The Student Room Group

Imperial vs. Cambridge for Computer Science.

Or 'Computing' as Imperial calls it.

I want to study Computer Science at university. Cambridge and Imperial are my top two choices. I have 10 A*s at GCSE (if that even means anything... I believe it shows I have a good 'track record' of performance but that's about it), I am in Year 12, with AS examinations in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English Literature, and Critical Thinking which start next week. Interpret these facts in terms of my potential as a candidate as you wish. I myself am unsure whether I would have a hope of getting into Cambridge, but I am likely decent enough to have at least a small chance of getting into Imperial.

Here are my thoughts about the two universities.

- Cambridge is more prestigious and supposedly has a better quality Computer Science course (though as far as I know, Imperial's is near the top). So it wins out in this respect. Some may consider this the most important aspect of choosing a university... If I am lucky enough to receive and fulfill an offer from both Cambridge and Imperial, should I base my decision of which university I will attend solely on the difference in academic prestige? Am I making an enormous mistake by greatly preferring Imperial and being willing to choose it over Cambridge in this hypothetical situation?

- I have lived in London my whole life but I haven't got a chance to experience the city centre very much, which is very unfortunate. Imperial is literally the most ideal location for me. I am not taking money issues into account - things are quite stable in terms of this at the moment. Conversely, from what I have heard of Cambridge, the surroundings seem remote, quaint, and on the whole rather boring - especially in comparison to London.

- I would be balancing the famously skewed 'gender ratio' that I hear is present in Computing at Imperial, or at Imperial in general. Perhaps my gender may even increase my chances. I have no idea. I am totally comfortable with the imbalance, in any case. In fact, I think I'd even prefer it.

tl;dr

Which one should I choose in the situation that I get into both?

Also, any personal opinions or experiences that may be relevant in terms of life at Cambridge, Imperial or about the Computer Science course in general are welcomed. :smile:
Reply 1
If you are into bigger cities and academic prestige then why not go for Oxford. Ok, it's not on the same level as central London- but you shouldn't find studying in Oxford anything like living the country life. We've got a few good nightclubs etc.

Also, bear in mind that Imperial won't provide accommodation for 2nd and 3rd years- and rent in London are quite expensive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm not sure how quaint this would be seen as: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9250658/Drunken-Cambridge-students-cause-havoc-in-public-park.html

Whether it's boring or not obviously depends on your definition of fun.
Reply 3
Original post by Blutooth
rent in London are quite expensive.

I have stated that I'm not taking money into consideration. Thanks, though. I guess I will consider Oxford as well, though I don't think I'm allowed to apply for both. What course are you taking? How is Oxford life in general?

Original post by roh
I'm not sure how quaint this would be seen as: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...blic-park.html

Whether it's boring or not obviously depends on your definition of fun.

You are right. That is definitely not quaint. However, that is also definitely not my idea of fun. I want to go to nightclubs and explore big city streets, not drink myself silly in a public park. My first impression from this article is that the students do things like that because there's nothing better to entertain themselves with. :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Crescentise
I have stated that I'm not taking money into consideration. Thanks, though. I guess I will consider Oxford as well, though I don't think I'm allowed to apply for both. What course are you taking? How is Oxford life in general?

You are right. That is definitely not quaint. However, that is also definitely not my idea of fun. I want to go to nightclubs and explore big city streets, not drink myself silly in a public park. My first impression from this article is that the students do things like that because there's nothing better to entertain themselves with. :s-smilie:

I will be studying Computer Science and Philosophy. At Oxford you can choose to study either computer science on its own, or take up up computer science alongside mathematics or with philosophy. I have not formed a complete impression of OXford student life, but from the guys I met at the college when I went up for interview it seemed pretty good.

I mean there are clubs, pubs, theatres, varsity sports matches, oxford union debates with guest speakers like Shakira and Johnny Depp. There is also punting on the river, botanical gardens, cinemas, college bars, sports clubs, summer fairs, museums, art galleries and a major shopping centre. Now you could get all this in London, but you wouldn't get the gothic beauty of the colleges, and all the attractions in London would be sprawled out over a much greater area. However, I must concede, there aren't many many big city streets in Oxford which is only a small city. Why don't you visit the city on an open day- could help you make up your mind?

Having lived in London and gone down to the centre quite a bit, I can say that the packed streets and cramped buildings seem a bit too impersonal and unfriendly. Although Leicester Square seems to always be bright and fun. But I understand, each to their own.

Check this short thread out.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=734161
and this virtual tour of Ox
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/

Also, I suppose if you really ant the London nightlife you could get a train and be at Fabric or any of the other top clubs in about 1-1.5 hours. But nightlife is good at Oxford, or so I hear.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Why don't you visit the city on an open day- could help you make up your mind?

Thank you very much for the information. I have been directed to the June 14th Oxford Computer Science Open Day and am trying to contact a teacher to sign up for me at the moment.
Reply 6
Or 'Computing' as Imperial calls it.

I want to study Computer Science at university. Cambridge and Imperial are my top two choices. I have 10 A*s at GCSE (if that even means anything... I believe it shows I have a good 'track record' of performance but that's about it), I am in Year 12, with AS examinations in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, English Literature, and Critical Thinking which start next week. Interpret these facts in terms of my potential as a candidate as you wish. I myself am unsure whether I would have a hope of getting into Cambridge, but I am likely decent enough to have at least a small chance of getting into Imperial.

Here are my thoughts about the two universities.

