Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can a religious person judge somebody else?

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justmyopinions)
    Christianity says love your neighbour
    But also athiests judge theists every day :/
    Jesus loves every man and every woman. Bible was written by humans, and during a time when homophobia was rife. Jesus loves everyone equally and as log as you believe that and that Jesus is God then you're a Christian
    So yeah I believe homosexuality is natural (of course it's a chemical imbalance, but it can't be helped) and perfectly acceptable.
    An horrific thing to hear in a Mexican prison.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a hypocritical thread, as everyone judges others, religious or atheist. You just can't help how you think about someone. You have your own standards, morals etc. And you will always use it as a basis to compare others with.

End of the day, you know what is wrong, if you see someone else do that wrong, then you will always attribute it to them. The only exception is if you're not sure of what you consider wrong, so you simply conclude that either you may be right or they may be right and simply take a neutral stance (which most people will not do, unless they are really confused about all their beliefs).

(Original post by Harolinho)
    the Qu'ran that tells you to cut off somebodies hand if they be takin' yo ****.
    Nothing wrong with this, pretty amazing rule, especially when you see the effects.

Also there's quite a few restrictions to take into consideration;

a- the punishment will not be applied if there is any doubt as to the guilt of the suspect
    b- the punishment will not be applied if the value of the stolen goods is below something of great value -> determined by ‘urf [customs of society]
    c- the punishment will not be applied if the thief stole out of need/poverty
    d- the punishment will not be applied if the goods weren’t in proper storage (al-hirz) -> also determined by ‘urf (customs of society)
    e- the punishment will not be applied if the thief returns the goods and seeks forgiveness of the victim of the theft, before the case enters the judicial system
    f- the punishment will not be applied if the culprit is not a sane adult and the crime was not committed under duress
    g- the punishment will not be applied if the goods were not legally owned
    h- the punishment will not be applied if it is a child stealing from parents or parents stealing from children or one spouse from another according to the opinion of all jurists except Imam Malik.
    i- the punishment will not be applied if the person is permitted to enter the place from where he stole because in such a case there is no proper custody (al-hirz)
    j- according to Imam Abu Hanifa the punishment is not applied to the non-muslim living in the muslim state, however Imam Shafi’, Imam Malik and Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal have said that it is.

- There's other restrictions aswell (ie. If the victim didn't ask for his goods back from the thief before it went into a case, then the hadd punishment cannot be given), but too long to list.

Also the punishment can only be applied by the Government, not some randomer who chases a man and tries to cut his hands of.

Also should look at the rate of theft in Saudi and do a comparisons, the hand-cutting penalty has some pretty impressive implications on society. For example, people can leave their shops to go to prayer, without the worry someone is going to come and steal anything.

The end moral being, don't steal.

(Original post by .eXe)
    Good question.

We aren't supposed to. In my case, Christianity teaches us to love all, not judge them. Only God can judge as he is the creator. We are all created beings, who are we to judge each other. Those who judge based on their beliefs/religious affiliations (especially some Christians) are just an embarrassment to my faith. They are supposed to show others the right path, instead of making moral judgements on their actions. Unfortunately, most do not see it this way
    Is this a moral judgement in accordance to Christianity?

(Original post by .eXe)
    18 months is nothing, this bitch should be euthanized
    :rolleyes:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    ~
    I've already responded to that very question earlier. Yes it may seem novel to you, but Christians aren't automatons. We are humans too and we are allowed to have emotional reactions. You do know that all Christians believe they are sinners right?

God doesn't expect us to be perfect. I sin all the time. What have you proved..?

I guess you must be perfect then...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Yes lots of so called Christians have done lots of terrible things. Your point?

If you really want to learn about Christianity go read the Bible. A religion cannot be interpreted by its social impacts because against all these negative things you have stated, I can state equal, if not greater positive things. Additionally, social impacts are caused by actions of humans...what exactly does that have to do with God?

Find me a line in the Bible that says: "and thou shalt burn the witches" and I will concede. Until you can do that, dont blame Christianity.
    I am a Relatively devout Catholic in that I go to chapel every weekend and believe in God and much of the doctrine so I dare say I don't have much learning about christianity to do. My point was that just because a person (you I believe) said that someone that beat their baby should be severely punished doesn't make that person a bad Christian
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    An horrific thing to hear in a Mexican prison.
    Hhahahaha yeah :L although it would probably be rape situations in prison...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    No lol that's not true...I work on every sunday as do my parents and the priests at my church...in fact their main work day is the sunday

And again, I'll reiterate...we aren't free to judge others. I think you are using the word "judge" a little too loosely here. We are certainly entitled to pass opinions on others, even if we are Christians. However, we aren't supposed to judge them (in that we are not supposed to actively punish them for their wrong).
    Many Christians have told me I'm going to hell- how is that not judgement? They've decided where I'm spending eternity!

As for Sunday, you are probably in the minority on that. Many Christians are very touchy about doing any form of work on a Sunday, in Scotland there's even places where it is still outlawed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polka Dot)

You raise the point judge not lest you be judged throughout your response so to save me responding more than once I will make my point here.
    You don't seem to understand what jesus was talking about when he told us not Judge others.

So let me clear it up. When Jesus said

“Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." Matthew 7:1-5

he was condemning hypocritical, self-righteous judgments of others. He didn't mean that if you see something wrong you should keep silent.

In Matthew 18:15 Jesus actually encourages christians to point out to one another when they sin.

"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."

The same is said in the book of james 5:19

Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and y cover a multitude of sins.

Ephesians 4:15 tells us to "speak the truth in Love" and again in 2Timothy 4:2 says to "rebuke and exhort with patience"

So you can see the bible does tell us to "judge" sin but only with the goal of presenting the consequnces and the solution which is Jesus Christ.
    This is an answer I gave to this question elswhere. And as you can see the Bible is not telling us not to judge but is telling us not to be hypocrites.

Also dont you realize that when you say "judging someone is wrong" you are actually judging those who you claim to be judging you?

Those of you who disagree with me need to actually think for a second. Do you really believe that we shouldn't tell murderers what they did was wrong? Should we just ignore evil because we "dont want to be judgemental"? The bible certainly doesn't say that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.