Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Course for Investment Banking

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have firmed my choice at University of Manchester for Management (N201)
    I am looking to work in finance after graduation. So I would like to know whether Management is the best course choice for Investment Banking. Or should I study Economics and Finance, or Accounting and Finance instead.
    Thanks for your help.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see that you have an offer from Warwick, for Economics no less. If you want to get into Bulge Bracket Investment Banks, such as Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley, you might want to firm Warwick instead of Manchester. Warwick is a lot more highly regarded, especially for economics, it's also one of the six target schools that investments banks tend to recruit from.
    If I were you, I would contact UCAS to see if you could change your decision.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sazzabazza)
    I see that you have an offer from Warwick, for Economics no less. If you want to get into Bulge Bracket Investment Banks, such as Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley, you might want to firm Warwick instead of Manchester. Warwick is a lot more highly regarded, especially for economics, it's also one of the six target schools that investments banks tend to recruit from.
    If I were you, I would contact UCAS to see if you could change your decision.
    I was thinking the same too.
    However, I made the decision to go to Manchester based on other factors other than employers preferences. Such as the student life in the city, as well as having many friends already in the city
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gold.s19)
    I was thinking the same too.
    However, I made the decision to go to Manchester based on other factors other than employers preferences. Such as the student life in the city, as well as having many friends already in the city
    Then you chose intangible benefits over future employability
    If you want the best change of working in IB, Warwick Econ is definitely the one to go for.

That being said, you may go to Warwick, work hard and not get into IB. Nothing is a guarantee!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    You rejected Warwick for Manchester? That seriously reduces IB employment prospects to be honest.

To the question - Economics is the best option.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    You rejected Warwick for Manchester? That seriously reduces IB employment prospects to be honest.
    I understand that. But choice has been made, and I would prefer to do the best with the choice I made which is Manchester.
    Though it is the course at Manchester that is my current concern towards IB.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I understand that. But choice has been made, and I would prefer to do the best with the choice I made which is Manchester.
    Though it is the course at Manchester that is my current concern towards IB.
    I'm a Business & Management student myself (Aston). I've had no problem getting into finance (big 4) with that degree, but if IB is your goal you probably would be better off doing Economics judging by what people say on here. That said I don't know a lot about IB, but from what people have said if you want front office then you'd be better off biting the bullet and going to Warwick. If you're firm with Manchester then you might be best to choose the degree course that you're going to be most interested in as you're chances of IB are pretty limited regardless of what you choose.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    I'm a Business & Management student myself (Aston). I've had no problem getting into finance (big 4) with that degree, but if IB is your goal you probably would be better off doing Economics judging by what people say on here. That said I don't know a lot about IB, but from what people have said if you want front office then you'd be better off biting the bullet and going to Warwick. If you're firm with Manchester then you might be best to choose the degree course that you're going to be most interested in as you're chances of IB are pretty limited regardless of what you choose.
    I am considering calling UCAS and change my decisions and make Warwick my firm choice. I guess 3 years at Warwick, even if it isn't all fun, might be worth it if I could avoid unemployment or low paid jobs.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am considering calling UCAS and change my decisions and make Warwick my firm choice. I guess 3 years at Warwick, even if it isn't all fun, might be worth it if I could avoid unemployment or low paid jobs.
    Hmm, I'm not sure that was the message I was trying to portray. Let me clarify

If your life goal is to get into IB, then go to Warwick. However realistically, regardless of going to Warwick your chance of a position in IB is pretty slim (not a reflection on you, it's just competitive). Do you actually know what the role would entail? Are you prepared to get summer internships at IB's for the next few years? Don't make this major decision based on a hunch that IB might be for you, because if you don't have a serious and genuine interest in it then you're never going to get there. However if you do know that IB is for you, then Warwick is your best shot.

If you do decide to stay with Manchester, they you will still end up with a very useful / respectable degree from a top institution. There is no reason why this would lead to unemployment or low paid positions. It's less likely to get you into IB, but for most jobs it will make no difference whether you went to Warwick or Manchester. Employers will be far more interested in what you have to offer as an individual then the difference between Warwick and Manchester. I believe I'm proof of that myself, having got offers from lots of top grad schemes this year coming from Aston (which is ranked lower then either of the above).

SO to conclude - If 100% IB (and you know what you're getting yourself in to) then Warwick.
    If not entirely sure, just know you want to make good money and work in finance - choose whichever uni/course you are going to enjoy (sounds like Manchester). Remember you can always work your way into IB later if you want to, I hear a fair few do the ACA route at big firms then go into IBs as experience hires for example.

