Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want braces removed straight away.

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When I had braces for 2 years, I thought it was the end of my life. I hated them and they hurt so much every day because they were actually shifting one of my teeth across my mouth to its correct position! Now, 3 years later and with good teeth, I don't even remember what they felt like.
    The time that I did have them for feels insignificant now, and I'm so glad I'm sat here with a distance painful memory rather than a mess of teeth in my mouth. Even though you say you didn't mind your teeth, you should get them fixed as soon as possible, as one day in the future you might want to fix them and it'll be expensive and you'll probably be an adult - like my ex boyfriend who now has braces and he's at uni - HA!
    When you're an adult, it will all be just be part of your childhood. They are part of growing up for most people.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    just got them too :/ my main problem is pain with chewing, but I reckon it'll go off

apparently if you break them 4 times the NHS terminate your treatment for you...

OP should just stick with them though
    Bold is false. I've had mine since August 2010, and I think the wire has been snapped/bracket broke every visit since I got them...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my teeth are pretty straight and i got convinced to get em done 2 years ago ... was pretty pointless and told them to remove it after 6 months as they were a nuisance , ripped up my inner lip and i really couldnt be arsed. it is your choice i got mine removed when i asked
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The taste of metal goes.

Food wise you don't have to avoid anything, just use your common sense. Having said that the first thing I did when I got mine off was have ribs!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had braces my self and hated every second. Your answer depends on how old you are. 18 you can legally tell him to take them out, below that not sure, may be able to at 16 as well. Below that I think your parents still make your medical decisions, I imagine though if you convinced your parents they'd get taken out. It doesn't make a big difference either way.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Having a good bite isn't just about how it looks. You could have issues with your teeth that would make them more crowded over time or another structural problem - quite likely in fact, if you've got NHS braces with only a tiny aesthetic problem. Keep them on.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Or you'll end up one of those people saying "Why didn't my parents make me keep my braces?! "
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    In two years you will be so grateful that you wore them. You'll see, as long as you wear retainers for a while afterwards.

Take it from someone who knows They are so worth it.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Or you'll end up one of those people saying "Why didn't my parents make me keep my braces?! "
    Yeah true. I've had braces (now wearing retainers). I had an ICT teachers (her teeth is a bit wonky) and her dad used to tell her growing up that she should definately have braces, but she said no because it wasn't the "cool" thing to do. Now she really regrets not ever having braces. Also if she wants them now she'd have to pay for them because it's not free when you are an adult.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get them to take it off, but I'm telling you right now, stick through,its gonna be a crappy 2 years but you will get used it and the end result is totally worth it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have braces and they aren't comfortable. I don't really care what they feel like or look like because i know i will have perfect teeth after the time !
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Braces are worth it.... At first it's the worst thing ever but you get used to it!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, I got braces yesterday afternoon.

I didn't really want them, I don't give a **** about my teeth not being 'perfect', but I went along with it because my mother wanted me to.

Its not the pain that I cant stand, which I know will obviously go off after a few days until they are next tightened, but I cant stand the taste of metal and the feel of them in my mouth.

Can an Orthodontist legally refuse to take them off? Or am I allowed to pull out straight away.
    Try Invisalign
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd stick with them for a bit, if your teeth are genuinely out of place. Mine were as my milk teeth didn't come out of their own accord. Once the actual visible problem is sorted you can just get them taken out. My orthodontist wanted to keep mine in for another year because there were "gaps between my back teeth". My response was who cares?
    Every dentist i spoke to says almost everyone has their braces taken out before the orthodontist would say it was time. They have this vision of perfect teeth but no one who isn't a dentist looking in your mouth will notice minor flaws like the ones I had.
    So I got them removed wore the retainer for all of ten minutes, thought "sod this" and threw them away, teeth moved a tiny bit back but not to any significant degree, I only spotted it because I actively looked for it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'd stick in with them! There's no point in ripping them out since you might damage your teeth and they cost around £2000 apparently.
    I had a massive twin block in my mouth to bring my jaw forward before I got fixed braces and to be honest the pain from fixed braces was nothing compared to the block

Just get a bit of paracetamol down you and you'll be fine
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    give in a couple of weeks and if you still hate them ask about having them off. I've had braces since november and other than animals there really but to bad.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Taste of metal for a short time > Not improving your teeth

By that I mean that you soon get used to them. I have braces and I don't notice them at all now.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, I got braces yesterday afternoon.

I didn't really want them, I don't give a **** about my teeth not being 'perfect', but I went along with it because my mother wanted me to.

Its not the pain that I cant stand, which I know will obviously go off after a few days until they are next tightened, but I cant stand the taste of metal and the feel of them in my mouth.

Can an Orthodontist legally refuse to take them off? Or am I allowed to pull out straight away.
    You will honestly get used to the feeling (it will take a couple of weeks but after a while you wont even notice). Why did you go along so far as to let them put them in if you really weren't bothered?! Couldn't you have just said to your mum you didn't want them? They're in now so you may as well leave them there - I'm sure they would take them off if they were causing you distress however.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.