Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why are people so pro-Conservative on here?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by herostraticflame)
    Considering I vote for Sinn Fein (and only just) I'd hardly think I have been brainwashed by a british political party that I pay minimal attention to.

Also, I believe the millibands went to a comprehensive school?
    cool u vote for the political wing of the ira. gjdm

they werent poor and went to expensive unis(im not talking about tuition).
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Both parties are exactly the same and as bad as each other. Except one likes the EU, spending, immigration and welfare more.

Out of Labour and Conservatives, probably the conservatives are slightly preferable. Thatcher has done more for the country than any other politician. However most conservatives here are privileged middle class twits who have no real experience of life.

There's no real choice in this political system so that's why we're in this endless cycle of failure and false promises, simply shifting the blame to the party of power and for some reason thinking the past failure of a party will for some reason do better this time. People have short memories. And their political inclinations are too narrow.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Con-Lib coalition is probably the best type of mainstream government we could possibly have, but it's still ****. Maybe a Lib-Con coalition would be better. Better yet, a Pirate-Clear coalition. But who knows, they'd probably end up being sell-outs and failures as well. The only way to succeed in politics is to be corrupt.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lesser of two evils? While I admit that the government we have in power is pretty poor. The leaders of the labour party don't really strike me as people who are likely to do a better job.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Your comparison was still ridiculous
    Not really.

You use generalisation -> I use another generalisation. The comparison was entirely apt.

You just cant see it after being surrounded by it. I went to Uni with a very open mind, this is how I came out.
    Hurrah! She thinks she has an open mind! It of course doesn't mean that she does.

Well from what my flatmates in first year were like they certainly were not encouraged to use them.
    So you base quite a large demographic on just a few flatmates? Wow...

So howcome people I know only ever got it off their public-school flatmates? And it was always me and one other cleaning up before the cleaner came, the only two who went to comprehensives?
    ANECDOTAL.

To quote my flatmate 'all the ethnics keep to themselves'
    'The Chinese people just sit in their room and cook rice'

Lack of integration much?
    Well to be brutally honest, the notion of the 'chinese phantom' is not restricted exclusively to Private schoolers. It is a pretty well known phenomenon and is actively discussed by people from state schools and Private schools alike, even moreso on TSR.

Also somehow I doubt there are more ethnic minorities in private schools than at a comp in inner city Birmingham, which is my background.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17823860

Well when my friend is sitting there having just said he can't get another drink because he is £1000 into his overdraft it is a bit much. Lack of thought for others, as usual with these people.
    Oh abloo bloo bloo. Don't hang around with them then?

No but you think they would be inclusive and not be annoyed when no-one comes because we can't afford it
    If they are annoyed just try explaining to them? I can't believe many people are like this, nobody in my school nor anybody I have met is like this. Many if not all are made painfully aware of other peoples circumstances and not to flaunt their wealth. We don't talk about it on a day to day basis, we talk about things that anybody else talks about; The football match last weekend, the night out at the weekend, what we're doing in the gym, who is going out with who etcetera.

Yes except that I am actually nice to them whereas they are openly hostile for me. If you didn't know people generally don't act the same in real life to how they are on the internet and I am a firm believer in being nice to people regardless of background etc as that is how I would wish to be treated.
    Good for you, but you're still conflating wealth with being an *******. *******s exist whether or not they are wealthy.

Not so much in left wing political parties though.
    No, instead they work on an even more backwards ideology that is ironically fascistic. (See the UAF).

Because they tell you loudly when they are drunk. Ironically he failed and was forced to drop out. Now that is Karma.
    Then they are tools?

Not one word of a lie. That's Bristol University shooting club for you.
    Lol, if that happened in my crowd we'd just raise an eyebrow and go 'er, you're alright mate' and leave him to sort it out himself.

Why does that mean you should reduce pay in poorer areas though? Those are the areas that need cash injecting into them.
    Person living in London can only afford Food, shelter and has £200 left to spend on luxuries.