- Cambridge is more prestigious and supposedly has a better quality Computer Science course (though as far as I know, Imperial's is near the top). So it wins out in this respect. Some may consider this the most important aspect of choosing a university... If I am lucky enough to receive and fulfill an offer from both Cambridge and Imperial, should I base my decision of which university I will attend solely on the difference in academic prestige? Am I making an enormous mistake by greatly preferring Imperial and being willing to choose it over Cambridge in this hypothetical situation?

- I have lived in London my whole life but I haven't got a chance to experience the city centre very much, which is very unfortunate. Imperial is literally the most ideal location for me. I am not taking money issues into account - things are quite stable in terms of this at the moment. Conversely, from what I have heard of Cambridge, the surroundings seem remote, quaint, and on the whole rather boring - especially in comparison to London.

- I would be balancing the famously skewed 'gender ratio' that I hear is present in Computing at Imperial, or at Imperial in general. Perhaps my gender may even increase my chances. I have no idea. I am totally comfortable with the imbalance, in any case. In fact, I think I'd even prefer it.

tl;dr

Which one should I choose in the situation that I get into both?

Also, any personal opinions or experiences that may be relevant in terms of life at Cambridge, Imperial or about the Computer Science course in general are welcomed. :smile:

As you have live in London, you won't need reminding that Imperial is located in possibly the best, certainly safest and most affluent part of London, if not the UK.

Male to female ratio tends to be a problem for men (as the ratio is 6:3) but as you're a girl, it'll work in your favour!

Cambridge and Imperial are the top two for computing and given your academic background, you should get at least one offer out of the two, so I personally would forget Oxford because:

Cambridge is better than Oxford for CS, though city life is probably less exciting.
Imperial is better than Oxford for city life and as for CS, I would say it's no worse.

Imperial's courses in general are highly theoretical and for CS, require a high standard in maths. Prospects afterwards, be it employment or postgraduate studies is possibly the best at the moment though it would be impossible to say in three to four years time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I'd be wary about Imperial; whilst I was applying I heard quite a few extraordinary things about its CS course (from people I know personally who study there).
Reply 8
Thank you very much for the information. I have been directed to the June 14th Oxford Computer Science Open Day and am trying to contact a teacher to sign up for me at the moment.

Have fun at the open day. The first time I went to Oxford I remember punting with my family down the river and mum getting a ticket for going through a bus lane... Good times. :smile:

Original post by dugdugdug

Cambridge and Imperial are the top two for computing and given your academic background, you should get at least one offer out of the two, so I personally would forget Oxford because:

Cambridge is better than Oxford for CS, though city life is probably less exciting.
Imperial is better than Oxford for city life and as for CS, I would say it's no worse.

"Nahh mate, us Oxons are way better than you Imperials :tongue: " Student loyalty aside, in reality all 3 universities are highly rated, take a rigorous and academic approach to the study of computer science and have strong links to industry. You would be hard-pressed to say which course is better. However, a few points worthy of note:

1) At Oxford we have the tutorial system which guarantees one to one tuition with an expert in the field. Not so sure if Imperial offers the same experience.
2) Class sizes and lecture sizes are smaller in Oxford. It's a 60-70 vs 200 thing lecturewise.
3)Imperial offers a good range of modules, but Oxford's course seems more diverse as you can study computing with maths or philosophy if you are so inclined.
4) The selection process is more competitive at Oxford than at Imperial, with students made to sit Oxford's MAT (the same test used by the maths department) and an academic interview.
5) Cambridge has more of a history of computer science and more compsci undergrads but not much more in its favour beyond that.
6) The average starting salary of Oxford grads was over £31k a few years ago which is comparable to Imperials and Cambridge's grad salaries. So grads seem to be as highly sought after from all 3 unis.

But that is not to detract from the strength of Imperial in computing; clearly I have my own biases as an Oxon. Anyway, I think it would be better for the applicant to find out for herself which course she would prefer by attending open days and reading through the prospectuses.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
5) Cambridge has more of a history of computer science and more compsci undergrads but not much more in its favour beyond that.

Aside from the Silicon Fen? A lot of UK tech, like Microsoft Research, ARM and Qualcomm are based in the area as a result of that history.

OP, there's no reason make a decision on anything at least until you've been to interview at both. For the most part, I'd ignore the academic side and just focus on the atmosphere -- the stifling college culture or Imperial's international/science imbalance... (They have good points, too.)
Reply 10
Original post by mailmerge
Aside from the Silicon Fen? A lot of UK tech, like Microsoft Research, ARM and Qualcomm are based in the area as a result of that history.

"While accurate figures for hi-tech companies are hard to come by, Oxfordshire is estimated to be home to 3,500 hi-tech companies employing 45,000 people, while Cambridgeshire's Silicon Fen reportedly has 1,400 hi-tech companies employing over 40,000 people."
Source:https://www.oxfordtoday.ox.ac.uk/page.aspx?pid=622

There are probably other sources floating around on the net but I cba to research the matter fully, just wanted to see what one google search would dredge up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by f1mad
I'd be wary about Imperial; whilst I was applying I heard quite a few extraordinary things about its CS course (from people I know personally who study there).

Would you mind sharing, please?
Original post by {Unregistered}
Would you mind sharing, please?

Yes, does anyone know more about this?
Reply 13
Original post by Kolasinac138
Yes, does anyone know more about this?

The thread's 2 years old mate...
Original post by TVIO
The thread's 2 years old mate...

:colondollar:

Quick Reply