Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Life Is ****ing Pointless - Why Bother?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Don't worry, I'll be out of your hair soon enough.
    Come now, I was only kidding~.

Aren't you having fun right now talking about how you're going to kill yourself and blah blah blah.

Maybe go out for a walk or something like that and get good lengthy sleep. That does wonders for any anxiety and etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dear Anonymous

In the world we live in now there IS no point. your right. so how about this as a solution- we change the society we live in to make it WORTH living? Say we lived in a world without money, where people had to rely on EACH OTHER. Put it like this, teachers would rely on children to teach for a job, teachers and children would rely on doctors, doctors would rely on their patients, and it goes on.
    In a world like that you would be urged to live because you would MATTER, you would be the link in a vital worldwide chain, a cell in a living organism etc. ..And if you think about it if you died in this world it wouldn't matter, society would move on blissfully, the Queens jubilee would still go ahead, society would move on. If your seriously trying to find a reason worth living, you should consider that at least.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Life is only pointless when you have nothing, and you only truly have nothing when you've no hope left in your heart.
    Ultimately, hope is what keeps you alive through most of your days and what draws others towards you - the promise of friendship, memories, etc.
    IMO, Only those that genuinely believe they have no hope dare to kill themselves.

Nobody completely forces you into the 'mould' either. However, the mould is based on many years of human and societal development, that people have universally grown accustomed to, probably because it seems the most practical way to live. Like many before me have said, 'life is what you make it' - if the idea of the conventional way of life doesn't appeal to you, you can most certainly alter your course and make your life more beautiful (in whatever way that means to you). Also, maybe you feel like everyone's lives are monotonous because you're analysing the broad perspective rather than considering the smaller things like personal memories, achievements, etc. Time and time again, people always repeat, 'it's the small things in life that make it what it is', and I'm a keen supporter of that phrase.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What has a point to it then? This thread?
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weird; someone posted something similar to OP just a few days ago on the Depression Society thread (maybe it was even you OP? Since they were anon too...) and it's been on my mind all week. I've been suffering from depression for ages, and its mainly from a bunch of stupid crap like worrying about education, careers, friendships, relationships, etc... when, why does all this stuff really even matter? It's all just making me unhappy and what I'd rather do right now is go on a travelling trip and see the world, which I plan to do once I've saved up enough money to (and I will find ways too). It does piss me off sometimes (well, pretty often actually) when I can't do things like get straight As, have boyfriends, have a massive social life, etc, but then again maybe I'm not meant to be like everyone else and I need to find a better purpose in my life :dontknow:

take an interest in humanity/fellow human beings

&/

the solar system, earth, cosmology, nature, environment

&/

ancient history, past civilisations, archaeology

&/

kids.. orphans, those in foster care, suicide groups, marginalised people

&/

current events and politics, languages

&/

who you are, who you want to be, what you want to do. what are you good at? what moves you? who are your heroes? why? who have you been a hero to?

&/
    stuff like BBC's hardest place to be a _____

Life is pointless and none of us are here because we choose to be. That's something that will take time to reconcile. Now that you are here, find out what doesn't drive you totally insane/suicidal. Find out what you have depended on to live and why.. question yourself.. question this world.. but keep your feet on the ground.. Find out how other people from all walks of life on this planet live their life. Study your kind.. Study other kinds.. Take time to appreciate the very simple things. Like.. watch the sunrise, the ocean, a documentary of earth so you can marvel at the cosmos and stare at the world from a different vantage point. Travel if you ever get the chance and can afford it. Don't take the people in your life for granted.

I guess I'm still bothering cause I haven't seen the best of me? But yeah I agree it all means nothing .. absolute 0 at the end of the day. So I choose to believe that in my past life I requested to experience this world. Sometimes I think in my next life I might be tested based on what I've learnt in this time. Other times I think this place is hell and that those who are here are damned in one way or another including myself. Other times I think we are all on some kind of petri dish or a video game. Time and time again I find myself marvelling at something though.. like, I'll read about the sun or other planets or how clouds form, plate tectonics, earthquakes and all that and just marvel. Then I have moments when I wish I was around from way back when so I can see how global events have unfolded throughout with my own eyes. I visit the dinosaur museum at times to marvel at the fact that they existed once upon a time. I wonder if I'll ever get to go to space one day.. read about the first humans who manipulated fire and how that changed our course forever... listen to lectures about our near species the chimps and bonobos.. I have times when I thought I'd end my life when my parents die but then I think hmm.. let's see..

I used to take pride in being able to empower and console people .. I've only recently realised how much of a cluster**** this world is and how different we all are. My motto used to be make bridges dont drive wedges but it's hard, especially after reading some stuff on individualist anarchy lol.. all those thinkers who have spent their time writing about human kind.. they can't be wrong, can they? Then i realise that essentially what concerns them concerns all of us too. Only they dedicate their whole lives (often in isolation) to reconcile what youths today do through dubstep and weed for example lol. I really don't know. I say hang on and keep searching for a reason/motivation.. but make it an active search.
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Life is amazing - if you're beautiful.

If you're ugly, then you yeah, what is the point of living?
    A lot of people consider Lady Gaga ugly, but she's got a pretty good life going on, don't you think?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I hope you aren't going to throw away your future because you feel in the moment like you want to become some hippy tree hugger.

Either way, adieu~. I am just too awesome, for my own good.

I'll let you ignorant children have your fun.
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people consider Lady Gaga ugly, but she's got a pretty good life going on, don't you think?
    I mean REALLY, REALLY ugly. She's not ugly at all if she's been on the front cover of magazines.
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avupa(^.~))
    I hope you aren't going to throw away your future because you feel in the moment like you want to become some hippy tree hugger.

