Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Monarchy Referendum

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    Most of the bills that the house faces are unimportant. Just go into the division lobby and tell me 50% of those bills make any difference.
    I didn't say the referendum is unimportant, I just said I don't view the removal of the monarchy as a priority - or even a positive move. As for bills not making a difference, I imagine we have differing opinions on this, so leave it at that.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacCuishy)
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to co-ordinate but I will definitely help with the NO campaign.
    I won't have time co-ordinate on my own, but i'd be happy to help also.

If nobody else comes up we could have a go as co-coordinators? Do a bit each?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    I won't have time co-ordinate on my own, but i'd be happy to help also.

If nobody else comes up we could have a go as co-coordinators? Do a bit each?
    I'll help with the 'No' (or is it 'yes'? I'm not quite sure... The 'status quo') campaign.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    Nick, could we have temporary sub-forums for the Monarchist and Republican groups so we can co-ordinate our campaigns? I think this is an absolutely amazing opportunity to show off the House, and that means making these campaigns as slick as possible, with high-quality debates and well-presented arguments. That requires a lot of co-ordination, and a sub-forum for each of the two sides would help that amazingly.

Also, I think a formal debate thread would be excellent. Say, the day before the referendum, open a thread, let the Yes side leader type an opening comment, then let the No side leader have a response, then let the Yes side deputy type a response, than the No side deputy type their response, and then one Yes "backbencher" type a conclusion, and one No "backbencher" type a conclusion, then lock the thread. A formally, one post each high quality debate would really impress I think.
    I can ask about sub-forums, though I think it is unlikely and paperclip, I'm afraid forum assistant/sub privileges are even less likely! If there is a need to send out PMs to multiple people, I'm happy to assist.

My concern with the formal debate is that we need to make this as inclusive as possible and that means encouraging everyone from TSR join in the debate. If debate is taking place between only a few people in advance in a thread which then gets locked, it means that some of the arguments will have already been aired and this could take away from the main thread. I want all eyes and focus to be on the referendum thread when it opens and I want HoC members and outsiders alike to debate the issue.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe two threads - 'Monarchy Campaign' and 'Campaign for a Republic' - in the General Discussion area would be the simplest way of encouraging participation from outside the HOC.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I can ask about sub-forums, though I think it is unlikely and paperclip, I'm afraid forum assistant/sub privileges are even less likely! If there is a need to send out PMs to multiple people, I'm happy to assist.

My concern with the formal debate is that we need to make this as inclusive as possible and that means encouraging everyone from TSR join in the debate. If debate is taking place between only a few people in advance in a thread which then gets locked, it means that some of the arguments will have already been aired and this could take away from the main thread. I want all eyes and focus to be on the referendum thread when it opens and I want HoC members and outsiders alike to debate the issue.
    Yeah FA privileges are extremely unlikely. It's been discussed elsewhere on TSR, where there is a demand for this and perhaps even a real need (in the eyes of some) for it and the answer has been no.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Moved off topics posts to The Commons Bar.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've asked for sub-forums, but if we don't get them, we'll have to think of how we can aid communication between the campaign co-ordinators and their supporters.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    As for what will happen afterward, technically nothing initially however we would then decide what model we want to adopt.

As an aside Tophat, the speaker of the HOC could not be head of state as the head of state is leader of the upper house (hence we would only elect a president if we got the TSR HOL) but it just means that we get to alter the constitution and decide an official democratic model (and stop having to reference the dam queen in every bill at the top).
    So there is the possibility of agreeing to a republic and then rejecting the method of electing a head of state?
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well rather than making it party political we could come to a cross-party consensus on the head of state issue, thus there would just be a simple approval (for the record i do not support the president having any power).
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Maybe two threads - 'Monarchy Campaign' and 'Campaign for a Republic' - in the General Discussion area would be the simplest way of encouraging participation from outside the HOC.
    With threads it'd be easier to sign a few people up to the HoC as well

gb-royal.gif
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this debate will funnel more people to the HOC and improve our recruitment of new members. I'm looking forward to it.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    I've asked for sub-forums, but if we don't get them, we'll have to think of how we can aid communication between the campaign co-ordinators and their supporters.
    Maybe just having an email discussion with all of those involved?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Hopefully this debate will funnel more people to the HOC and improve our recruitment of new members. I'm looking forward to it.

(Original post by RoryS)
    Maybe just having an email discussion with all of those involved?
    Could make this a featured thing in the next issue of AdHoc? :holmes:
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could make this a featured thing in the next issue of AdHoc? :holmes:
    Sure
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely going to be a main feature. Keep sending content, whatever size or shape!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Since i've got more spare time in school (i don't have to do maths or IT now as i've finished, I get revision lessons instead) I'd be able to donate more time to this, and would be able to take up the role of campaign co-ordinator for the monarchists if needed.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Potential sigs/postery things? Each slide is a different one using the same template

(Original post by MacCuishy)
    QFA
    (Original post by Toronto353)
    QFA
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pptx Republic Referendum.pptx (806.2 KB, 8 views)
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Potential sigs/postery things? Each slide is a different one using the same template
    Perhaps have a different colour of writing so that it stands out more. Great points though on each slide.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Perhaps have a different colour of writing so that it stands out more. Great points though on each slide.
    yeah, the colour is a bit crappy, might even change the background because nothing stands out against it...

Actually, luminous green might do the trick, i'll try it

EDIT- Actually, black works well, the new version is on this post.
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: pptx Republic Referendum.pptx (809.4 KB, 7 views)
Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.