Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I report this to the Police?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be pretty pointless calling the police as you'll most likely just waste their time as I really doubt just saying you saw a man with a sack, which may or may not have had royal mail on it, be enough evidence or reason for them to go and check it out.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    Yeah right

3/10
    My understanding is this: all mail once it is placed in an official Royal Mail post box becomes the property of Her Majesty the Queen whilst it is in transit - that is why stamps bare an image of the Queen, and while it is called 'The Royal Mail' in the first place. And until it is received and opened my the Recipient that it is addressed to, that mail belongs to the Queen and no one else.

And even if I'm wrong about that, it is an offence to open mail that isn't addressed to you and, more generally, to interfere with mail:

"The Postal Services Act 2000 sections 83 and 84, see Stones 8 - 24243 and 8 - 24244, create offences of interfering with mail. Section 83 is aimed at persons engaged in the business of a postal operator and creates an either way offence. Section 84 covers any person and creates a summary only imprisonable offence. Both sections cover intentional delaying or opening of a postal packet and intentional opening of a mail bag." - http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/c...ions_offences/
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok so your logic:

Sack ---->Man with a long white 'top' with 'trousers underneath' and a 'hat', with said sack ----> Muslim----> some form of criminal activities.

Good work, Sherlock.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    jesus, can a guy not even carry a grey sack anymore?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother, it was probably just a bag of rice or something.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenocide)
    My understanding is this: all mail once it is placed in an official Royal Mail post box becomes the property of Her Majesty the Queen whilst it is in transit - that is why stamps bare an image of the Queen, and while it is called 'The Royal Mail' in the first place. And until it is received and opened my the Recipient that it is addressed to, that mail belongs to the Queen and no one else.

And even if I'm wrong about that, it is an offence to open mail that isn't addressed to you and, more generally, to interfere with mail:

"The Postal Services Act 2000 sections 83 and 84, see Stones 8 - 24243 and 8 - 24244, create offences of interfering with mail. Section 83 is aimed at persons engaged in the business of a postal operator and creates an either way offence. Section 84 covers any person and creates a summary only imprisonable offence. Both sections cover intentional delaying or opening of a postal packet and intentional opening of a mail bag." - http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/c...ions_offences/
    What happens when the stamp doesn't have a picture of the Queen on? Does it belong to whatever is on the stamp?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Think you should really mind your own business and stop wasting police time.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh good lord...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL just LOL

The bag description and belonging to the queen was funny but when you started describing his appearance you took it to another level.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Surely OP is trolling? If not, then WTF.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    a long white kind of top, white trousers underneath and a white hat type thing.

Should I report this to the police?
    Sounds to me like he was dressed like a member of the KKK!

And, to answer your question, no you shouldn't report him to the police, because there's no evidence whatsoever of him committing any offence
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    :dots:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP, those Royal Mail sacks are given out to businesses every day. The business fills them with mail and then Royal Mail come and collect them to post, and drop off some replacement sacks.

I know this because I used to have a job franking the mail in a car showroom, filling the empty bags with mail and then collecting the fresh ones from Royal Mail when they came to collect.

The 'suspicious' man probably had either a bunch of empty Royal Mail sacks, or even (shock horror) a bag full of his own business mail
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, it looked more like this, but bigger and with black print on like I said:
    Attachment 146954
    Looool

I haven't lived in the UK for years but I know what this it. Bags like this are pretty common in Asian communities and such (ever been in a middle eastern airport?). It could have anything it it from laundry to food.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    LOL just LOL

The bag description and belonging to the queen was funny but when you started describing his appearance you took it to another level.
    I agree, before the description of the man, it seemed innocent but now it has racist undertones.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP needs to get a hobby.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If it's stopping you from sleeping then just report it to Crimestoppers; it's free and anonymous.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just f.cking find out what was in it at least, I'm dying to know.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    being a postman myself, it may be a royal mail sack, but it may not have mail or packets inside it.. does the guy work for the company?
    • 150 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry, it's probably just a dead body or something.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.