The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Runninground
So I've just taken my theory test, less than one month after my 17th birthday, and I passed.

I'm writing this thread to clear up some worries I had.

1. The DSA have stopped releasing questions. Does this mean I need to read the highway code over and over?

No. I revised from the DSA official app on my iPod, and may questions on the test were the same as the app. I think only three of my questions were ones that I really didn't have a clue about. Don't worry about new questions. They are simple and are usually easy to guess, just use common sense and don't over complicate it.

2. How much should I practice the Hazard Perception Test?
I just revised a few videos, but the problem is once you have done it once, you can't really do it again for the same effect. What I did, was click each time I saw a potential hazard- car at junction, people walking along pavement etc- and then click about three more times when I see the hazard changing (You can tell when the hazard changes because it will become apparent that you will need to slow down or change direction)

3. Am I ready, even though I haven't revised for as long as others?
Probably you are ready. I revised for less than a month, just reading the topics on my ipod and doing mock tests. I did about 12 mock tests in total, and kept getting passes. Other people take longer to learn, but this doesn't matter.

4. What should I take?
Your (new) green provisional license (both parts).

5. I'm really worried about the Hazard perception test. Is it really that hard?
No. Trust me, if you click when you see a potential hazard then CLICK (don't do this toooo much though, I mean don't click like every 2 seconds). You need to get an average of 3 on each clip, but remember if you get 4 on two clips, then you can afford to get 2 on another two clips.

Really, it's not that bad. What's the worst that can happen, you fail and have to pay another £31. I was worried that I hadn't revised enough.

I recommend you buy the DSA official app- its on iTunes and doesn't cost lots.

Also, the HPT clips are better quality that the free ones on the internet. I didn't buy a disk to practise, and I didn't need one.

Good Luck!

(Feel free to ask me other questions)

---

Hazard Perception Test
This is by far the most confusing/ difficult part of the test. To revise for it, you can find many clips online. In the actual test, don't worry about clicking too many times. So long as you're not clicking every two seconds or you're not clicking so fast you're going to burn out the mouse, you'll be fine. The best technique is to click a few times at each hazard to give yourself the best chance.

I've passed 31 mocs test on the official dvla theory app so I'm guessing I should book my test now? Also what did you use for hp? As I haven't come across many good apps on the app store. Thank you.
I had brought the official theory test from the Google play store and It actually done me a lot of good. I'm glad I spent that £1 as it was worth it and there was over 1000 questions and categories. I wouldn't have been able to get 48/50 and 60/75 if I hadn't use that.

Highly recommended!
Im about to take the my second theory test, the first time I took it I missed it due to traffic and this time I cannot find the paper part of my driving licence. Is this going to put risk at me taking it again? Im worried they wont let me because of it happening twice. Help me please!!!!
Reply 43
Original post by benhollingsworth
Im about to take the my second theory test, the first time I took it I missed it due to traffic and this time I cannot find the paper part of my driving licence. Is this going to put risk at me taking it again? Im worried they wont let me because of it happening twice. Help me please!!!!

You cannot sit your test without the paper counterpart. It just won't happen. I know the people at the test centre are quite strict about that. If you can, reschedule your test and either find your counterpart, or order a new one. Rocking up to the test without both parts of your license is essentially a wasted journey.
ahhhhh im sooo worried ive got my theory on wednesday im kind of struggling with my multiple choice questions on average getting 39 on the mocks. is the questions much easier in the actual theory test
Reply 45
Original post by nurul_1997
ahhhhh im sooo worried ive got my theory on wednesday im kind of struggling with my multiple choice questions on average getting 39 on the mocks. is the questions much easier in the actual theory test

Id reccommend this app, also pay the £1 for all the questions.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/driving-theory-test-uk-lite/id490447524?mt=8

I failed my first test for lack of practice, with 1 mark off a pass. Make sure you practice all the questions and keep going over all the questions you get wrong consistently
I have my test on Wednesday too and I am scared! I have practiced a lot over a few months at every chance I get (after school) but I hope I don't forget all I have learnt :frown: Good luck Nurul_1997
Reply 47
I have taken my theory test 4 times, I have passed the Hazard perception every time and failed the multiple choice by 1/2 questions each time.