Person living in shropshire can afford food, shelter and has £500 left to spend on luxuries.

They both do the same job, but one gets substantially less utility because of where they live.

Lacking in empathy, proving my point really. Do you not feel that if they fell upon hard times and you were unable to help them you would be pleased that other peoples taxes went to supporting them in those hard times?
    Just because your family are lucky enough to be monied, many people aren't. That does not mean they are any less deserving of help.
    Of course I would be pleased, but I wouldn't expect nor demand that the people who were being extorted to support my family to be happy about it. This is how the basic system of morality works with you people, and it is actually quite selfish. It operates on the hypothetical scenario that if YOU were personally afflicted by something, then you would have motivation to do it. You then do some logical gymnastics and extrapolate it into a universal demand and application.
    The concept of 'deserving' is entirely personal and subjective, some might 'deserve' it according to some people, and some might not. You can't use such flimsy premises to govern someones life.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Not really.

You use generalisation -> I use another generalisation. The comparison was entirely apt.

Hurrah! She thinks she has an open mind! It of course doesn't mean that she does.

So you base quite a large demographic on just a few flatmates? Wow...

ANECDOTAL.

Well to be brutally honest, the notion of the 'chinese phantom' is not restricted exclusively to Private schoolers. It is a pretty well known phenomenon and is actively discussed by people from state schools and Private schools alike, even moreso on TSR.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17823860

Oh abloo bloo bloo. Don't hang around with them then?

If they are annoyed just try explaining to them? I can't believe many people are like this, nobody in my school nor anybody I have met is like this. Many if not all are made painfully aware of other peoples circumstances and not to flaunt their wealth. We don't talk about it on a day to day basis, we talk about things that anybody else talks about; The football match last weekend, the night out at the weekend, what we're doing in the gym, who is going out with who etcetera.

Good for you, but you're still conflating wealth with being an *******. *******s exist whether or not they are wealthy.

No, instead they work on an even more backwards ideology that is ironically fascistic. (See the UAF).

Then they are tools?

Lol, if that happened in my crowd we'd just raise an eyebrow and go 'er, you're alright mate' and leave him to sort it out himself.

Person living in London can only afford Food, shelter and has £200 left to spend on luxuries.

Person living in shropshire can afford food, shelter and has £500 left to spend on luxuries.

They both do the same job, but one gets substantially less utility because of where they live.

Of course I would be pleased, but I wouldn't expect nor demand that the people who were being extorted to support my family to be happy about it. This is how the basic system of morality works with you people, and it is actually quite selfish. It operates on the hypothetical scenario that if YOU were personally afflicted by something, then you would have motivation to do it. You then do some logical gymnastics and extrapolate it into a universal demand and application.
    The concept of 'deserving' is entirely personal and subjective, some might 'deserve' it according to some people, and some might not. You can't use such flimsy premises to govern someones life.
    I don't think you are from the kind of school I am talking about here - I am talking upper middle class Eton etc. If you follow football then I doubt your school is up there with that lot, you would be watching the 'rugger'.
    Either that or you are one of them and can't possibly see that the world you are surrounded by does not the reflect the majority of the population.
    I cannot believe that out of the public school people I have met I just happen to have met the horribly bigoted selfish ones, the down to earth ones must at least be in the minority, if there is even a substantial number of them at all.

Oh and by the way - I think the stats for ethnic minorities in Birmingham is 1 in 2, or at least was at my school, so it isn't really comparable. Also you did not address my point on integration.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you are from the kind of school I am talking about here - I am talking upper middle class Eton etc. If you follow football then I doubt your school is up there with that lot, you would be watching the 'rugger'.
    I do watch 'the rugger'. I go up to Twickerz about twice every year to see it, and we watch both Football and Rugby pretty religiously. (For anybody lurking, OMFG MAN CITY I CALLED IT!!).