Either way, adieu~. I am just too awesome, for my own good.

I'll let you ignorant children have your fun.
    Meh, I don't feel like I have that much to lose at the moment. I'm already pretty directionless and crap at almost everything. Of course I probably wouldn't go travelling my whole life, just until I start to feel better about life and more refreshed to make big decisions about my life.
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    I mean REALLY, REALLY ugly. She's not ugly at all if she's been on the front cover of magazines.
    I know how tempting it is to be self-pitying - believe me I do it myself quite often, although I'm trying to stop now. But c'mon, there's more to life than looks. Decent people will like you no matter what. And heck, some people will still think you're pretty anyway because beauty is subjective

Plus, makeup is a saviour for women :fyi:
    • 160 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know how tempting it is to be self-pitying - believe me I do it myself quite often, although I'm trying to stop now. But c'mon, there's more to life than looks. Decent people will like you no matter what. And heck, some people will still think you're pretty anyway because beauty is subjective

Plus, makeup is a saviour for women :fyi:
    Now men want natural beauty. Great.

At the end of the day, beautiful people will find it easier to find love.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaya_01)
    Ouch..

suggesting suicide? why don't you do US all a favour and sod off. Really don't need silly suggestions like that. Some people are crazy enough to actually listen to rubbish like that when they're depressed/upset, so be careful with what you say.
    Yes, and they will merely be doing the advancement of the Race and the Race itself an excellent favour. We have enough bodies on Earth already and if some are silly enough to leave existence willingly, then so be it. They will be merely fulfilling their (that's right, their own, not general evolutionary obligations) evolutionary obligations to leave existence as they are more a liability than a benefit.

Be a Homo Sapiens or be nothing at all.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    She's much richer than all of the fools who think her ugly. Whilst they're busy living their poor silly lives, she's making cash off of other silly, mindless fools.

Ugly? I don't think she cares. She's very much in demand.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tres bien~.

There are no problems in nature, nature is just what it is.

Any problem that exists to you isn't really real, it exists because your mind says it does - it exists because you think you think there is something wrong with the world, that you or some other entity deserves something or something akin to that.

So you just have to realise that you nor anyone doesn't really and never did deserve anything, and that there never really was a problem in the first place.

Experiences, what you feel and observe on the other hand are real. Reality is fake, humans are fake, but what you feel and experience is real. Those fleeting encounters and mellow partings and all those failures and successes all add up, what you felt at during those time were real. They collectively make up and define your existence.

That doesn't necessarily mean that life is all rainbows and butterflys but it's a bit foolish to conclude that reality and existence itself is worthless and boring when you haven't really lived at all, having probably only lived in your middle class bubble where you exist under the rules and limits forced upon you by your parents and society.

At least that's what chapter 27 of Mahoraba, I'm not ashamed to say, taught me.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/30870/m..._hiyoko-no-gao

Also, my mother always used to say: 'Bitter old people who think they know it all should all just kill themselves, and let the young have their fun.'

Maybe you should do the same.
    Jiddu Krishnamurty said that too. But he was viiile. I mean, the way in which he conducted his personal life. But yeah, if op is interested in this, should look into the various branches of mysticism, vipassana, various branches of buddhism, anthropological philosophy/phenomenology, primitivism, umm..

thing is, there is no undoing our evolved consciousness. We are homo sapiens and so unless we have very low IQ or are mentally disabled in some way, we will.. philosophise, solipsise (I just made that word up), angst out. Those don't who usually either have rigid structures in their lives (family, religion.. culture) or direct all the "human condition" into art or use substances or whatever to dull it or live sheltered/secluded lives or have their purpose self-defined or defined for them early in life (mozart, tiger woods) or have decided that life is too short to be wasted either way (eg James Franco). << don't take what I said pejoratively. And some just know how to live in the present very well.

OP can maybe read about consciousness in his/her's spare time.. take it up as an interest.. and before you know it, 20 years would pass on.. then 50 .. then.. lol

I recommend Karl Popper's "All life is problems solving" and Alice in Wonderland
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone ends up the same way, and we all end up in the same pathetically confined lives. Why the **** is there any point?
    since the first life, every single one of your ancestors survived, successfully looked after and passed on to you life.

we are all made of stars.

• 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    The internet, Sir, is never a good place to seek advice. If you post a thread such as this, you are bound to receive harsh and cold replies such as the one in which you quote and even my very own.

As regards your suicidal mindset. The onus is ultimately on you. A word of warning however, if you plan to do it. Plan well. Do not at all F it up, because you could indeed muck it up and have a much, much more miserable existence than the one in which you think you have now (e.g. with tubes stuck in you for your entire life/paralyzed/in a vegetative state/in lifelong pain etc etc).

Now, before you even think of doing it, another word. This time not a word of warning, but a word of challenge. You do realise that if you do leave existence (I use soft terms here), you will be losing. It would mean that you are of no use to yourself and Humanity and that your exit is part of the evolution of the Race. Do you want to be weak? Do you want to lose? Why not try to fight? Having gotten so far towards the edge, do you not feel liberated? Now, you can really become anything you want because what do you have to lose after having come so near the edge?

Ultimately, it's your call. This post may be too late, but who knows. And if you're going to do it, go out with a bang. I want to see you on the news.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's why I'm studying CS so I can create a machine that can live on after I'm gone and continue what i haven't been able to do, anyone want to help me
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh it's not like I have anything better to do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    improve one's looks or don't give a toss? Ugly and hopeless-suicidal are not mutually inclusive! I don't think people had this problem before the invention of mirrors? lol

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.