The hazard perception is the easy part, as soon as you see ANY sort of hazard just click the screen (you dont need to click on the hazard, just anywhere on the screen) Anything like; Pedestrians on the pavement, a motorcyclist on the pavement or road, a car coming the opposite direction if the road gets abit tighter, a Lorry parked at the side of the road, a junction, ANYTHING THAT COULD CAUSE A HAZARD OR ALREADY IS A HAZARD.

The multiple choice bit is the hardest bit i think but this may just be because i failed it. Bit annoying that you have to re-sit the WHOLE thing over again rather than just the part you failed but hey ho.

Good luck to everyone sitting it! we will all get their eventually! xx
Passed my theory first time today with 45/50 and 66/75 on hazard perception. All I used was the DVSA bundle app on my phone for practice and this is all your really need as almost all of the questions which came up in the test I had already seen on the app.

Hazard perception really isn't that difficult just make sure you listen to what they tell you in the intro video!
Here is some top advice. firstly free apps or mocks are no good they literally repeat the same 50 questions each time actual questions possible are 1000 I think so as a previous person said pay.
second get hazard perception volume 2 app. it scores you per clip and shows what to look out for and the score bar. I also click a few times because you can click too early meaning you don't score but a few clips mean I get a 4 or 5.

Lastly for anyone struggling with the theory test I have a great system and my memory is awful. here's what to do.
1. grab a pen and paper and get a paid app
2. if you don't know an answer try to guess the WRONG answer ie least likely.
3. at the end write down your score and go through the wrong questions.
4. write down the question and answer of any question you got wrong. if you guessed a correct answer by luck it will not show as wrong which means you will not get the chance to learn it and may guess different on the test.

Ok so now come the super easy super cool solution and to demonstrate it I will use 3 Q&A that I got stuck on

Q. your approaching a tunnel what should you do (I assumed turn on your lights)
A. turn on your radio in case of announcement's (???)

Q. which crossing is for bikes and people. pelican? toucan? zebra? puffin?
A. toucan

Q. what percentage does exhaust fumes contribute to pollution 20? 40? 60?
A. 20

so for the above questions I want you to create a picture in your head of the answer and question combined I include examples below you can be creative just try to avoid using the same pictures if you can or you may get confused
Q1. picture your in a car you are in front of a tunnel and your radio is a massive pink thing taking up half the dash.
Q2. picture a traffic lights crossing (don't use zebra) imagine bikes and people on it and 2 giant cans of baked beans
Q3. picture an exhaust with either £20 notes stuck in the end or smoke coming out in the shape of the number 20
once you have done all the ones you got wrong retake the test as before. you should have no difficulty now remembering the answers you got wrong at the end check you new high score and do it again.
I can now do a 57 minute test in 5 minutes with between 48 and 50 out of 50 correct. good luck hope this helps
I also have some tips for mod 1 and 2 if im allowed to post them here?
Reply 51
I'm currently creating a resource that gives you good tips regarding the process of learning how to drive,you can check it out at drivingtestzone.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
Passed my theory yesterday, was always failing the hp on mock tests an was so scared, ended up turning up to the test still drunk from the night before and managed to talk away with a pass, 46 on multiple choice and 57 on hp 😊
any one help me please i am studying an still failing my theory test this will be the 6th time now im failing by 2 answers any one got an ideas please i really want this more than anything
Reply 54
Original post by Miss Happy 135
any one help me please i am studying an still failing my theory test this will be the 6th time now im failing by 2 answers any one got an ideas please i really want this more than anything

Download a theory app on your phone with the full bank of nearly 1000 questions, only a couple of quid. Go through every single one till you get all the questions right. Before this you should have read the whole Highway Code.

I did this and passed theory first time.
Reply 55
Remember to learn stopping distances, road signs, speed limits. These are probably the most difficult things.
Hi my son has just took his 9 theory test and failed again what can he do to get it right please help
Original post by JamGrip
On the hazard perception dvd there are some multiple choice questions based on what's happening in the video.
Do you get warned about oone of these before it starts or not?
Thanks

Hi hes fine on hazzard its multipolchoice hes stuck with
Did you guys book your theory test after starting driving lessons, and if so, after how many?
Reply 59
Original post by sharon bond
Hi hes fine on hazzard its multipolchoice hes stuck with

Has he gone through every single of the 1000 questions and got the answer right at least once, and read tge Highway Code?

Original post by moment of truth
Did you guys book your theory test after starting driving lessons, and if so, after how many?

No do your theory straight away, it will help you with the actual driving.

Latest

Trending

Trending