Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Life Is ****ing Pointless - Why Bother?

Announcements Posted on
Make a difference in the community and greet new people - join the Welcome Squad! 22-10-2014
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I will agree that life has no inherent purpose - but that doesn't mean it has NO purpose. You are here for perhaps 80 years or so, regardless of how many childish threads you make, so just grow up and make the most of it like everyone else.

Just do whatever makes you happy.

(Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything this person does from here on in. I do not endorse self harm, anheroing or any crimes of a cruel or sexual nature.)

(Original post by Artymess)
    If the average life-route of mortgage, kids and a dead-end job doesn't suit you - go out and do something else :holmes:

A handy bonus in life is freedom - you're free to go have an adventure, fall in love and sleep under the stars. I'd recommend it
    An adventure which always ends this same, pathetic way. And in the end, no one will remember you or give a **** about you. No one cares, everyone forgets. After all, we're just the same decaying material as everyone else. No one is special. No one is unique. No one is loved. It's just chemicals. And we all die some day, why bother wasting pointless years trying to find an 'inner self' or a sense well being when it's all in vain?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good food, good beer, good company, Lulz.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    it might be pointless, but we may as well at least try and enjoy it whilst we're here
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go on a mass snail killing spree. It'll make you feel better.

(Original post by pinkangelgirl)
    it might be pointless, but we may as well at least try and enjoy it whilst we're here
    Says who? I haven't enjoyed my life at all. Why should I try to continue?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex3591)
    Grow the **** up.
    **** I negged you when I was actually supposed to like your comment
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Erm ... no.

You sound like a disillusioned, depressed and demotivated pleb.

Other people are motivated, ambitious and have goals that they wish to achieve. Others do not remain confined. Some of these others are even high-earners, wealthy entrepreneurs, wealthy, ambitious and comfortable higher persons in society.

There is no point - you create your own point.

If you are still struggling, then by all means do the Race a favour and perform your evolutionary obligations (in your case.... :rip:)
    yepyep
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    An adventure which always ends this same, pathetic way. And in the end, no one will remember you or give a **** about you. No one cares, everyone forgets. After all, we're just the same decaying material as everyone else. No one is special. No one is unique. No one is loved. It's just chemicals. And we all die some day, why bother wasting pointless years trying to find an 'inner self' or a sense well being when it's all in vain?
    Death isn't pathetic, it's necessary - we age, we shut down, we make space for future generations, freeing up resources for them. And those chemicals are just elements, which are just sub atomic particles, which are just quarks. Deconstructing something isn't an argument for it not existing. Quite happy to say I love my family, my friends and my girlfriend - take it from a biologist, just because they're signals and chemicals doesn't make them mean any less :rolleyes:

I'd rather spend years with a sense of well being and happiness than decide it's not worth it and do something more drastic. Death isn't dark, or cold, or a gateway to another world - it's just nothing. I'll take life over nothingness.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Life isn't about how it ends. It about what do before you get there.

A sandwich is named for it's filling, not for the slices that surround it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well so what? You're going to be dead for a very long time, which doesn't mean you should just look on life as a pointless intermission before nothingness. Make the most of the time you have. You will have people who love and care about you, especially if you adopt a more positive attitude, and who will continue to do so after you die. If your parents died tomorrow, would you forget about them next week? It's a stupid argument. And people are special to those who care about them. So what if it's not the world at large? Sure it would be nice to be a great name remembered a few generations later etc. but not being one is not something to be scoffed at. I think you'll find most people when they die will be happy that they have lived a long fulfilled life and are surrounded by loved ones. Not to twist this into anything emotional but I had a very good friend who died last year. She was the life and soul of everything and got so much out of life. She was teaching English in South Asia having the time of her life and died from food poisoning. She was only 21. She would have given everything to have lived a lot longer. It angers me when i think of her and how much she just went for things and hear about people bemoaning life. I absolutely understand that is a symptom of depression though, it's moreso the idea of it rather than the people themselves.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Make the most of what you have then.

Depressingly looking to the future gains you nothing you wouldn't have it you cheered up.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    it's your choice. at the end of the day if you don't want to live that way only you have the power to change things.

life is beautiful

how did you get so much pos anyway? TSR is full of pessimists...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Life is amazing - if you're beautiful.

If you're ugly, then you yeah, what is the point of living?
    Ffs. Why do you seek so much attention? Every post you always talk about your looks. Accept and embrace who you are, because if you can't no one else will. Just generally grow up.
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxm)
    Ffs. Why do you seek so much attention? Every post you always talk about your looks. Accept who you are, because if you can't no one else will. Grow up.
    I do accept the fact that I'm ugly. FFS, I've been saying it all the time - of course I know I am.

