Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting Organized as a Student Teacher

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will be going to study Primary Education in September and I am aware I will spend a lot of time on placement.

I wondered if anyone doing Primary Education currently could share any resources they have found useful, or could give me some tips on how to organize myself!

(I know this may seem early to be getting organized but I like being really organized )

Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

First of all good luck for September and it sounds like you're making a great start by trying to get ahead early in the year! I'm a secondary school teacher, so don't have specific tips for primary resources, but a few general nuggets of advice that helped me:

-Make sure you do as many 'practical' things before you start e.g. if you have a car sorting out insurance, MOT etc, basically anything which will relieve stress later in the year.
    -Don't always feel like you have to reinvent the wheel - I think the feeling of almost every trainee teacher is that it's wrong to use someone else's resources, but looking at other ideas simply helps develop your own. And you can pay back into this system by uploading your own resources in return.
    -Buy folders - lots of them!
    -Have one central place where you keep track of what needs done, whether that be a large diary or planner, or a to-do app on your phone.

I'm sure I'll think of some more, but most of all enjoy it! Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kf289)
    Hello!

First of all good luck for September and it sounds like you're making a great start by trying to get ahead early in the year! I'm a secondary school teacher, so don't have specific tips for primary resources, but a few general nuggets of advice that helped me:

-Make sure you do as many 'practical' things before you start e.g. if you have a car sorting out insurance, MOT etc, basically anything which will relieve stress later in the year.
    -Don't always feel like you have to reinvent the wheel - I think the feeling of almost every trainee teacher is that it's wrong to use someone else's resources, but looking at other ideas simply helps develop your own. And you can pay back into this system by uploading your own resources in return.
    -Buy folders - lots of them!
    -Have one central place where you keep track of what needs done, whether that be a large diary or planner, or a to-do app on your phone.

I'm sure I'll think of some more, but most of all enjoy it! Good luck!
    Excellent thank you! I already live by my diary, but I think I will be ready for a new one by then because this one is getting quite tatty!

I'm already looking at teacher's blogs and finding some amazing resources! I can't wait to learn when it will be appropriate to use them!

So excited!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Being organised will be the main thing you'll need to do so it sounds like you're off to a good start. I'm annoyingly disorganised with my personal life a lot of the time but I'm doing Primary Ed at the moment and being extremely organised for that is the only thing keeping me sane!

I'm probably a bit irritating for some people on my course because I've always done the set work for both our module requirements and placements weeks in advance but it makes your life much easier! It's tempting to see everyone else procrastinating and think "We've got ages for that....I'll do it later!" but it takes the stress out of a very heavy course if you do things early on.

In terms of resources I find that having a printer and laminator at the ready is really useful. It means I can get creative and do things like make my own phonics games or Maths resources and then once I have them I can keep them for my own future classes. In fact, being open to making your own resources (even if you don't think art is your strongest suit!) is one of the best ways to end up with great ones!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Laminator , printer, diary/organiser, paper trimmer, post-it notes. What else do we need as a trainee teacher to be more organised?

Can anyone please tell me some websites where I can get useful tips on resources for PGCE Primary? I would like to make my own resources but it's always good to get some ideas from others too...

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose.151786)
    Hi there,

Laminator , printer, diary/organiser, paper trimmer, post-it notes. What else do we need as a trainee teacher to be more organised?

Can anyone please tell me some websites where I can get useful tips on resources for PGCE Primary? I would like to make my own resources but it's always good to get some ideas from others too...

Thank you in advance.

www.primaryresources.co.uk
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle4)
    Being organised will be the main thing you'll need to do so it sounds like you're off to a good start. I'm annoyingly disorganised with my personal life a lot of the time but I'm doing Primary Ed at the moment and being extremely organised for that is the only thing keeping me sane!

I'm probably a bit irritating for some people on my course because I've always done the set work for both our module requirements and placements weeks in advance but it makes your life much easier! It's tempting to see everyone else procrastinating and think "We've got ages for that....I'll do it later!" but it takes the stress out of a very heavy course if you do things early on.