Either that or you are one of them and can't possibly see that the world you are surrounded by does not the reflect the majority of the population.
    I cannot believe that out of the public school people I have met I just happen to have met the horribly bigoted selfish ones, the down to earth ones must at least be in the minority, if there is even a substantial number of them at all.
    Well no, thats not true. You have met and got to know less than 1% of the Private school population, so how can you make that logical extrapolation?

Oh and by the way - I think the stats for ethnic minorities in Birmingham is 1 in 2, or at least was at my school, so it isn't really comparable. Also you did not address my point on integration.
    We are talking about the UK here, not specifically urban areas like Birmingham. Private schools are broadly representative of all of the UKs diversity make up.

Regarding integration, the whole point of the 'chinese phantom' phenomenon is that they don't integrate with other students. Its a well known fact that many internationals like to keep to themselves, and it is they who 'do not integrate'. Integration by its definition is a positive social activity that involves extended social interaction, the examples you have given of Private schoolers is not that they are not integrating, but simply commenting in a crass manner about how somebody else isn't integrating.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)

New Labour left the country a trillion pounds in debt.

Government debt is not debt same as personal debt for you and I, it is liquidity. The banking system crashed and the government had to print money to fill up the coffers or the economy would have collapsed. Labour did the right thing, and the only thing that could have been done. The tories would have done the same if in power. Labour undr Brown did the right thing, now this is misrepresented in propaganda as some sort of credit card binge. Nonsense. Fiddlesticks. People are pro-Conservative because not enough people do economics at school and don't know the first flying thing about economics.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do watch 'the rugger'. I go up to Twickerz about twice every year to see it, and we watch both Football and Rugby pretty religiously. (For anybody lurking, OMFG MAN CITY I CALLED IT!!).

Well no, thats not true. You have met and got to know less than 1% of the Private school population, so how can you make that logical extrapolation?

We are talking about the UK here, not specifically urban areas like Birmingham. Private schools are broadly representative of all of the UKs diversity make up.

Regarding integration, the whole point of the 'chinese phantom' phenomenon is that they don't integrate with other students. Its a well known fact that many internationals like to keep to themselves, and it is they who 'do not integrate'. Integration by its definition is a positive social activity that involves extended social interaction, the examples you have given of Private schoolers is not that they are not integrating, but simply commenting in a crass manner about how somebody else isn't integrating.
    I think you are failing to see my point. I am not in any way generalising to all people that went to private school. There are very different grades of private school and I am well aware not everyone that went to private school rides around on horses blasting foxes in the face and voting tory. These are the people I am generalising about. The people who went to top notch public schools and live a life of privilege.

No but what I said originally was I'm not sure it is comparable to where I come from.

I just think maybe if people made more of an effort with them it might help, rather than, oh they don't want to integrate. I know it worked for me in halls in first year.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you are failing to see my point. I am not in any way generalising to all people that went to private school. There are very different grades of private school and I am well aware not everyone that went to private school rides around on horses blasting foxes in the face and voting tory. These are the people I am generalising about. The people who went to top notch public schools and live a life of privilege.

NOBODY
    does that. Farmers go out and shoot stuff, most (Like well over 99%) of all private and public schoolers are not interested in fox hunting. They are interested in going out and having a good time. You seriously overestimate how much any of us care about the traditionalist bull**** our lives are enraptured in.
    As for 'top notch', Eton has **** grades compared to mine. It is **** at sport, it is **** at most things. I'd take my school over Eton anyday.

Not to mention
    Spoiler:
    Show

Modesty spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Show

My family are probably wealthier than most of them aswell.

No but what I said originally was I'm not sure it is comparable to where I come from.
    Yes but where you 'come from' isn't representative of the majority of the country either. So are YOU out of touch with reality?