No, I don't care. Because I'm not beautiful, damn right I have the right to speak my mind.

So what - only beautiful people can speak their mind?

Maybe there is some crazy point in life but nobody knows it until you do die? Or maybe there isn't. Who cares, you're here now so you might as well have some fun. There's no point over thinking things like this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I do accept the fact that I'm ugly. FFS, I've been saying it all the time - of course I know I am.

No, I don't care. Because I'm not beautiful, damn right I have the right to speak my mind.

So what - only beautiful people can speak their mind?
    You missed the point of my post maybe I worded it wrong, I was trying to say why do you always feel the need to put yourself down in nearly all your posts? Your probably exaggerating about your looks, as most of us tend to criticise ourselves harder than others do. Where in my post did I say beautiful people are the only one's who can speak their mind?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're right, everything is pointless, but that doesn't mean you can't be happy. I think it's best just to indulge your animalistic pleasures at every opportunity, trip on every chemical that comes by, see as much of the world as you can and just generally fit as much enjoyment in as you can before you're too old and knackered to bother anymore. What else are you gonna do? Watch the telly? Go to ****ing work?

(Original post by Bellissima)
    it's your choice. at the end of the day if you don't want to live that way only you have the power to change things.

life is beautiful

how did you get so much pos anyway? TSR is full of depressives...

why am i surprised?
    So suicide is the right option then?

(Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    Well so what? You're going to be dead for a very long time, which doesn't mean you should just look on life as a pointless intermission before nothingness. Make the most of the time you have. You will have people who love and care about you, especially if you adopt a more positive attitude, and who will continue to do so after you die. If your parents died tomorrow, would you forget about them next week? It's a stupid argument. And people are special to those who care about them. So what if it's not the world at large? Sure it would be nice to be a great name remembered a few generations later etc. but not being one is not something to be scoffed at. I think you'll find most people when they die will be happy that they have lived a long fulfilled life and are surrounded by loved ones. Not to twist this into anything emotional but I had a very good friend who died last year. She was the life and soul of everything and got so much out of life. She was teaching English in South Asia having the time of her life and died from food poisoning. She was only 21. She would have given everything to have lived a lot longer. It angers me when i think of her and how much she just went for things and hear about people bemoaning life. I absolutely understand that is a symptom of depression though, it's moreso the idea of it rather than the people themselves.
    Probably.
    No they aren't. That can be easily explained by simple biological/psychological processes. At the end of the day human beings are nothing more than pathetic beings who managed to crawl to the top of the food chain. No one will be remembered. No one is ever loved truly. It's just a useless postulate that is explained by science. No one if special or unique. We all die anyway so why bother living any longer in a world of pointlessness?

(Original post by Artymess)
    Death isn't pathetic, it's necessary - we age, we shut down, we make space for future generations, freeing up resources for them. And those chemicals are just elements, which are just sub atomic particles, which are just quarks. Deconstructing something isn't an argument for it not existing. Quite happy to say I love my family, my friends and my girlfriend - take it from a biologist, just because they're signals and chemicals doesn't make them mean any less :rolleyes:

I'd rather spend years with a sense of well being and happiness than decide it's not worth it and do something more drastic. Death isn't dark, or cold, or a gateway to another world - it's just nothing. I'll take life over nothingness.
    No, but life sure is. Living is always going to be a problem because we die. We all end, no matter how often we try to prolong it. Freeing up resources doesn't stop the inevitable end for any one human being or the likely end to humanity. Love is merely a chemical, unpoetic, pathetic feeling which arises out of a desire of attachment. That diminishes any understanding of what 'love' is - take it from a scientist, love can be reduced to explanation in a labaratory, it be subjected to tests, it can be disected like the miserable thing it is. Love is nothing unique about humans - it's just an uneccesary amount of attachment.

I'd rather die now than live another worthless day on this miserable and doomed planet. There's nothing worth living for when you reduce everything down to that basis.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So suicide is the right option then?
    my answer would be no, mainly because you could potentially ruin the lives of others and i do think people who seriously consider/attempt suicide are in need of a lot of help, whether psycological, physical or just support.

there are options you can take, you need to confront what you don't like about living and make a change where possible. don't like living in this country? pack up and move. there is an entire world out there... you aren't just confined to one place. i'm not really sure what you mean by confined lives because imo you can break out of that it really just depends on what you want out of life and what you are willing to do in order to change.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.