In terms of resources I find that having a printer and laminator at the ready is really useful. It means I can get creative and do things like make my own phonics games or Maths resources and then once I have them I can keep them for my own future classes. In fact, being open to making your own resources (even if you don't think art is your strongest suit!) is one of the best ways to end up with great ones!
    Excellent! I'm quite looking forward to making my own resources! I can't wait to find out what sort of resources I will need so I can get started! Are there any common ones I could perhaps make in advance?

Thank you for your reply!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose.151786)
    Hi there,

Thank you in advance.
    Thank you! Do you know where I could get a cheap laminator? But preferably one which will last quite a while and is of good quality?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Im starting PGCE Primary in sept and this thread is really useful! When i found out i got a place i went out and bought a pencil case and a academic diary haha because I wanted to buy something for the course. I'm a bit a head of myself but at least I'm starting to get prepared. I already have folders which i've used before and got rid of the papers that were in there. No point buying new ones if i have perfectly good ones already My dad has a laminator so thats sorted, i have post it notes too. But a paper trimmer, do we really need that??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roardinosaur)
    Excellent! I'm quite looking forward to making my own resources! I can't wait to find out what sort of resources I will need so I can get started! Are there any common ones I could perhaps make in advance?

Thank you for your reply!
    It's a bit hard to say as it will depend on what subjects you find yourself being asked to teach which will depend on the order your university introduces your modules.

A great place to start might simply be collecting children's literature and thinking about activities you might do with different age groups based on those books. We recently made story sacks as part of our course which was really fun and I think I'll find mine really useful.

Try Wilkos for a cheapish laminator. I acquired mine when my parents were having a clear out but it's a great way to make resources look better and last longer. Even for simple things such as a Maths lesson I taught where a small group of children were practicing putting two digit numbers in order having a laminator meant I could print out pictures of caterpillers, laminate them and use them with white board pens so the children could fill in the numbers and move them around. A laminator and printer are definitely worth investing in.

If you think you might be placed with Key Stage 1 classes then making a few phonics games might be worthwhile too? Although, that could be tricky until you've had some input from your uni unless you have a lot of knowledge on the subject.

It sounds like you've got a great attitude and you'll do really well on your course!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit hard to say as it will depend on what subjects you find yourself being asked to teach which will depend on the order your university introduces your modules.

A great place to start might simply be collecting children's literature and thinking about activities you might do with different age groups based on those books. We recently made story sacks as part of our course which was really fun and I think I'll find mine really useful.

Try Wilkos for a cheapish laminator. I acquired mine when my parents were having a clear out but it's a great way to make resources look better and last longer. Even for simple things such as a Maths lesson I taught where a small group of children were practicing putting two digit numbers in order having a laminator meant I could print out pictures of caterpillers, laminate them and use them with white board pens so the children could fill in the numbers and move them around. A laminator and printer are definitely worth investing in.

If you think you might be placed with Key Stage 1 classes then making a few phonics games might be worthwhile too? Although, that could be tricky until you've had some input from your uni unless you have a lot of knowledge on the subject.

It sounds like you've got a great attitude and you'll do really well on your course!
    Aw thank you! I hope I do well

I already have a story sack based on the Hungry Catterpillar! I needed one for a uni interview! It was fun to collect the bits for it I swear I'll only enjoy this job because I'm a big kid myself haha

I am interested in Key Stage 1 most of all so I'll do some research see if I can come up with anything.

I'll check out Wilkos then for a laminator! Thanks for the idea, wouldn't have thought of there.

I already have a printer at home but I could use a little one to take to uni with me I suppose.

