The Student Room Group

Petroleum Geoscience MSc - Where?

Scroll to see replies

If you're not an EU citizen it's going to be vastly more difficult to secure a job in the UK as many companies will no longer accept non-EU citizens.
Reply 41
What is the joint course in petroleum geoscience from heriott watt and edinburgh? Which university is going to award the degree?
Dear All, I hold a BSc. Geology from a University in Nigeria. It is a second class lower (2.2), 3.26/5. I really want to enrol for MSc. Petroleum Geoscience or Oil and Gas Engineering from a top UK university. I have been Unsuccessful with uni. of Aberdeen, manchester, heriot watt and robert gordon.
So far, I only have admission in MSc. Petroleum Geoscience, Uni. of Derby and MSc. Petroleum Geochemistry, Uni. of Newcastle......kindly advice me on which to choose.

Thank you
Minaibi
Original post by rocafella1200
Dear All, I hold a BSc. Geology from a University in Nigeria. It is a second class lower (2.2), 3.26/5. I really want to enrol for MSc. Petroleum Geoscience or Oil and Gas Engineering from a top UK university. I have been Unsuccessful with uni. of Aberdeen, manchester, heriot watt and robert gordon.
So far, I only have admission in MSc. Petroleum Geoscience, Uni. of Derby and MSc. Petroleum Geochemistry, Uni. of Newcastle......kindly advice me on which to choose.

Thank you
Minaibi

Try the MSc Petroleum Geoscience at Royal Holloway too. They accept 2:2s.
Original post by Jonnyishman
Try the MSc Petroleum Geoscience at Royal Holloway too. They accept 2:2s.

Thank you. I applied there already. Awaiting their response. Kindly give your assessment of both universities that I listed. Cheers.
Do they really accept 2:2s? I was offered a place on a 2:1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by rocafella1200

Thank you
Minaibi

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this thread from the beginning and I just knew I had to be part of this!!!

I think Minaibi's question hasn't been thoroughly answered (compared to the insight given previously on Aberdeen, Manchester, etc). I guess not much is known about Derby's MSc APG cause its relatively new but I think (imo) that they're quite thorough too especially for that fee! :smile: *dont know much about Newcastle*

Apparently, I also applied to Aberdeen (Feb 2013) and was declined. Same for Royal Holloway (May 2013) and my cgpa is 3.31/5.00 (2:2), though I was offered a different course but just wasn't interested at the time. I'm planning on re-applying to Royal Holloway again this year (this time with sponsorship), but Leeds is on the top of my list (Structural Geology with Geophysics... so cool!). However, still not sure whether to choose Herriot-Watt (GEOSEAD) or Manchester cos I've restricted myself to only 3 applications this year.

#Minaibi, so have you heard from RHU yet?

Cheers.
Original post by Talizman
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this thread from the beginning and I just knew I had to be part of this!!!

I think Minaibi's question hasn't been thoroughly answered (compared to the insight given previously on Aberdeen, Manchester, etc). I guess not much is known about Derby's MSc APG cause its relatively new but I think (imo) that they're quite thorough too especially for that fee! :smile: *dont know much about Newcastle*

Apparently, I also applied to Aberdeen (Feb 2013) and was declined. Same for Royal Holloway (May 2013) and my cgpa is 3.31/5.00 (2:2), though I was offered a different course but just wasn't interested at the time. I'm planning on re-applying to Royal Holloway again this year (this time with sponsorship), but Leeds is on the top of my list (Structural Geology with Geophysics... so cool!). However, still not sure whether to choose Herriot-Watt (GEOSEAD) or Manchester cos I've restricted myself to only 3 applications this year.

Cheers.

Hello Talizman,

Thank you for your kind observation and insight.

I just sent a mail to Royal Holloway to know the status of my application. Heriot Watt and Manchester also don't accept 2.2.

What course were you offered upon being declined?

I will take a look at the Leeds geophysics.....

