise for it, you can find many clips online. In the actual test, don't worry about clicking too many times. So long as you're not clicking every two seconds or you're not clicking so fast you're going to burn out the mouse, you'll be fine. The best technique is to click a few times at each hazard to give yourself the best chance.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh, and you get a piece of paper when you finish. Read the first word on the letter, it will say 'Congratulations' if you pass. I spent a few seconds looking over the piece of paper looking for PASS or FAIL written in big letters!
When i passed i got... 45 / 51. Was pretty happy since i booked my test at the wrong center lol.
Got to dsa test center at approx 1:30 before my test, then later got told it was at sidcup, the other side of london. As a reward for me passing i bought myself some KFC :smile:.
If i had failed jesus i would of acted like a women on her period for the rest of the month, imagine travelling that far/ spending loads on (taxi/test) just to fail.
Reply 3
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me
When i passed i got... 45 / 51. Was pretty happy since i booked my test at the wrong center lol.
Got to dsa test center at approx 1:30 before my test, then later got told it was at sidcup, the other side of london. As a reward for me passing i bought myself some KFC :smile:.
If i had failed jesus i would of acted like a women on her period for the rest of the month, imagine travelling that far/ spending loads on (taxi/test) just to fail.

I got 47/50 :wink:
I really did think I had a good chance of failing. My driving instructor doesn't even know i've passed yet (he doesn't even know i've taken it), so if I failed idk how i'd have told him!

I turned up 20 mins early and was allowed to sit the test straight away, I think because the people looking after the exam had nearly finished their shift and I was the last person :colondollar:
Reply 4
Get the CD do the CD a couple of tests and you will be fine. Not worry about it. Job done.
Reply 5
Original post by Runninground
I got 47/50 :wink:
I really did think I had a good chance of failing. My driving instructor doesn't even know i've passed yet (he doesn't even know i've taken it), so if I failed idk how i'd have told him!

I turned up 20 mins early and was allowed to sit the test straight away, I think because the people looking after the exam had nearly finished their shift and I was the last person :colondollar:

I turned up 3 hours early with no sleep, was allowed to sit it early and came away with 49/50 on Multiple-Choice.

It's not hard, I had some of the more 'difficult' questions but they're common sense - it's nothing to be worried about!
Reply 6
Original post by mikelwhile
I turned up 3 hours early with no sleep, was allowed to sit it early and came away with 49/50 on Multiple-Choice.

It's not hard, I had some of the more 'difficult' questions but they're common sense - it's nothing to be worried about!

Yeah- I had one asking about what Electronic Stability control does. One answer was allows you to go round bends at a faster speed. I chose this one, because I thought stability would be making the car more stable, therefore helping it not to roll over when you go round the bend too fast.

The actual answer is it helps you steer if you are skidding by applying the brakes to help the driver turn or something.

Naturally, when I didn't have a clue, if it was to help with steering whilst breaking or going faster round corners, I would think ABS would be steering whilst breaking so I chose going round corners.

So, its not all common sense, but most of it is :biggrin:

I also had a question asking what the dashboard light means (it was the handbrake one, with the circle and the '!'). I was looking for handbrake but it wasnt there. So I chose oil. Brakes was an answer, but I thought that was the one without the '!' in.

Never mind though, I still passed :P
I got 50/50 on the questions! I was really happy and I shocked the test staff as I finished it in less than 10 minutes including a quick review of every answer lol. The guy said he thought at first that I rushed it, but then he saw my score lol. I studied with the official DSA test app and BSM theory questions over and over until I knew it all backwards, so I was really happy!

And relieved too because like Runninground I was surprised by that question of Electronic Stability because I swear that one was not in the test questions. I had to make an educated guess on that one!
Reply 8
lol i did 3 mock tests and NEVER revised for the hazard perception and still passed the theory; ppl, don't get so worked up for the theory, it's the practical test that you should worry about (just passed that too on a 2nd attempt)
Reply 9
Passed my theory test today :smile: I'm so happy! Got 44/50 on MPC and 48/75 on HP! So just about passed on my first go!
Reply 10
Original post by mkhan9035
Passed my theory test today :smile: I'm so happy! Got 44/50 on MPC and 48/75 on HP! So just about passed on my first go!

congrats, but do NOT underestimate the practical as that's what i did after passing the theory 1st time
Reply 11
Original post by tdkr
congrats, but do NOT underestimate the practical as that's what i did after passing the theory 1st time

Oh trust me I won't underestimate that! I can't afford to, i'mma work my ass off for that :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by charm_bracelet
I got 50/50 on the questions! I was really happy and I shocked the test staff as I finished it in less than 10 minutes including a quick review of every answer lol. The guy said he thought at first that I rushed it, but then he saw my score lol. I studied with the official DSA test app and BSM theory questions over and over until I knew it all backwards, so I was really happy!

