Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 French difficulty

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    You probably see this question so much on this forum, but I just wanted to check something
    I love french, and languages in general, and as a result I have applied to do french and japanese at uni. Obviously I need A level french for this.
    I am doing AS level french with AQA now, and loving it- the topics are great, and there is so much to talk about in the speaking exam (for me anyway ). I am predicted a B at AS level but my teacher says that a grade A is definately possible.
    All the universities I applied to require at least grade B french to study it at degree level. So assuming I get a grade B at AS level. Will my grade drop at a2 level, considering the 'jump' between' the two? My friends have told me the jump to a2 level is extremely hard, and that your grade may drop at a2 level because of this?

Could anyone tell me about the changes from as to a2 level, in terms of what you need to do/ know in the exam? I didn't find the jump from gcse to as that difficult (although I am doing my french as alongside 3 a2 levels, so I was proably used to the 'jump' already). Could I still get a grade B/ A overall at a2.
    I do study outside of lessons- lestening to radios, essay practice, french films etc.
    Thanks for all answers and I hope I don't sound obnoxious
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The jump to A2 level is barely noticeable, let alone something to struggle with. Different topics- you reuse the vocab, learn lots more- of course you can get an A. If you can get into regular speaking practise for an hour or so a week (look on Gumtree for conversation groups) that'll really help. I did a few hours with my dad's German friend recently because I hated the thought of the aural, thought it wouldn't help much but it was amazing, made loads of difference.

Gosh you don't sound obnoxious in the slightest! :-) humble and hardworking if anything.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course you don't sound obnoxious, it's only natural to worry about things like this/be concerned.

I would say that the jump isn't too big because you build up to being able to tackle the exam throughout the year, they don't suddenly expect you to be able to get full marks on everything at the beginning. That said, there are some new things to tackle. For example, on AQA we have to do translation and study two cultural topics, but your teacher should give you plenty of practice at this so it should be fine.

I would also say that pretty much everyone who does study outside of lessons will do pretty well, so you should be fine.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got a B at AS, with 5 marks of an A, and am predicted an A at A2.
    I haven't really noticed the jump between AS and A2; if anything I've found A2 easier as the content is really engaging and interesting and all the language skills you've developed come together and are built upon further. The topics also compliment a lot of other subjects so there's loads of sources to help you!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.