That is my opinion on the matter!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)

If your life goal is to get into IB, then go to Warwick. However realistically, regardless of going to Warwick your chance of a position in IB is pretty slim (not a reflection on you, it's just competitive). Do you actually know what the role would entail? Are you prepared to get summer internships at IB's for the next few years? Don't make this major decision based on a hunch that IB might be for you, because if you don't have a serious and genuine interest in it then you're never going to get there. However if you do know that IB is for you, then Warwick is your best shot.

If you do decide to stay with Manchester, they you will still end up with a very useful / respectable degree from a top institution. There is no reason why this would lead to unemployment or low paid positions. It's less likely to get you into IB, but for most jobs it will make no difference whether you went to Warwick or Manchester. Employers will be far more interested in what you have to offer as an individual then the difference between Warwick and Manchester. I believe I'm proof of that myself, having got offers from lots of top grad schemes this year coming from Aston (which is ranked lower then either of the above).

SO to conclude - If 100% IB (and you know what you're getting yourself in to) then Warwick.
    If not entirely sure, just know you want to make good money and work in finance - choose whichever uni/course you are going to enjoy (sounds like Manchester). Remember you can always work your way into IB later if you want to, I hear a fair few do the ACA route at big firms then go into IBs as experience hires for example.

I didn't exactly mean it, just a bit of exaggeration is all.
    But I do want to make it in Finance and IB. So if going to Warwick improves my chances, then I will go to Warwick. It might be a bigger challenge than Manchester to get into, but it will be more interesting this way.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't exactly mean it, just a bit of exaggeration is all.
    But I do want to make it in Finance and IB. So if going to Warwick improves my chances, then I will go to Warwick. It might be a bigger challenge than Manchester to get into, but it will be more interesting this way.
    Sorry to drag on this point, but define Finance? You won't have any problem getting into most financial positions with a degree from Manchester (like I mentioned, I'm joining one of the Big4 in the city coming from Aston). So if finance is the goal, choose the course you want/like in my opinion.

IB is a specific area which is incredibly competitive. Warwick improves your chances there, no doubt. But you don't need Warwick to go into finance generally speaking. That said, you may consider Warwick the better choice regardless as it is arguably more reputable. I'm only pressing the point because it would appear from your initial posts that you might actually prefer Manchester.

ANYWAY best of luck with your decision, hope it works out for you wherever you choose!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyyImRyan)
    Then you chose intangible benefits over future employability
    If you want the best change of working in IB, Warwick Econ is definitely the one to go for.

That being said, you may go to Warwick, work hard and not get into IB. Nothing is a guarantee!
    To be fair, some people have a life. Or at least want to have one. Especially if they are willing to sign up to not having a life after uni.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    To be fair, some people have a life. Or at least want to have one. Especially if they are willing to sign up to not having a life after uni.
    Totally agree, that's why I highlighted that he's chosen intangible benefits - I didn't discourage it or discredit it, just stated it.

That's why I also mentioned he could work hard at Warwick and still not get in, suggesting that maybe Manchester was the option to take unless he was 100% set on getting in to IB
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyyImRyan)
    Totally agree, that's why I highlighted that he's chosen intangible benefits - I didn't discourage it or discredit it, just stated it.

That's why I also mentioned he could work hard at Warwick and still not get in, suggesting that maybe Manchester was the option to take unless he was 100% set on getting in to IB
    Ah fair enough, interpreted it different. My bad.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you at least go apply for econ at Manc?

Considering you got an offer from Warwick econ, i assume you have a fair few A*'s at GCSE and a nice set of A level predictions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uxa595)
    Why didn't you at least go apply for econ at Manc?

Considering you got an offer from Warwick econ, i assume you have a fair few A*'s at GCSE and a nice set of A level predictions.
    I had an understanding that Management @Manchester Business School was a better course than Economics at their Social Sciences school. Thus the reason for choosing Management at Manchester.
    And I actually don't have that great IGCSE, with only one A*, and predicted AAAa at A levels, was actually surprised to see a Warwick offer after being rejected from UCL who required the same grades, while they wanted A* in Maths instead. I can strive for an A* in Economics in June.
    I really want to do IB though, so I'll try to get in IB later and doing what I can now. If it doesn't work out, I will then look somewhere else in the finance sector.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Economics at Warwick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anything at Manchester.

Social life over future employability? Warwick's 1 hour away from London fyi.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)

I am sorry but what is the meaning of Aston? I am only familiar with Aston MARTIN*
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmqib)
    I am sorry but what is the meaning of Aston? I am only familiar with Aston MARTIN*
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. I'd give you rep but have already before.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmqib)
    (Original post by SonnyZH)
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. I'd give you rep but have already before.
    I don't get it. Is this supposed to be funny? Explain.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.