Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I report this to the Police?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A couple of hours ago I was walking back from Tesco with my shopping and as I was walking down a small cul-de-sac and about to turn into my accommodation a man came out of his house, opened the boot of his car and removed a large grey sack and took it into his house.

The sack was made out of a material that looked kind of like duct tape if that helps you picture it, and it had bits of black print on it, although I wasn't close enough for long enough to see for sure what the print consisted of.

However, I instinctively thought it said Royal Mail on it and this is what is worrying me. My Dad worked for Royal Mail about 15-20 years ago and I'm pretty sure he once told me that all mail belongs to the Queen until it is delivered and therefore taking it from a post box is a serious crime - or something like that.

And there is one final detail which I am loth to include but feel I must. The man was Asian and was wearing what I can only assume to be some form of religious dress - a long white kind of top, white trousers underneath and a white hat type thing.

Should I report this to the police?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    was the material like this?

If so they are fairly common, i use them all the time when sending bigger items. The police won't do anything, call them by all means but it's doubtful they will even take note of it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    was the material like this?

If so they are fairly common, i use them all the time when sending bigger items. The police won't do anything, call them by all means but it's doubtful they will even take note of it.
    No, it looked more like this, but bigger and with black print on like I said:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grey sack.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	146954
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any more advice/opinions?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd try and find out whats in the bag and if its anything illegal then report it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't raise suspicion, contact the police
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    I'd try and find out whats in the bag and if its anything illegal then report it
    How am I supposed to go about finding out, he took it into his house?

And if it is something illegal he's hardly going to invite me in for tea is he?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    contact crimestoppers. That way if something does arise then they know they will need to appeal to a primary witness. and you don't need to leave information/look like a douche
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenocide)
    A couple of hours ago I was walking back from Tesco with my shopping and as I was walking down a small cul-de-sac and about to turn into my accommodation a man came out of his house, opened the boot of his car and removed a large grey sack and took it into his house.

The sack was made out of a material that looked kind of like duct tape if that helps you picture it, and it had bits of black print on it, although I wasn't close enough for long enough to see for sure what the print consisted of.

However, I instinctively thought it said Royal Mail on it and this is what is worrying me. My Dad worked for Royal Mail about 15-20 years ago and I'm pretty sure he once told me that all mail belongs to the Queen until it is delivered and therefore taking it from a post box is a serious crime - or something like that.

And there is one final detail which I am loth to include but feel I must. The man was Asian and was wearing what I can only assume to be some form of religious dress - a long white kind of top, white trousers underneath and a white hat type thing.

Should I report this to the police?
    Definitely...a man wearing a cultural dress with a sack is a raise for concern :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just grass him up. If it was nothing serious then no worries, but you may be stopping something really bad- which you should be proud of. He sounds untrustworthy judging from your description
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't ring the police because gahsafsgiasbfjk it's not got royal mail letters if that's what you're suggesting
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could just be a muslim man carrying a sack or rice or something?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa-claus.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	146971

Sack and strange dress, this guy?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    :teehee: Love this thread.

Maybe he picked up a sack of spuds, you know, the cheap ones sold on the side of the road. Or maybe he brought a sack of spuds off eBay.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK just to clear a few things up:

- The sack was about 5ft tall and full. It looked like a sack full of mail looks (I have seen our local postie back home emptying our local postbox).
    - It wasn't a kind of everyday-use sack. If you type 'Royal Mail sack' into Google images you will see several images matching my description.
    - It's a serious issue. If I am right and the guy has stolen Royal Mail he has committed treason.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

Yeah right

3/10
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK just to clear a few things up:

- The sack was about 5ft tall and full. It looked like a sack full of mail looks (I have seen our local postie back home emptying our local postbox).
    - It wasn't a kind of everyday-use sack. If you type 'Royal Mail sack' into Google images you will see several images matching my description.
    - It's a serious issue. If I am right and the guy has stolen Royal Mail he has committed treason.
    You already seem to have convinced yourself that it's a bag full of mail.

In reality, it could be a sack full of anything.

Also, how on earth was what he was wearing relevant?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    Also, how on earth was what he was wearing relevant?
    Clearly with the pressure being put on these Gangs of young men grooming teenage girls, some bad apples in the Asian community have taken it a step further...possibly interfering with her majesties mail system! :eek:

OP tbh it was probably a huge sack of rice. Seriously you can buy 20-50kg sacks of rice, some are massive.

I mean if you're really concerned, what I'd do is note down the date and rough time you saw this occur, guys licence plate and address, description of the bag. Just keep the information with you, if he's arrested for anything, you may have information which is helpful. I mean if you really want you could tell crimestoppers, but you really don't know what's in the sack and the odds of it being stolen mail, an illegal substance or a dead body is...rather slim.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.