The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sammyrifkin
Failed my theory test guys - passed the multiple choice, failed hazard perception by 2 marks

:bl:

How long did you spend studying for your driving theory exam?
What was your score on the theory based section?
Did you score 42/75 In Hazard perception test, did you really study
hard for it?

Sorry for asking so many questions, im just panicking my driving theory exam
is on friday on my b day :eek::eek::eek:

If you could be so kind, Could you tell me what you used to practise for your hazard perception test skills & also if you could send me any links of websites you may have used!!! Thanks :idea::innocent:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
How long did you spend studying for your driving theory exam?
What was your score on the theory based section?
Did you score 42/75 In Hazard perception test, did you really study
hard for it?

Sorry for asking so many questions, im just panicking my driving theory exam
is on friday on my b day :eek::eek::eek:

If you could be so kind, Could you tell me what you used to practise for your hazard perception test skills & also if you could send me any links of websites you may have used!!! Thanks :idea::innocent:

I'd say i'd been revising periodically for about a month and then solidly (as in one mock test per night) for the last 2 weeks. On the theory part i got 47 and then for the perception i got 42 - which to be honest is so typical of my luck :biggrin:

I knew that if one was going to let me down it would be the hazard perception - in the mock tests it had been neck and neck with the amount of times i'd fail/pass, but i did revise - to be honest i don't think i was really ready to take it. Nerves kicked in :facepalm:

I used The Complete Theory Test disc which covers both perception/theory and highway code =)) Its really good - tracks your progress and everything. I picked it up in a garden centre in the dvd rack (don't ask) but you can get it from amazon :smile: I also bought the AA book of the theory test and highway code - again, really useful

Just keep practicing every chance you get - and only really go for it if you feel confident with it (i was so nervous i was thinking of cancelling it but then i realised it had passed the date of getting my refund) You'll be alright though, hunny i'm sure :biggrin:
Original post by sammyrifkin
I'd say i'd been revising periodically for about a month and then solidly (as in one mock test per night) for the last 2 weeks. On the theory part i got 47 and then for the perception i got 42 - which to be honest is so typical of my luck :biggrin:

I knew that if one was going to let me down it would be the hazard perception - in the mock tests it had been neck and neck with the amount of times i'd fail/pass, but i did revise - to be honest i don't think i was really ready to take it. Nerves kicked in :facepalm:

I used The Complete Theory Test disc which covers both perception/theory and highway code =)) Its really good - tracks your progress and everything. I picked it up in a garden centre in the dvd rack (don't ask) but you can get it from amazon :smile: I also bought the AA book of the theory test and highway code - again, really useful

Just keep practicing every chance you get - and only really go for it if you feel confident with it (i was so nervous i was thinking of cancelling it but then i realised it had passed the date of getting my refund) You'll be alright though, hunny i'm sure :biggrin:

Thanks ! :rolleyes:
Reply 23
I tough the test was gonna be hard but overall I got 48 our of 50 and 68out of 75 in hazard perception.

so if people dedicate some of their time revising for it then it shouldn't be too hard

good luck to anyone who takes it
Reply 24
I've taken the theory test twice. Once in 2008 and then again in 2012...had to take it again because test certificate expired in 2010. The first time I got 49/50 multiple choice and 54/75 hazard perception....second time I got 48/50 multiple choice and 61/75 hazard perception. Both times I used the official dsa theory test cd, its really good as you get practice hazard perception clips and mock multiple choice tests. The hazard perception is the bit that causes some people to fail...my advice would be do not excessively click, if you do they will give you zero marks for the clip. Also when you do see a hazard (pedestrian,tractor, horse, cyclists, cars approaching from side roads, cars pulling away etc) I would click as soon as I saw it and then again just in case. Also if you see a cyclist I would click and then click again if the cyclist swerve, or I would click if I saw a pedestrian and then again if the pedestrian starts to cross the road. Just give it your full concentration , click when you see something that you might have to slow or stop for, and its fine.

For both tests I revised for about 2-3 weeks in my spare time. I then wrote down any questions I was unsure of or kept getting wrong, made sure I went over them until I knew them 100%, I also was revising all the way upto the second I arrived at the test center
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Just did my test today. 4 days after my 17th birthday and only have been revising on and off for 4 days. I used a revision dvd and that helped for everything, also a theory test app that gave me mock tests.

I got 45/50 on the questions, however I did get lots of the curve ball questions. All of you who have taken the test will know what I mean about you either knowing the questions or not. However since I got all of the other "easy" ones I passed. Just read the highway code and do mock tests to revise this.