I just think maybe if people made more of an effort with them it might help, rather than, oh they don't want to integrate. I know it worked for me in halls in first year.
    Well yes, I can see an argument for that. But why should they? University is about having fun with your own experiences, going out and meeting new people. If you meet someone who is very resistant to doing anything, why not just leave them to it?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OptimisticJourno)
    Government debt is not debt same as personal debt for you and I, it is liquidity. The banking system crashed and the government had to print money to fill up the coffers or the economy would have collapsed. Labour did the right thing, and the only thing that could have been done. The tories would have done the same if in power. Labour undr Brown did the right thing, now this is misrepresented in propaganda as some sort of credit card binge. Nonsense. Fiddlesticks. People are pro-Conservative because not enough people do economics at school and don't know the first flying thing about economics.
    I have to quote this for posterity.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:

NOBODY
    does that. Farmers go out and shoot stuff, most (Like well over 99%) of all private and public schoolers are not interested in fox hunting. They are interested in going out and having a good time. You seriously overestimate how much any of us care about the traditionalist bull**** our lives are enraptured in.
    As for 'top notch', Eton has **** grades compared to mine. It is **** at sport, it is **** at most things. I'd take my school over Eton anyday.

Not to mention
    Spoiler:
    Show

Modesty spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Show

My family are probably wealthier than most of them aswell.

Yes but where you 'come from' isn't representative of the majority of the country either. So are YOU out of touch with reality?

Well yes, I can see an argument for that. But why should they? University is about having fun with your own experiences, going out and meeting new people. If you meet someone who is very resistant to doing anything, why not just leave them to it?
    I know 3 people from public school at uni that go foxhunting. There are loads of bring back the hunt stickers on student cars round here too.*

I can assure you I am not out of touch with reality, unless you mean your reality, which I can assure you most people are out of touch with because it is so unlike the lives the rest of us lead.

Making a little bit of effort is hardly putting yourself out. Again, you fail on the empathy and kindness front and reinforce how selfish you are.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Paha how many people have you met from Eton? Every single one I have met - maybe about ten or so, plus another 10 or so from those sort of schools (Winchester girls, Harrow etc etc), has been a total moron with zero grip on reality and an overinflated sense of their own self importance. Also an inability to clean up after themself in most cases. They are not like the rest of us.
    People see what they want to see. Of course there are some people at those schools who do not give off a good impression. Does not mean everyone who went there is like that. For starters, at most of these schools, roughly 20% of people are on bursaries - not the stereotype eh? Think before you make accusations like that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know 3 people from public school at uni that go foxhunting. There are loads of bring back the hunt stickers on student cars round here too.*

I can assure you I am not out of touch with reality, unless you mean your reality, which I can assure you most people are out of touch with because it is so unlike the lives the rest of us lead.

Making a little bit of effort is hardly putting yourself out. Again, you fail on the empathy and kindness front and reinforce how selfish you are.
    My God! Some people actually support hunting? They must be awful people! 99% of the rural community support hunting! You, like so many other people, have fallen victim to the media's stereotyping. I do not blame you, we are all inundated with it, but for someone 'open-minded' you seem to be rather stubborn on this issue. Of course when a big bunch of old school mates get together, they are likely to be quite loud and boisterous, but that is not confined to public school students and your perception of them is based upon a very small number, in very particular circumstances. I could give you a hundred anecdotes on why state-educated children are awful, in fact probably more that you could give me for public school students, but I don't assume that everyone who was educated at a state school is like that! In fact, isn't the very fact that there are people on here who are willing to have this discussion, the very people that you talk of, prove your stereotype wrong?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadomcp)
    People see what they want to see. Of course there are some people at those schools who do not give off a good impression. Does not mean everyone who went there is like that. For starters, at most of these schools, roughly 20% of people are on bursaries - not the stereotype eh? Think before you make accusations like that.
    Why would I want to see that? Its just gross and has destroyed the little faith I had in humanity. Somehow I don't think Eton pays for 1/5 of its pupils school fees in full, that would be losing out on over 7 and a half million pounds per year.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    3 people out of how many Public school individuals who go to Bristol? Get some perspective.

Indeed, most people don't swim 24 hours a week, go to the gym 5-6 hours a week and have to keep four A levels running on top of that.
    I can assure you I have experienced my fair share of 'real' hardship, so please don't pretend that those with a Private education are isolated entirely from reality.

