Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Life Is ****ing Pointless - Why Bother?

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No, I have simply realised the truth about the world. But not just realised that futility, but I know it - I already made the point earlier that there is difference between those who 'understand' and those who understand. I can't see the point in life. I don't see myself as psychologically or physically in need of help - simply that I've finally comprehended a truth about the universe which has plague me for a while. I don't like living in this world, not this country. It is a world of hatred and sorry promises, of vomit enducing 'love' and of an alleged 'equality'. But I know the truth, like many others. And when someone like me realises the truth they not only lose faith in everything but they also see there are no boundaries of morality, nothing stops them - when someone's spirit breaks completely they become the most dangerous to everyone else.
    ok fine if you want to be miserable that is your choice. i hope you find help and also whatever it is that you are looking for but if "understanding" makes you so pessimistic and have a seriously unpleasant view on the world then i would rather stay as i am. you seem to think you somehow enlightened and if you are that has to make you see the world in that negative way... in fact i think it makes you need to think of the positives. i "realise the truth" but that only makes me want to enjoy the time i have here as best i can and make it as positive as i can. sometimes it feels like you are suffocating but you are right, if you start seeing everything in such a crap way there really is no "point"... not that there is any point in life anyway, personally i don't see why there needs to be.

i'm sorry that you feel that way and i know that nothing i nor anyone else will make a difference... it's up to you if you don't want to accept help. as for your last sentence i just hope you don't take out your own lack of self purpose out on anyone else and ruin the time they have.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do wonder about these kind of posts but here goes, this is my two cents...

A sense of 'pointlessness' suggests a lack of direction in life, and your negativity seems very bleak. I think you may need to reassess your goals and attitude towards life otherwise you will never get out of your spiralling depression. It is important to realise that this attitude is not healthy and you need to do something about it. Please go to your GP about getting some counselling and maybe some medication if you need it. You honestly sound very depressed to me.

I know this might not be the reaction you were hoping to get, but I think you really need to take a good look at yourself and discover the root of your negativity. Rather than discuss 'the meaning of life' and all the worldly woes that apparently follow this philosophy, take a more practical approach and sort your life out.

I empathise very sincerely with your mental state, but being so incredibly negative will only affect one person - YOU. Surely it is better to spend 80 years or more here on Earth as a happy, positive, healthy individual than as a negative person that if slowly suffering inside, posting on internet forums and hoping the depression will go away on its own. You really need to speak to someone about how you feel.

Please do not be offended I am simply offering help and advice as much as I can. Mental health is a real issue and everyone needs to be aware of how damaging it can be on a person's life.

Take care. I hope you have the strength to get some help.

P.s. In my last job, I was a lion ranger in South Africa. Life is not boring!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything but it sounds like you might have depression... what you've wrote here doesn't exactly tell me that you're in the best state of mind, and tbh I would go see a doctor asap
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graemematt)
    Well its only "true" as you want to know it. Facts are never subjective. They're objective analyses of multiple subjective opinions. I know you don't want to see anyone to help with this, but I would recommend you speak to someone you know who might be able to offer an alternative perspective on life...open a discussion, face to face maybe?
    I don't think the OP sounds like the in-person type

(Original post by graemematt)
    Well its only "true" as you want to know it. Facts are never subjective. They're objective analyses of multiple subjective opinions. I know you don't want to see anyone to help with this, but I would recommend you speak to someone you know who might be able to offer an alternative perspective on life...open a discussion, face to face maybe?
    People live a limited life, people are forgotten, love can be reduced to nothing more than a chemical reaction - there is nothing special or romantic, or poetic about it; those are the hard, cold facts of life.
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NapoleonDynamite)
    Beautiful people are in no way superior to "ugly" people.
    They're superior in their looks.
    • 167 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxm)
    Why feel the need to post it on the majority of your posts then? Try concentrating on something positive about yourself. Such as being academic.
    No point being academic (or anything else for that matter) if you're not beautiful. Considering I'm a girl, I'm worth nothing unless I'm beautiful.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    “I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow; but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing.”
    ― Agatha Christie
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, but life sure is. Living is always going to be a problem because we die. We all end, no matter how often we try to prolong it. Freeing up resources doesn't stop the inevitable end for any one human being or the likely end to humanity. Love is merely a chemical, unpoetic, pathetic feeling which arises out of a desire of attachment. That diminishes any understanding of what 'love' is - take it from a scientist, love can be reduced to explanation in a labaratory, it be subjected to tests, it can be disected like the miserable thing it is. Love is nothing unique about humans - it's just an uneccesary amount of attachment.

I'd rather die now than live another worthless day on this miserable and doomed planet. There's nothing worth living for when you reduce everything down to that basis.
    We're meant to die - it's our death that frees up resources for our offspring. You've missed the point there. Also your opinion of life being pathetic is also one formed from chemical interactions. If love is diminished then as is your opinion of it's worthlessness.

You're not even making logical arguments. "disected like the miserable thing it is"? Misery has nothing to do with dissection. Fortunately you're in a minority that considers death to be better than living here. If death is such a sorry, unfortunate, miserable thing, inevitable for us all - why do you rate it above life?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Erm ... no.

