Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why isn't UKIP more popular?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because their honest, common sense approach to policy is out of step with a largely moronic British public.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because UKIP don't, and probably never will, reflect the preferences of the median voter, i.e. they are too far right of the mainstream level.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Because their honest, common sense approach to policy is out of step with a largely moronic British public.
    Thank you, when will they learn not to keep voting conservative, labour and liberal democrats.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Our voting system- those broadly supportive will probably vote Conservative as for them it is less bad than letting in the Labour party.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickinator)

• End the ban on smoking in allocated rooms in public houses, clubs and hotels.
    I had to laugh at this, seeing as I once met a well-known UKIP member and he was wearing 'eau de cigarette'...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cos they are nazi idiots - defense budget too big as it is, smoking ban, etc
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think one of the main reasons that UKIP isn't seen as a genuine contender for government in the UK is because a lot of people view leaving the European Union - the policy that they are instantly associated with - as impractical. The vast majority of people I know feel that the EU needs reform but is, ultimately, the best place for the UK. Whether you believe this yourself or not, if the majority believes it then the majority will not vote for a party whose main aim appears to them to be withdrawing from the European Union.

As well as this, UKIP falls into the traps that a lot of third parties do. The Greens, for example, as known as "that environment party"; a great deal of people don't know about their economic or social policies in much detail. The same goes for UKIP with their EU policy. A lot of people who might actually agree with their policies if they looked at them don't know about them. The two-party system is completely ingrained in this country anyway, and any chance of that changing has been sabotaged somewhat by the unpopularity of the Lib Dems' actions in the coalition.

Also, while I have tried to keep my own political views out of this post, it does seem that a lot of their policies are quite impractical and they are just saying certain things to garner votes as minor parties with little chance of forming a government are notorious for doing. As people have pointed out above, the financial ramifications of leaving the EU and cutting tax left right and centre would make expensive policies like punishing criminals more severely and increasing the defence budget somewhat difficult.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, when will they learn not to keep voting conservative, labour and liberal democrats.
    Labour voters are a lost cause, what really puzzles me are those who persist in voting Tory instead of making the sensible move and jumping aboad HMS UKIP. Whereas Cameron has spent the last 3-4 years trying to 'detoxify' the Conservative brand (i.e turn it into a New Labour clone) UKIP have uniquely granted themselves the freedom to speak out on issues that right-wingers feel passionate about. If you're a right-winger, libertarian or a conservative then I don't see a realistic mainstream alternative.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its policies are more or less what i agree with. The only bit bothering me is the bit about multiculturalism splitting society.
    That makes me feel like if UKIP goes into power, I'll be too afraid to leave the house in case someone abuses me for being non-white.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyChoos)
    Its policies are more or less what i agree with. The only bit bothering me is the bit about multiculturalism splitting society.
    That makes me feel like if UKIP goes into power, I'll be too afraid to leave the house in case someone abuses me for being non-white.
    WTF. it is not the colour of skin that has affected multiculturism it is these old beliefs and religions that are immiscible with the general population.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because they have next to no base. Compare them to say, the Greens, a party they're almost guaranteed to beat on a national level; The Greens have over 150 councillors (including control of Brighton council) and perform pretty well at devolved elections, whereas UKIP have less than 30 councillors and don't do well at devolved elections.

To a degree, that's because despite having other policies, what comes across as the defining UKIP feature is right-Euroscepticism, and while people might care about that, they generally don't at local level.

In this sense, UKIP can never really hope to be more than trying to drag the Tories to their positions on certain issues a bit more.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    I was reading it and I thought "oh they seem like a good party". Then I read this.

Posh *****.
    they are posh because they want to give people a choice?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    WTF. it is not the colour of skin that has affected multiculturism it is these old beliefs and religions that are immiscible with the general population.
    Lol sorry let me rephrase...

My religion may be used against me
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because they are racist bigots (some members/councillors/people standing for Parliament anyway)

also op do you have the eu flag as a joke.. or..... (?)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    UKIP is clearly to the right of the political spectrum and draws support mainly from those who feel abandoned by the Conservatives. Why should somebody believing in left wing values vote for UKIP?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyChoos)
    Lol sorry let me rephrase...

My religion may be used against me
    This is untrue. i think you are just affiliating UKIP with the BNP.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    you spelt 'no' wrong it is 'know'. my maths is perfect... 100*50=5000. simples
    let us concentrate on the main reason for this thread because UKIP is awesome.
    I used it as a shorten abbreviation......
    your maths is wrong because to get harriers now would require brand new ones, hence you would have to buy them at it's brand new price, your basing your stupidness maths on old and used harriers of which 5000 do not at all exist.

UKIP is a joke, and you have just shown the kind of people whom follow it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    I used it as a shorten abbreviation......
    your maths is wrong because to get harriers now would require brand new ones, hence you would have to buy them at it's brand new price, your basing your stupidness maths on old and used harriers of which 5000 do not at all exist.

UKIP is a joke, and you have just shown the kind of people whom follow it.
    that is offensive as you don't me so don't make assumptions. UKIP is only a joke because people like you refuse to believe that Britain can be better or have long term goals.

oh, and by the way the maths thing was a joke to poke fun at the stupiditiy of stopping the use of our harriers which still had a good number of years left.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is untrue. i think you are just affiliating UKIP with the BNP.
    Not at all. I despise the BNP. Whereas im neutral or try to be with UKIP.
    Like i said before, all their other policies are not bad.

Explain to me at least how you think the UKIP would get rid of multiculturalism since it "split society" ??
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    UKIP is seen by most people to be a party full of incompetent, right-wing nutters. From my experience, this picture is mostly accurate as well. I dread to think what they'd be like running the country, with their pie-in-the-sky policies and completely moronic leader. People want their politicians to be capable and competent, something UKIP's candidates have constantly failed to prove themselves as.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.