My cgpa is 3.26/5. Please if you come up with any useful info, kindly inform me.

What about entry petroleum geoscience or mudlogging jobs in the Uk? Any info on that.

Cheers.

Minaibi
Hello guys,

What do you think about Petroleum and Gas Engineering at the University of Salford?

Thanks.

Minaibi
Reply 49
Hi everyone!!!!
I'm very depressed!!
I was unsuccessful at Manchester and RHU Master degree of petroleum geoscience last week. My GPA is 6.35/10 in Vietnam, but I have 4 experience years work as a geologist in a petroleum company in my country.
I have just tried it at University of Derby, and now is time for waiting again.
Please give me some advise about ranking of this university in petroleum, and probability of successful in entry!!!!!
I really need your help!!!!!!
Original post by BrianNinh
Hi everyone!!!!
I'm very depressed!!
I was unsuccessful at Manchester and RHU Master degree of petroleum geoscience last week. My GPA is 6.35/10 in Vietnam, but I have 4 experience years work as a geologist in a petroleum company in my country.
I have just tried it at University of Derby, and now is time for waiting again.
Please give me some advise about ranking of this university in petroleum, and probability of successful in entry!!!!!
I really need your help!!!!!!

Hi Brian Ninh,

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the ranking of Uni of Derby in this industry. But, as far as I'm concern, it is not very popular among the applicants (from what I've read in this forum, the applicants tend to choose Imperial as their main choice, followed by other unis in UK). As for me, I didn't put Derby in my uni list at all. This is because I didn't quite interested with their programme's structure.

Having said that you have been rejected from Manchester & HRU uni is quite shocked since you have 4 years of experience as a geologist in this industry. And I believe that your experience must be very good (unless it is otherwise). I suggest that you re-evaluate your supporting documents (especially your Personal Statement & CV) before applying again to other unis. You should also try The University of Aberdeen, Heriot-Watt University and Imperial College London (but Imperial actually has already closed their application for 2014/2015 admission).

Don't stress! Find someone from your friends/colleagues that can help you with those documents. I'm sure that they're willing to help.

Btw, can someone help me to choose between Manchester & Heriot Watt (HW)? I've got an offer for Petroleum Geoscience (Exploration) from Manchester & will be having my telephone interview with HW next week. I've read throughout this forum and I can't find concrete answer on which of this two uni & course is better. My mind is leaning towards Manchester since I am hoping to get a scholarship from my country and they have shortlisted unis that they prefer (sadly, HW didn't listed there). But, I've read that HW is a good uni to study Pet Geo. Help please?
Shinaz,

I'm going with Manchester for a number of reasons:
The university is much better in general-it's Russell Group, it's high in the rankings both UK and globally. It's got a very good reputation that is known over the world...Rutherford split the atom there! The library services are some of the best in the country. The campus is beautiful. It's got it's own museum...and I love natural history. They are currently investing £1 Billion in the University-more than has ever been done before. It's a HUGE university with a single campus, located in an exciting vibrant city. Finally, it's not in Scotland!

The course-
BP Selected School,
Schlumberger Centre of Excellence,
Linked with pretty much ALL major petroleum companies,
Greatest number of workstations of all* UK universities (around 50)
In 2011, 2012 and 2013, ALL graduates employed in industry!
It's one of the largest Petroleum Centres in the UK-5 petroleum geoscience/engineering degree courses,
Everything is included in the course fees (unlike imperial) including 3 fieldcourses-1 in Mallorca or somewhere very similar,
Pet.Geo. for Exploration competes in the AAPG Imperial Barrel Award.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luke O'Gorman
Shinaz,

I'm going with Manchester for a number of reasons:
The university is much better in general-it's Russell Group, it's high in the rankings both UK and globally. It's got a very good reputation that is known over the world...Rutherford split the atom there! The library services are some of the best in the country. The campus is beautiful. It's got it's own museum...and I love natural history. They are currently investing £1 Billion in the University-more than has ever been done before. It's a HUGE university with a single campus, located in an exciting vibrant city. Finally, it's not in Scotland!