The hazard perception I got 63/75 on, I didn't miss any hazards, however on a few I only get 1. This however I probably down to the fact that I click when I first see it (sometimes to early for the machine to give the marks), and then I click again a second or two later. The hazard perception is mostly just technique practise to pass it, so I would advise getting the pc disc to use.

Hope that helps
Reply 26
I took my test last week and got 49/50 for the MCQ and 60/70 for the hazard perception.
I also found that the multiple choice questions were the same as the old ones. Make sure you brush up on your signs and you should be fine.
For the hazard perception just use the online simulators by googling "hazard perception test", if you're still having some difficulty then you may want to buy the CD.

In terms of preparation I don't think you really need that long, I started looking over questions a week before and only really started revising for it 3 days before the test.
Hope this helps :smile:
I took the theory test in Southgate and it was pretty straight forward. Many of the practice questions I studied were on the test word for word or a little different.

There was a question on Electronic Stability Control (which never appeared on my practice tests). It is similar to anti-lock so the answer was it can detect when skidding starts.

Otherwise it was similar to (who has priority at a junction - nobody, and what does the white line at the side of the road indicate - end of carriageway, what is stopping distance for 50mph - 53m, 175ft) and the alcohol decreases your reaction time).

I passed 47/50 and studied casually for about a month with cramming in the last 3 days. The hazard part was stupid and I didnt really know what they were looking for. I clicked too much on two of the clips and received 0s for those clips. I ended up with a 50 or so out of 70 (need more than 44 I think).
I am doing my theory today. So nervous! Best tips?
Reply 29
ha im going for my test tommrow im so worried i might fail i....
Reply 30
ye im takin my theory test
Ive got my theory test tomorrow.. I think i will be able to pass on the multiple questions but not to sure about the hazard perception
Reply 32
Just took mine and failed it... by one single mark. Multiple choice had too many curveballs for me, but I hadn't done as much as everyone else here seems to have done. I'm sitting it again in a month so let's hope it goes better next time. I think I just needed a little more luck with the questions.

Hazard Perception was by far the easiest part. It's obvious once you're doing it- just click once if you see anything that might make you slow down (such as somebody pulling up to a side lane) and then once again if it's just about to slow you down (such as if that car doesn't slow down to stop and is about to pull out in front of you). Looking into the distance helps too, and just keep on looking ahead.
Hi,

Do I need to apply for a provisional licence BEFORE booking the theory test?

I'm not from the UK originally so I'm not that familiar with the registration process.

Thanks!
Reply 34
I've taken about 7 mock test and passed twice and the first one was 43/50 second one was 45/50, should I read all the topics and take more mocks or should I keep doing the mock test? Please help!
Reply 35
Original post by Slainery
Hi,

Do I need to apply for a provisional licence BEFORE booking the theory test?

I'm not from the UK originally so I'm not that familiar with the registration process.

Thanks!

You must have a provisional photocard license and a counterpart paper license to be able to sit the theory test. They won't let you do the exam without presenting both parts of your license.
Original post by Stinkum
You must have a provisional photocard license and a counterpart paper license to be able to sit the theory test. They won't let you do the exam without presenting both parts of your license.

Thanks! :tongue:
Reply 37
I've just registered here as I've been looking for theory tips.

I've got my theory next week and I'm really nervous. Reason being; I failed it a couple of weeks ago by 2 marks and I can't afford to fail it again. I do loads of revision, i've read the highway code 3 times and got the official DVD and take 2 practice exams a day, and every time I get a question wrong, I write it down.

I have to pass next week if any one has any tips then that'd be great.
I feel totally confident with the questions are they'r just common sense. But HPT is really weird lol I understand when to click and when not to. But what's the best technique I mean the best which will help you pass that part. All I need is a pass not botherd about what marks i scored as long as I know iv hit over 44 I'm happy.
I passed my theory 49/50 and 68/75 for hazard first time. I never practiced my hazard much. Just look at every junction the vehicles in front cyclists horses just click when you see a potential hazard even weather and water on road is a potential hazard same as road signs are also then again as you get a bit more closer to it and then just before its a actual hazard. So i clicked at least three times on each hazard. I got 7 clips with marks of 5 7 clips with mark of 4 and one clip with mark of 3.. I got hyped for theory but its easier than i thought. You just need to do mock tests on apps thats all I did.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending