Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Train Travel Etiquette

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1. Elderly, pregnant and some disabled people. The mentally handicapped, no. Partly because they are just as able to stand as me and also because they would feel patronised and belittled that these "normal" people are trying to help them, when they are in no need of help. Being constantly treated differently by people is wearisome and frustrating for disabled people.

2. Sit on the seats untill someone asks me to move.

3. Get the ignorant bastard to move his stuff.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Applies to buses as well. I hate it with a passion when you take the window seat so someone can sit next to you, then the bus gets busy and someone inevitably comes, and you're glared at when you want to get off the bus before they do. They just swivel round for you to climb over them. How about standing up for two ****ing seconds?
    Sometimes, if my stop is coming up soon, I ask them where they're getting off so, if I'm going to be getting off first, I'll sit in the aisle seat.

Or at least, I used to until someone managed to misconstrue it as a proposition...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) If someone looks genuinely uncomfortable standing up then I'll offer them my seat regardless of age/disability etc. Someone who's very old or physically disabled I would generally offer my seat to as well.

2)Don't have reserved seats on any trains I get. I'd probably sit in one if I really couldn't be bothered to stand/on a long journey - obviously until reserver turns up!

3)Yes, it's never occurred to me not to!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    2. Yes. Worst case scenario is having to leave the seat when the passenger boards the train later on.
    The reserved seats I come across all have a notice displayed indicating that there's a fine for removing the notice and a pretty hefty one (ie, £200 + ) for improper occupation of the seat.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always put my bag in the seat beside me. I've had too many fat people squash me and people that smell making my clothes smell to care. I hate public transport, I seem to have the worst luck.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1) Certainly for a pregnant woman/disabled person/elderly person (i.e. clearly over 65). Not really for anyone else. Maybe more willing if I've only got a short journey.

I once had a man who couldn't have been older than 50 staring at me for 20 minutes on the Tube, giving me such a nasty look for not giving him my seat. I had a half hour journey left, so I didn't want to end up standing the whole time.

2) Sit in it confidently. If someone came over and said it was their seat, I would apologise profusely and claim that I got mixed up. (Though I assume this applies for national rail)

3) Without a doubt ask them to move it. It is pretty self-centred if the train is packed.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Sometimes, if my stop is coming up soon, I ask them where they're getting off so, if I'm going to be getting off first, I'll sit in the aisle seat.

Or at least, I used to until someone managed to misconstrue it as a proposition...
    It annoys me so much that sometimes if a bus fills right up I get up and stand on the lower deck without getting off.

Oh and chewing gum should be wiped from the annals of history.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The reserved seats I come across all have a notice displayed indicating that there's a fine for removing the notice and a pretty hefty one (ie, £200 + ) for improper occupation of the seat.
    Well, I've only ever sat in reserved seats unaware that they were reserved, and when confronted by two burly germans during interrail once, immediately vacated the seat.

A few months ago in Belgium my reserved seat was double booked and there was a person in my seat with the same reservation as me, so I sat down nearby and couldn't care less because it wasn't my fault.

p.s. I don't see why it's a big issue anyway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I were healthy, fit and elderly and someone offered me their seat I'd be slightly offended..I see this so much on the tube i.e. people turn down seats uncomfortably.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    So with train crowding becoming an almost constant issue (on my routes anyway), there have been some situations where I'm not quite sure how to act.

1. You're sitting in a priority seat (or any other seat if it makes any difference), who do you give your seat up for?

I would answer the elderly, disabled, and pregnant. But I've seen others offer their seats for people who didn't look any of those. Today, the girl next to me offered her seat to a German tourist. This left her husband standing, and I was wondering if I was expected to offer my seat to him, so he can sit with his wife? By the time I was getting close to my conclusion on this situation, I had to get off.

I also saw a girl offer her seat to a woman who looked no older than 50. That's not too old to stand is it? Maybe she was offended at being treated like an OAP, as she declined.

2. Most of the seats are reserved. Do you sit one of them?

It's always a gamble, but I'm always left annoyed as no-one ends up occupying some of them.

3. Snobby business man is sat on the aisle side, with his bag taking up the window side seat. He sees everyone standing around him, but doesn't move his bag. Do you have the balls to tell him you want to sit there?

I know I certainly do. These type of people annoy me to the max. They should buy another ticket if they want to take up another seat with their luggage on a packed train.

As you can tell, commuting is getting to me.
    1. If you're an able bodied man give up your seat (priority or otherwise) for disabled, elderly, anyone with children, women and especially pregnant women.

2. Yeah occupy until the seat occupier comes then go occupy another one, no sense wasting a seat, sometimes you get lucky and no one comes.

3. Don't quite get what "snobby business man" has to do with anything, because someone is wearing a suit they're instantly a snob and a business man? Nice stereotyping there douchebag.
    And yes you ask him to move his bag so you can sit down, or ask him on behalf of someone who needs the seat more than you.

One thing I really hate is commuters on trains though, they come sit next to you but then when you try to start a conversation they just look at you like you're a wierdo.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I used to think about this but going on rush hour tubes has taught me if a seat comes up get your arse on it and dont move for anyone. I agree the bag on the seat is annoying, fair enough if there are a lot of empty seats but as the train fills people shouldnt have to ask you to move your bag. You can tell that there will be not be enough seats and someone is going to ask you to move it anyway so I dont get why people wait for this to happen instead of just moving it.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    I used to think about this but going on rush hour tubes has taught me if a seat comes up get your arse on it and dont move for anyone. I agree the bag on the seat is annoying, fair enough if there are a lot of empty seats but as the train fills people shouldnt have to ask you to move your bag. You can tell that there will be not be enough seats and someone is going to ask you to move it anyway so I dont get why people wait for this to happen instead of just moving it.
    Isn't it obvious? They're hoping no one will ask them, so they don't have to put their bag on the floor or their lap.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    I wouldn't get up for people who are not disabled/ appear perfectly healthy
    Some people may appear healthy but do have disabilities. I'm one of those people. You can't know by looking at someone whether they're disabled or not.