The course-
BP Selected School,
Schlumberger Centre of Excellence,
Linked with pretty much ALL major petroleum companies,
Greatest number of workstations of all* UK universities (around 50)
In 2011, 2012 and 2013, ALL graduates employed in industry!
It's one of the largest Petroleum Centres in the UK-5 petroleum geoscience/engineering degree courses,
Everything is included in the course fees (unlike imperial) including 3 fieldcourses-1 in Mallorca or somewhere very similar,
Pet.Geo. for Exploration competes in the AAPG Imperial Barrel Award.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Luke!
Thanks for replying :smile:. I'm an international student from Malaysia. From all of your data here, I see that you have done your research very well. It's good to know that Manchester has such a very high reputation in this industry. And I love to here about the museum too!

Seems that you've made your mind to go to Manchester, is it? Btw, why did you stress out that the uni is not in Scotland as an important fact for you? May I know why? Did you apply this course in other universities too?
shinaz,

Yes, my mind is made up. Sorry, that was a UK political joke. Firstly, I don't particularly want to live in Scotland as it's quite far away (I'm in Brighton at the moment) and secondly I'm concerned that when Scotland becomes an independent country, I will no longer have a UK degree and thus it will probably lose some reputation internationally. Also, as an English student, I would have to pay ridiculous fees in Scotland and in fact Scottish students and EU students both pay LESS than English students. It baffles me as to why a student from Greece should pay less than a student from the UK (Currently the SAME country)!
In addition to UoM, I applied to Royal Holloway, Newcastle, HW and Imperial. To be perfectly honest, had I got in to Imperial I would have chosen it-that'll teach you to piss about in second year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Hi All,

I got an offer from Univ of Manchester.. To be honest from where I come from, RHUL & Imperial are quite well known. I know Univ of Aberdeen because I used to stay there. It is really nice to get a lot of info from here about Univ of Manchester....But seriously, can somebody convince me more about option in Manchester..
Original post by sapulidi
Hi All,

I got an offer from Univ of Manchester.. To be honest from where I come from, RHUL & Imperial are quite well known. I know Univ of Aberdeen because I used to stay there. It is really nice to get a lot of info from here about Univ of Manchester....But seriously, can somebody convince me more about option in Manchester..

Hello~

Can you possibly tell us where ur from? I definitely have the same question with you since I also got the offer from Manchester and maybe we will be classmate. I also have offer from RHUL and Heriot-Watt but I exclude RHUL out of my alternatives since I don't think it is that famous compared to the two I mentioned above.

How do you think about RHUL?

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
hi i'm a second year environmental science student. I would love to be accepted into a masters degree in petroleum geoscience in Britain. I know that environmental science is not always accepted but does anybody know of an industry that would accept an environmental student for either summer/1 year placement so i can build up relevant experience. Woulsd somebody be so kind as to give me details of these placements.Also, is there any subjects (in my undergrad course) that would make my degree more appealing?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
I'm definitely going to Manchester, is anyone else here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by Talizman
Hi Everyone,

Cheers.

Hi Talizman i still dont understand about the term 2:2 or 2:1 in UK, Actually i intend to apply to Royal Holloway for Petroleum Geoscience and my GPA is 3,02/4 is that equal with 2:2 or or more. could you help me to understand about this before i apply to RHUL
Reply 59
Original post by sapulidi
Hi All,

Hi sapulidi
It looks like you are Indonesian, I want to ask some thing. i still dont understand about the term 2:2 or 2:1 in UK, Actually i intend to apply to Royal Holloway or Manchester for Petroleum Geoscience and my GPA is 3,02/4 is that equal with 2:2 or or more. could you help me to understand about this before i apply to RHUL or Manchester Uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending