Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Handwriting - what does this say about me?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I write i's and j's I draw circles instead of dotting them. I've been doing this for ages and according to my parents it's somehow "wrong". I'm not sure why. Yeh it makes my handwriting look a little childish but I don't like just dotting them because it doesn't look as nice.

My parents say stupid things sometimes. They tried to argue with me over which hands to use for a knife and fork. I'm right handed but I use my fork in my right hand and my knife in my left. Apparently this is "wrong" as well :confused:
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Graphology is a myth.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there
    I think this is just how your parents see it, and it's their point of view.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    That your parents are strict about pointless things and that you use circles for dotting and i or j?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your fork knife etiquette is wrong.

Your parents are right on that bit
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mm@)
    That your parents are strict about pointless things and that you use circles for dotting and i or j?
    Yes, when I wrote my signature for my provisional licence a couple of years ago my dad made me dot the i in my name instead of how I usually write my signature.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    Yes, when I wrote my signature for my provisional licence a couple of years ago my dad made me dot the i in my name instead of how I usually write my signature.
    To be fair, a dot does look more professional than a circle, but for a signature I would do what you always do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When I write i's and j's I draw circles instead of dotting them. I've been doing this for ages and according to my parents it's somehow "wrong". I'm not sure why. Yeh it makes my handwriting look a little childish but I don't like just dotting them because it doesn't look as nice.

My parents say stupid things sometimes. They tried to argue with me over which hands to use for a knife and fork. I'm right handed but I use my fork in my right hand and my knife in my left. Apparently this is "wrong" as well :confused:
    Your parents are 'wrong'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Lol, this is interesting. In British culture I think the correct etiquette for eating is to have your fork in your left hand and and your knife in your right hand, I heard somewhere that you should use your main hand to use the knife?? Where as my parents brought me up to always eat (use the fork in my right hand) with my right hand, which is contrary to British etiquette as that's what's in their culture. So I tend to switch the way I eat depending on whether I am out with friends or at home. Sometimes I'd get a little confused, on which way round I should be eating and either my friends or parents will ask me "why are you eating that way?". What you'll realise is that in the bigger picture, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to do something, as everyone has their own rationale on why you should be doing it their way. This particular part of culture I believe is just another form of OCD.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never dot my Is and Js, I use archaic letters like Þ, Ð and Ƿ, I use massive amounts of scribal abbreviations and symbols/runes for some individual words, and I write in the medieval Carolingian Minuscule script or the Insular Anglo-Saxon script. People can't read it and it's funny; I just do it for the lulz mostly, and because I'm very interested in medieval script, scribal practice and calligraphy but still mainly for the lulz, haha.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They tried to argue with me over which hands to use for a knife and fork. I'm right handed but I use my fork in my right hand and my knife in my left. Apparently this is "wrong" as well :confused:
    you always have the knife in the right and fork in the left, why the **** do you wanna do it differently? I'd laugh at someone who was doing it the wrong way round.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    :eyeball: Are we seriously arguing about the difference between a dot and a circle?..... :facepalm:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Future Serial Killer.

Or that you just circle your i's and j's rather than dotting them, I'm not sure which.

But I'm willing to bet it's the serial killer thing.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freier._.lance)
    What you'll realise is that in the bigger picture, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to do something, as everyone has their own rationale on why you should be doing it their way. This particular part of culture I believe is just another form of OCD.
    I know, which is why I thought it was odd when they were having at go at me for it. I don't know why I do it, I just do for some reason. It's not as if anyone is going to judge me for it, and if they do they have problems ._.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I too use my right hand for the fork, irrespective of whom i'm eating with. I think your parents are wrong on that bit, even if it is contrary to British etiquette
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Awh! For the 'i' in my name in my signature, the 'dot' is a halo...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    no person should just change their handwriting cause some one said so unless they really want to

but handwriting does show some glimpse into ones personality but with everything computerized people 's handwriting doesn't necessarily express as much as it used to
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playa10)
    I too use my right hand for the fork, irrespective of whom i'm eating with. I think your parents are wrong on that bit, even if it is contrary to British etiquette
    It makes more sense to me to use the dominant hand (in my case my right hand) to pick up food with a fork. If my parents were so against me doing it like that then they should have corrected it when I was younger.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It makes more sense to me to use the dominant hand (in my case my right hand) to pick up food with a fork. If my parents were so against me doing it like that then they should have corrected it when I was younger.
    It may make more sense to you but it's not good etiquette. It's like you shouldn't put your elbows on the table either. If I saw someone eating with their fork in their right hand I'd think they were left handed.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    I never dot my Is and Js, I use archaic letters like Þ, Ð and Ƿ, I use massive amounts of scribal abbreviations and symbols/runes for some individual words, and I write in the medieval Carolingian Minuscule script or the Insular Anglo-Saxon script. People can't read it and it's funny; I just do it for the lulz mostly, and because I'm very interested in medieval script, scribal practice and calligraphy but still mainly for the lulz, haha.
    :lolwut:

That doesn't sound funny, it just sounds strange to be honest.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.