I remember one time coming back from Leicester and got the train, looked around for my seat and someone said "I think I'm sat in your seat?" I thought that was nice of him to actually give it up.

1. Elderly, pregnant and some disabled people. The mentally handicapped, no. Partly because they are just as able to stand as me and also because they would feel patronised and belittled that these "normal" people are trying to help them, when they are in no need of help. Being constantly treated differently by people is wearisome and frustrating for disabled people.
    Some mentally disabled people have physical disabilities too.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it obvious? They're hoping no one will ask them, so they don't have to put their bag on the floor or their lap.
    Someone always asks though they never get away with it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    So with train crowding becoming an almost constant issue (on my routes anyway), there have been some situations where I'm not quite sure how to act.

1. You're sitting in a priority seat (or any other seat if it makes any difference), who do you give your seat up for?

I would answer the elderly, disabled, and pregnant. But I've seen others offer their seats for people who didn't look any of those. Today, the girl next to me offered her seat to a German tourist. This left her husband standing, and I was wondering if I was expected to offer my seat to him, so he can sit with his wife? By the time I was getting close to my conclusion on this situation, I had to get off.

I also saw a girl offer her seat to a woman who looked no older than 50. That's not too old to stand is it? Maybe she was offended at being treated like an OAP, as she declined.

2. Most of the seats are reserved. Do you sit one of them?

It's always a gamble, but I'm always left annoyed as no-one ends up occupying some of them.

3. Snobby business man is sat on the aisle side, with his bag taking up the window side seat. He sees everyone standing around him, but doesn't move his bag. Do you have the balls to tell him you want to sit there?

I know I certainly do. These type of people annoy me to the max. They should buy another ticket if they want to take up another seat with their luggage on a packed train.

As you can tell, commuting is getting to me.
    1) I do in all of those cases, but also if it's anyone older than me who looks incredibly annoyed to have to stand. I.e if they're complaining a lot then, or are quietly grumbling away I usually offer because I'm only there for 15 minutes until I get off (but it's still nice to sit down!)
    2) I check the reservation tickets on an empty seat and see where it's booked from, so if it's somebody's seat who's getting on after I get off, I sit down, also if it's already meant to be filled but isn't.
    I wish more people did what I do though, it's annoying on a long train journey when people sit in your seat and you have to ask them to move and they refuse because "you weren't sitting in it when they got on".
    3) I always ask, or ask them if it's possible for them to move up.. there should be specific train rules! However, I have witnessed situations where people have specifically bought four seats at a table as they need the whole table space for work or luggage, and people have been extremely rude about it?

I go on far too many train journeys :rolleyes:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you incapable of bending over or even stretching your arm to fish them out one at a time from a bag that's on the floor, then? If you are, my apologies.
    Why should I lift the tray thingy which is holding the aforementioned things (exam paper, markscheme, resource booklet, and markbook) to go down into the tiny space that is reserved for my legs, fish into a bag (under my legs) of 90 exam papers, find the next one that I need to mark, and get it out, as well as putting the last one back....when I mightaswell keep them all in my bag organised nicely poking out of my bag on the seat next to me?

It might seem stupid to someone like you, it really might, but believe me when you've got so many things to do every little thing that helps to make the process quicker helps. Doing that once might save 10 seconds, doing it x90 exam papers will save 15 minutes
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Why should I lift the tray thingy which is holding the aforementioned things (exam paper, markscheme, resource booklet, and markbook) to go down into the tiny space that is reserved for my legs, fish into a bag (under my legs) of 90 exam papers, find the next one that I need to mark, and get it out, as well as putting the last one back....when I mightaswell keep them all in my bag organised nicely poking out of my bag on the seat next to me?

It might seem stupid to someone like you, it really might, but believe me when you've got so many things to do every little thing that helps to make the process quicker helps. Doing that once might save 10 seconds, doing it x90 exam papers will save 15 minutes
    Can't you just take a small pile out and put them on the table?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dobbs)
    Why should I ...
    Because it is a seat. Its purpose is pretty obvious.
    If the train is empty, then fair enough.
    But if it is busy and there are not many seats free, then it is downright rude not to move your stuff.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Applies to buses as well. I hate it with a passion when you take the window seat so someone can sit next to you, then the bus gets busy and someone inevitably comes, and you're glared at when you want to get off the bus before they do. They just swivel round for you to climb over them. How about standing up for two ****ing seconds?
    i ****ing hate this
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Because it is a seat. Its purpose is pretty obvious.
    If the train is empty, then fair enough.
    But if it is busy and there are not many seats free, then it is downright rude not to move your stuff.
    No, it's rude not to move your stuff if someone asks you. It is not rude not to move your stuff if you are busy working and no-one actually asks you.

People seem to think I'm like the antichrist for working on the train :rolleyes: Stop getting so angry at it and if you want the seat, ask if you can sit there.

Also, I'm not always the one sitting working. I have also gotten on very busy trains and people have bags on seats, and you just see people standing around giving disapproving looks....if you have such a problem with it ASK THEM IF YOU CAN SIT THERE. For all they know you WANT to stand up because you're getting off at the next stop, if you don't ask, they don't know. Sigh.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.