And relieved too because like Runninground I was surprised by that question of Electronic Stability because I swear that one was not in the test questions. I had to make an educated guess on that one!

Very well done! You've certainly sold the DSA test app and BSM theory questions!
Was just wondering, out of interest, what was your score for Hazard Perception? I took mine this morning, also passed multiple choice but failed HP! Actually quite annoying I have to resit multiple choice AS WELL but hey, rules are rules!
Im in love with you right now - thank you soo much, the hazard perception is my biggest worry though hopefully your tips will help

THANK YOU! :biggrin:
Im rather scared to book mine :/ although i'm probably ready
The last like 15 (probably even more) done mainly on the app but some using the CD too i have passed with 46/47/48 out of the 50
I got 60/75 on my last hazard perception which i was particular happy about, because before that i was just passing...

Arg need to book it now!

I have an idea where my test center is, should i go early? like even if i can't do it early i'll just be able to sit and wait?
I passed yesterday (Thursday 20th October) and used the official DVD and the iTheory app on iTunes (Free, and so amazing) and done about 30 mock tests. After each one I made sure I looked at the questions and understood why it was wrong! When it came to the actual test, some question I revised were on there but some were not. However, they are mainly common sense and so easy to do! Final score on multiple choice, 44/50! Now, when it came to Hazard Perception, I knew I was confident! I had quite a bit of practice, but not a lot, because on those practice ones, I never scored lower than 3! Final score, scored 5 on 6 clips, 4 on 7 clips and 7 on the double hazard clip! So impressed with myself and so was my instructor!
Original post by NatashaLee
Im rather scared to book mine :/ although i'm probably ready
The last like 15 (probably even more) done mainly on the app but some using the CD too i have passed with 46/47/48 out of the 50
I got 60/75 on my last hazard perception which i was particular happy about, because before that i was just passing...

Arg need to book it now!

I have an idea where my test center is, should i go early? like even if i can't do it early i'll just be able to sit and wait?

I wasn't sure where the test centre was, but we found it eventually (It's a different place to the actual driving test centre!) and I was about 15 minutes early I think. I walked in there expecting to have to wait with a group of people, but I just walked in, did the stuff at the desk and they told me which computer to sit at and I was allowed to start early. Probably cause it wasn't busy and it was the end of the day (So they wanted to get home!)
I need Help - Emergency. :unsure:
I spent 14 days (1 day each topic study, practise) for the theory side. I done Mock tests and mastered everything with an average of 46/50. I know I had a few mistakes, but thats all part of being a human.

Only part I Dont understand how to pass is the HAZARD PERCEPTION TEST, I mean I click them on time and then When Im concentrating I get 4/5 :top: Which Im Happy with sometimes I might make a few mistakes and get 3/5 But I Dont know how the HELL I could get 0-1/5 In a clip? :mad2: :argh: Does anyone else score low on a hazard perception test clip when practising? :ashamed:

Can Someone Give me more resources on how I can practise more Hazard Perception test clips, After I watched the 14 In the DVD 2012 Edition & 3 examples. I still feel Like I need more examples to practise before Im ready I need the Utmost Reply ASAP... My Driving Theory Exam is on Friday 26th October 2012.

Is 5 Days On hazard perception test practising (90mins/day) enough just for the hazard perception test? Im trying to keep 1 day before the exam free so I can go over both sections, im really uncomfortable with the HPT. :sad: I cant seem to score consistent 4-5/5. I might score clip1) 4/5. clip2) 1/5. Clip3) 4/5. Clip4) 2/5. clip5) 3/5. clip6) 1/5. Clip7) 2/5. Clip8) 3/5. etc :banghead:

By the way if there are 14 clips with a maximum of 5 points per clips that equals to 70 marks where does the other 5 marks come from? :goodnight:
Failed my theory test guys - passed the multiple choice, failed hazard perception by 2 marks

:bl:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

By the way if there are 14 clips with a maximum of 5 points per clips that equals to 70 marks where does the other 5 marks come from? :goodnight:

There's two hazards in one clip, each worth 5 marks.

Latest