Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why isn't UKIP more popular?

Announcements Posted on
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickinator)
    that is offensive as you don't me so don't make assumptions. UKIP is only a joke because people like you refuse to believe that Britain can be better or have long term goals.

oh, and by the way the maths thing was a joke to poke fun at the stupiditiy of stopping the use of our harriers which still had a good number of years left.
    "as you don't me"..........your maths is appalling as you didn't take in considerations the reality of buying harriers.

Who says we refuse......just because we don't see UKIP as our choice, doesn't mean we don't believe Britain can't be, there are loads of parties who also say the same and have much greater credibility.

Really? or was it the fact you got it wrong, they didn't really have good years left, especially as the 5th generation of fighter jets are coming into production and the use of stealth.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think Sherlock?

Hmmm, this is a case of the lost moneys:

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2011/1...on-black-hole/
    I can't help but wonder if that money would be better spent elsewhere? That's what i'm really getting at.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    "as you don't me"..........your maths is appalling as you didn't take in considerations the reality of buying harriers.

Who says we refuse......just because we don't see UKIP as our choice, doesn't mean we don't believe Britain can't be, there are loads of parties who also say the same and have much greater credibility.

Really? or was it the fact you got it wrong, they didn't really have good years left, especially as the 5th generation of fighter jets are coming into production and the use of stealth.
    LIBYA, remember??? To be honest this is slightly diverging from the point of the thread so please lets drop this. which political party do you support by the way?
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I am sure you were the guy who I put as head of the Centre party - do you remember that thread. I think we share very similar opinions. go UKIP! I mean centre party
    No I don't remember that thread (perhaps you're thinking of someone else?) although I'm flattered to be considered for such a position
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because people still see them as a single issue party and there are more important issues than Europe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Who hunts?

In any case, I can't vote.

Also I think that it is ironic that a patriotic party wants to get rid of european human rights, even though it was Winston Churchill's idea
    Emphasis on the European... UKIP would rather Britain manage it's own human rights. So this isn't ironic at all.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by detinus)
    Emphasis on the European... UKIP would rather Britain manage it's own human rights. So this isn't ironic at all.
    Thank you for defending UKIP
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    cutting foreign aid, leaving the EU, end to subsidies, stopping HS2 SLASHING benefits. And I bet a whole lot more....
    Foreign aid is a tiny fraction of the UK's budget (0.56% of GNP - and that is record high btw). Also, what are the financial gains from leaving the EU? I need the numbers.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIronist)
    Foreign aid is a tiny fraction of the UK's budget (0.56% of the budget - and that is record high btw). Also, what are the financial gains from leaving the EU? I need the numbers.
    yep, but foreign aid is worth £12 billion a year. this is the number
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That list of policies must have been created via some superficial force that converts the knee-jerk sensationalist reactions from the right-wing media's ignorant readers in to a relatively acceptable form of ideas, for a neanderthal.

For example; "· Introduce a ‘three strikes and you’re out’ policy to deal with persistent offenders and make our streets safer for the public." Would you care to define 'out' in this context?

"bring in health care vouchers for those who wish to opt out of the NHS." Posh? No???

"tax altogether with a simple, flat rate income tax. With a threshold set at minimum wage." So people earning minimum wage will pay the same rate of tax as a millionaire - the flat rate tax has been disproven by many respected economists. This blatantly favours the very rich.

"Cut taxes on small businesses and abolish the tax on work – Employers’ National Insurance." National Insurance contributions alone account for almost 20% of UK tax revenue at over £100 billion annually - how do Ukip supporters propose we pay for public services -oh sorry, I forgot they're all toffy nosed lords of their own delusion. Still, they obviously won't have the economy required in order to 'pay off the national debt' - Ukip seem keen to attach themselves to that political ideal.

Fascinatingly, they have the audacity to aggressively attack Labour's policies on the economy!

As they stand, they will forever be the Daily Mail reader's romantic restorer of Great Britain, that never was; although a bloody good party to sacrifice your already low intelligence to. An upper class and traditional, more nationalist, BNP?

Seriously, if you were trying to promote the UKip party - posting that list of non-sensical drivvle was the worst possible action, LOL!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yep, but foreign aid is worth £12 billion a year. this is the number
    It was actually 8.5 bn in 2011 and nless you propose to stop foreign aid altogether (you said "cut"), I still don't see what's the big deal.

You said that leaving the EU will confer financial benefits. I asked for the numbers on that not the foreign aid budget.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

SO WHY DON'T MORE PEOPLE VOTE FOR THEM!
    The majority of people in this country don't vote for them, because thankfully, they are not all ignorant idiots.