You still have failed to provide a reason why I, or any other person, should give two ****s? Can you present a logical, consistent argument for this so called 'empathy' with individuals who do not want to socially interact without referring to a naturalist argument?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadomcp)
    My God! Some people actually support hunting? They must be awful people! 99% of the rural community support hunting! You, like so many other people, have fallen victim to the media's stereotyping. I do not blame you, we are all inundated with it, but for someone 'open-minded' you seem to be rather stubborn on this issue. Of course when a big bunch of old school mates get together, they are likely to be quite loud and boisterous, but that is not confined to public school students and your perception of them is based upon a very small number, in very particular circumstances. I could give you a hundred anecdotes on why state-educated children are awful, in fact probably more that you could give me for public school students, but I don't assume that everyone who was educated at a state school is like that! In fact, isn't the very fact that there are people on here who are willing to have this discussion, the very people that you talk of, prove your stereotype wrong?
    Yes they are awful people. Hunting is horrific.
    I take no such view from the media, I base my judgements on my life encounters and avoid the media in general.
    I said I used to be open minded, I'm not any more. It would take nothing short of a miracle to change my mind about the ruling classes.
    Did I say anything about having a problem with people being loud and boisterous? No. Did I say I had a problem with selfishness, rudeness, flashing your cash, looking down on others, naivety and generally being a ****er, yes.
    Well, once again, you have probably met a lower proportion of people educated at state school that I have people educated at top public schools. Therefore I have met more of a representative sample.
    How does it prove it wrong? The one person who admits to coming from that background proved themself to be both arrogant and selfish numerous times, and the only reasons they could come up with for being like everyone else was following football and having lots of Chinese people at their school...who don't even integrate.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    How does it prove it wrong? The one person who admits to coming from that background proved themself to be both arrogant and selfish numerous times, and the only reasons they could come up with for being like everyone else was following football and having lots of Chinese people at their school...who don't even integrate.
    Point out where I have been 'arrogant' please?

I am not like everybody else. NOBODY is like everybody else. We are all unique as individuals and as people, so stop trying to pigeonhole people into categories!

I am not referring to the Chinese people at my school, the ethnic people at my school are as outgoing as the rest of us. I was specifically referring to a UNIVERSITY phenomenon regarding International students.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    3 people out of how many Public school individuals who go to Bristol? Get some perspective.

Indeed, most people don't swim 24 hours a week, go to the gym 5-6 hours a week and have to keep four A levels running on top of that.
    I can assure you I have experienced my fair share of 'real' hardship, so please don't pretend that those with a Private education are isolated entirely from reality.

You still have failed to provide a reason why I, or any other person, should give two ****s? Can you present a logical, consistent argument for this so called 'empathy' with individuals who do not want to socially interact without referring to a naturalist argument?
    3 out of 20 people I have met from top public schools, and those are just the ones that go hunting. There are at least another 5 that have expressed their support. That's a very high percentage.

Oh no! A-levels! How do you cope! A-levels are a piece of piss if you are gifted with some intelligence and the right working environment and encouragement. So many people at Uni are just a waste of space and only here because their parents basically paid for their A-levels by sending them to the right school.

Because it is called being a nice person, and the world would be a much better and happier place if we were all more empathetic. Not to mention we would stop slowly destroying our own planet through our own greed. You have yet to provide me with a reasonable argument as to why you shouldn't be, especially given it takes so little effort.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Point out where I have been 'arrogant' please?

I am not like everybody else. NOBODY is like everybody else. We are all unique as individuals and as people, so stop trying to pigeonhole people into categories!

I am not referring to the Chinese people at my school, the ethnic people at my school are as outgoing as the rest of us. I was specifically referring to a UNIVERSITY phenomenon regarding International students.
    'My schools better than Eton and my parents are super rich!' blahdy blah ps I go to the gym all the time!'

Of course we are all individuals, but people from your background are more far removed from most others, or at least those I have met have been.

Yet I was referring to what people have said about international students at public school? Crossed wires there methinks.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.