You sound like a disillusioned, depressed and demotivated pleb.

Other people are motivated, ambitious and have goals that they wish to achieve. Others do not remain confined. Some of these others are even high-earners, wealthy entrepreneurs, wealthy, ambitious and comfortable higher persons in society.

There is no point - you create your own point.

If you are still struggling, then by all means do the Race a favour and perform your evolutionary obligations (in your case.... :rip:)
    Ouch..

suggesting suicide? why don't you do US all a favour and sod off. Really don't need silly suggestions like that. Some people are crazy enough to actually listen to rubbish like that when they're depressed/upset, so be careful with what you say.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's something to do.

(Original post by Student296)
    People live life for countless reasons, and they say you only live once, but as a Muslim we believe this life is a test for us. Not to say we can't enjoy ourselves though
    Fair play if you have faith in something but I don't, sorry.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student296)
    You said that in another thread it was hilarious
    Yeh now he is whoring for rep..not funny.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    IM not even going to bother posting a comment.. but feel that you are being so childish that I need to post a comment.

As i'm sure one of the previous comments said the meaning of life is '42' I could sit here and give you 42 reasons but frankly they would be wasted on you.

If you think that Life is pointless think about other people (who are not as fortunate as you). Think about the people who have to work all day for less than what you would earn sitting on the dole in 20 minutes. Just think about that for a minute and then tell me life is pointless.

Grow up and stop being so immature, as the saying goes Grow a pair!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frodo Baggins)
    Sauron, i thought i destroyed you?!
    You didn't do ****, if Gollum hadn't been there you'd have kept the ring you greedy hobbit ****.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    dude speak for youself

(Original post by Carbon12)
    IM not even going to bother posting a comment.. but feel that you are being so childish that I need to post a comment.
    Nice going there.....

frankly they would be wasted on you.
    I know, I'm pathetic. And I shouldn't be worth your time, so I should just end it now should't I?

If you think that Life is pointless think about other people (who are not as fortunate as you). Think about the people who have to work all day for less than what you would earn sitting on the dole in 20 minutes. Just think about that for a minute and then tell me life is pointless.

Grow up and stop being so immature, as the saying goes Grow a pair!
    That's right, just take away my right to feel sad because of someone else. All I ever hear from people is not to compare yourself to others but then they give advice like this - how hypocritical.

That doesn't proove life has a point, it just means some people have things worse off than me - I'm not disputing that at all either; the fact that I can access a computer is extraordinary compared with people of some countries.

Immature? How is it immature to realise the truth about the world? I think you're the immature one.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Says who? I haven't enjoyed my life at all. Why should I try to continue?
    if your here then why not try and enjoy it?

no point deliberately not trying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've slowly begun to realise the inevitable facts of a subjective world of differing moralities to understand that there is infact no objective morality. But not just understand it, I've begun to know what it means.

All those people who talk about morality being subjective, they don't really want to know what that means. They don't want to accept that in a subjective world you can murder babies without any reprocussions, that you can rape one hundred women without feeling any remorse, that you can shoot those who you'd have called friends without shedding a tear.

No one wants to know or understand that because deep down they don't want to become some kind of horrible, monsterous creature - yet they would be a monster who merely speaks the truth.

If there is no point to this life, as reinforced by what I see day in and day out, people like me (or monsters like me) descend into the realisation of the sad yet inextricably nihilistic truth.
    not sure if anyone has brought this up yet, and its not like I'm trying to persuade anyone to do this but:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/br...e-1188778.html

I believe the world we live in encourages greed. Its how the capitalist system has developed. Why does it even occur to someone to murder their baby? Because they themselves live in a society which sees death on a daily basis.

However consider a world where everybody is equal, over generations people will forget how to murder, the word 'murder' itself COULD fade out of existence. The bottom line is that in this world right now, we are geared to protect ourselves, our family, and no one else. In a world like this there is no room for compassion. But what if we lived in a world where we became programmed, through years of natural development, to love one another as closely as you would hold your mother, daughter, brother or sister. Then there will be no murder, and there will be a POINT in living, and being part of humanity.

(Original post by pinkangelgirl)
    if your here then why not try and enjoy it?

no point deliberately not trying.
    Who said I'm deliberately not trying to enjoy life? I've merely hit a realisation - I can't help if I can't enjoy life anymore. I can try, but it'll end up the same way.

(Original post by lukewarm3)
    not sure if anyone has brought this up yet, and its not like I'm trying to persuade anyone to do this but:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/br...e-1188778.html

I believe the world we live in encourages greed. Its how the capitalist system has developed. Why does it even occur to someone to murder their baby? Because they themselves live in a society which sees death on a daily basis.

However consider a world where everybody is equal, over generations people will forget how to murder, the word 'murder' itself COULD fade out of existence. The bottom line is that in this world right now, we are geared to protect ourselves, our family, and no one else. In a world like this there is no room for compassion. But what if we lived in a world where we became programmed, through years of natural development, to love one another as closely as you would hold your mother, daughter, brother or sister. Then there will be no murder, and there will be a POINT in living, and being part of humanity.
    That sounds ruthlessly inhumanly, systematic and authoratarian.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.