Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Higher English Exam next week?..aw man.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many marks you need in close reading alone to score an A?
    B even?

Also how is everyone studying for close reading? any good tips? im okay with critical essays..just hope GOOD questions come up that are answerable...

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hahahah english wow.... im not going to revise im just going to wing it.

for example i done an essay in class and got 13/25

then we done the same task again and i copied my essay (cheated) word for word and correcting my mistakes

i got 11/25

English has to be the worst and most pointless subject that i soooo inconsistent
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Referring to your title, i feel the exact same way!

As for your questions, a close reading is out of 50 marks. I'm really not sure at all, but if i had to guess id say for an A you'd be looking to gain around 35 marks?
    As for close reading studying, i'm leaving it REEAALLLYYY late for English studying this year, so when the time comes i'm just going to do close reading past papers. That's the only way you can study for close reading really..

Best of luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well for the last three years the the lowest mark for an A has been 64-5%
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much praying for ~64% grade boundary again this year. I hate English, mainly because the marking of everything is down to the individual marker that you get and it's so unpredictable /:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor Wyse)
    hahahah english wow.... im not going to revise im just going to wing it.

for example i done an essay in class and got 13/25

then we done the same task again and i copied my essay (cheated) word for word and correcting my mistakes

i got 11/25

English has to be the worst and most pointless subject that i soooo inconsistent
    Depends on the marker, if they like your style and if you have included the parts they find revelant
    I feel the same, did a practice essay got 21 then that one came up in my prelim and bam down to 17 (Ps. I do not cheat or endorse it):confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Direct15)
    Depends on the marker, if they like your style and if you have included the parts they find revelant
    I feel the same, did a practice essay got 21 then that one came up in my prelim and bam down to 17 (Ps. I do not cheat or endorse it):confused:
    I think everyone makes the marking seem a lot worse than it is. Yes, it may vary by a couple of marks by each marker but realistically the markers all know what a good essay looks like, a bad one and a really good one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying my essay was good?

I like maths better, one single answer no interpretation
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had a 5 hour English masterclass today. If i don't pass on Thursday, i actually will cry
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think English is the exam I'm most worried about :/ I really do hope the essay questions are good !
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it's any comfort, I did Higher English last year and hated every minute of it - I can't write essays or do close reading to save my life and I failed both prelims (got an F both times... ) - in fact I failed the second worse even worse than the first - and managed to get a solid B in the final exam so there is hope! Good luck to everyone, you'll be fine
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhi93)
    If it's any comfort, I did Higher English last year and hated every minute of it - I can't write essays or do close reading to save my life and I failed both prelims (got an F both times... ) - in fact I failed the second worse even worse than the first - and managed to get a solid B in the final exam so there is hope! Good luck to everyone, you'll be fine
    Thanks for the confidence. Im still going to fail horribly tho.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor Wyse)
    Thanks for the confidence. Im still going to fail horribly tho.
    That's what I said to myself, and I still passed. Believe in yourself
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do we get booklet(like sg) in order to write our answers or single sheets of paper

Just asking
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Direct15)
    Do we get booklet(like sg) in order to write our answers or single sheets of paper

Just asking
    You get a booklet like at Standard Grade
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried too, we haven't had a consistent teacher and a lot of the time not even English teachers taking us. We've not looked and our drama script since pre-lim revison due to lack of time, hardly any decent teaching on poems and pretty much no prose analysis outside of reading the book. So so so worried about this exam!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholymelody)
    I'm worried too, we haven't had a consistent teacher and a lot of the time not even English teachers taking us. We've not looked and our drama script since pre-lim revison due to lack of time, hardly any decent teaching on poems and pretty much no prose analysis outside of reading the book. So so so worried about this exam!

Same here, I've had several teachers throughout this year, all of whom contradict one another. Complete nightmare and I'm totally dreading Thursday as a result!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really hope we get good essay questions.. i better go and study though. Good luck everyone!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholymelody)

(Original post by kirstyhr)
    Same here, I've had several teachers throughout this year, all of whom contradict one another. Complete nightmare and I'm totally dreading Thursday as a result!
    I'm with you on this too! I think most English departments must be awful if people are without good teaching this much
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone findthe 2011 close reading a bit harder ? Feel.like I'm gona fail now

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.