Thanks for all your help!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineapple86)
    Im starting PGCE Primary in sept and this thread is really useful! When i found out i got a place i went out and bought a pencil case and a academic diary haha because I wanted to buy something for the course. I'm a bit a head of myself but at least I'm starting to get prepared. I already have folders which i've used before and got rid of the papers that were in there. No point buying new ones if i have perfectly good ones already My dad has a laminator so thats sorted, i have post it notes too. But a paper trimmer, do we really need that??
    Hello

I had a thought the other day, STICKERS! I suppose it would depend on what age group you are teaching, but if like me you will be doing the younger ages, stickers won't go amiss when it comes to rewarding kids on placement. There are loads on Amazon and are quite cheap. I had a look in a local craft store and in comparison they are a lot cheaper online and you seem to get more too!

I'm not sure about a paper trimmer myself... I suppose it would be handy but I've used them before and ended up doing it all wrong haha. I prefer scissors but one would probably be handy for cutting work sheets out etc.. I suppose it would all depend on what the course will including doing and what we will be teaching. Hard to say at this point.

Perhaps eye up some cheap ones so you know where to go if you need one in a hurry?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aw thank you! I hope I do well

I already have a story sack based on the Hungry Catterpillar! I needed one for a uni interview! It was fun to collect the bits for it I swear I'll only enjoy this job because I'm a big kid myself haha

I am interested in Key Stage 1 most of all so I'll do some research see if I can come up with anything.

I'll check out Wilkos then for a laminator! Thanks for the idea, wouldn't have thought of there.

I already have a printer at home but I could use a little one to take to uni with me I suppose.

Thanks for all your help!
    You're welcome! I think the big kid in us is what makes us good at what we do!
    You mention you're thinking about stickers - try Primary Teaching Services (PTS). They have a great catalogue of stickers and certifcates with pretty good deals. Also, if you google their website and then email them to request a catalogue they usually put some freebie 'samples' in for you!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I had a thought the other day, STICKERS! I suppose it would depend on what age group you are teaching, but if like me you will be doing the younger ages, stickers won't go amiss when it comes to rewarding kids on placement. There are loads on Amazon and are quite cheap. I had a look in a local craft store and in comparison they are a lot cheaper online and you seem to get more too!

I'm not sure about a paper trimmer myself... I suppose it would be handy but I've used them before and ended up doing it all wrong haha. I prefer scissors but one would probably be handy for cutting work sheets out etc.. I suppose it would all depend on what the course will including doing and what we will be teaching. Hard to say at this point.

Perhaps eye up some cheap ones so you know where to go if you need one in a hurry?

Paper trimmer/guillotine is probably not an 'essential' but again, after acquiring one my parents were getting rid of I have to say I've found mine really useful. I use it a lot to make games and things like that for placement.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You mention you're thinking about stickers - try Primary Teaching Services (PTS). They have a great catalogue of stickers and certifcates with pretty good deals. Also, if you google their website and then email them to request a catalogue they usually put some freebie 'samples' in for you!
    Oh wow I'll make a note of that! Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just had a quick look on that PTS website.. there are so many stickers I remember from my childhood! WOW!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're great aren't they? I love them!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello

True i could just eye one up for now. I dont want to go spending if i dont need to. I keep seeing lovely stickers around and think 'that would be good for when i teach' but then i'm like what if the school have their own rules etc. I just dont know what to expect lol. Im glad i have somewhere to talk about all this cos im excited. I asked to be put into lower primary so stickers etc would be useful. I bought a stapler today cos i liked the colour and it will be useful. Someone please stop me buying these things haha

Im off to take a look at them now! I love stickers, i think we all must be kids at heart if we enjoy these things too lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wow that website looks ace!! I've bookmarked it for future reference so i know where i can get my stickers from Im going to the uni on thurs to sort the crb and document stuff out so i might ask them then when we are going to get info about our course
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow that website looks ace!! I've bookmarked it for future reference so i know where i can get my stickers from Im going to the uni on thurs to sort the crb and document stuff out so i might ask them then when we are going to get info about our course
    Cool what uni are you going to?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 11, 2012
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.