UKIP are a party that claim 'global warming is not proven' despite rock solid evidence that global warming is, in fact, happening (I talked about this in another thread that happened to be on UKIP)

They also want a flat tax - rather than explaining why this is a stupid policy, if you can give me a list of countries with a flat tax on income rather than a progressive income tax, I will read up on how it's worked in those countries.

They want to increase expenditure on the military, despite such expenditure being quite high in international terms, and the UK being under no immediate threat - yet they also state they want to cut down the 'unnaceptable' deficit - in otherwords, they are 'militarized Keynesians'.

Onto the budget deficit - they say it is unacceptable, but don't say why, and advocate greater cuts, despite this being proven to fail.

These are just a few of the reasons people don't vote for them.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    UKIP is seen by most people to be a party full of incompetent, right-wing nutters. From my experience, this picture is mostly accurate as well. I dread to think what they'd be like running the country, with their pie-in-the-sky policies and completely moronic leader. People want their politicians to be capable and competent, something UKIP's candidates have constantly failed to prove themselves as.
    Yeah, because the politicians of recent times have been completely capable and competent. :rolleyes:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big-Benji)
    That list of policies must have been created via some superficial force that converts the knee-jerk sensationalist reactions from the right-wing media's ignorant readers in to a relatively acceptable form of ideas, for a neanderthal.

For example; "· Introduce a ‘three strikes and you’re out’ policy to deal with persistent offenders and make our streets safer for the public." Would you care to define 'out' in this context?

"bring in health care vouchers for those who wish to opt out of the NHS." Posh? No???

"tax altogether with a simple, flat rate income tax. With a threshold set at minimum wage." So people earning minimum wage will pay the same rate of tax as a millionaire - the flat rate tax has been disproven by many respected economists. This blatantly favours the very rich.

"Cut taxes on small businesses and abolish the tax on work – Employers’ National Insurance." National Insurance contributions alone account for almost 20% of UK tax revenue at over £100 billion annually - how do Ukip supporters propose we pay for public services -oh sorry, I forgot they're all toffy nosed lords of their own delusion. Still, they obviously won't have the economy required in order to 'pay off the national debt' - Ukip seem keen to attach themselves to that political ideal.

Fascinatingly, they have the audacity to aggressively attack Labour's policies on the economy!

As they stand, they will forever be the Daily Mail reader's romantic restorer of Great Britain, that never was; although a bloody good party to sacrifice your already low intelligence to. An upper class and traditional, more nationalist, BNP?

Seriously, if you were trying to promote the UKip party - posting that list of non-sensical drivvle was the worst possible action, LOL!
    it is getting late, I really can't be bothered...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    UKIP? I'm genuinely worried that they're so popular. Are you guys reading the same thing I am!?

Scrap the 'misconcieved Human Rights act'? what? They're immigration policies are also BLURGH.

It's really Labour and Conservatives' fault for being so BLURGH themselves.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    Yeah, because the politicians of recent times have been completely capable and competent. :rolleyes:
    Compared to some of the monkeys that stand in elections wearing a UKIP badge, yes, they are.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted to vote for this party, or an independent, but neither had candidates in the local elections. I had to vote for the Greens, it was either that or spoil. And I would rather the city was a designated forest next year than vote for the major parties, they just don't listen and are corrupt.

UKIP have good policies, but the smoking and hunting bans were the only good things Labour did, no need to repeal. Also, how can you commit to NATO more, while negotiating a withdrawal? Very Veitnam-esk.

I just want a party that stands for common sense, that actually stands by their policies! Someone who doesn't lie to get into power and then go back on almost everything, they really should make a binding election promises bill. But what are the chances of that? They even made that E-Petitions site but will they ever listen, no they won't they will dismiss our views as rubbish because they think they know better than us.

Been convinced for a while that the gov is run by civil servants from behind, or very heavily influenced at least. Why else would a party that campaigned against that Internet surveillance bill when it was first thought up now be trying to introduce it themselves...? Apart from complete lack of moral and democratic backbone that is.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    I support their policies in general, however I worry about how they're supposing to fund all of this.

It seems in part to be a wish-list of things that voters want. Whilst I agree with a lot of their ideas (barring the rise in the defence budget - though it might be needed if we give the EU the middle finger) it seems like there's no austerity measures, which we need. When it comes to the financial crisis, it seems that Cameron has his finger on the pulse better than UKIP, which are trying the 'everything that those guys do to annoy you, we do the opposite!' tactic. Which simply cannot hold water in the current situation we're all in, I don't know.

I'm not an economist, which makes this all the more difficult.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    Thank you for defending UKIP
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's all about the lesser evil. All politicians are liars, and general sons of bitches. You think they mean what they say? They say it because they know it's what people want to hear, then once they get power they don't want to relinquish it. I know it's obvious and most people know, but its true. To be honest, I think the better parties are ones who will never get enough votes, or are hardly given a chance and attention.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.