The Student Room Group

I'm torn between medicine and dentistry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bigbottle
If any say ''If you give your details, we'll get back to you'' ... don't bother, they never do. I just cut them off and move onto the next one. :colone:

I had to learn that the hard way :bawling:

Original post by ruby321
Aw really. Though I don't see why you would give them a CV. It's hardly a paid job, all you will be doing is sitting at the other side of the room and watching. Likewise, I don't see why they would refuse work experience as patients never seem to care if some watches, like at all.
If you manage to talk to the actual dentist rather than just the receptionist they are more likely to say yes.

It's because they're afraid of our potential and raw power!!! Lol, the CV's are just to leave a professional impression AND contact details. I agree that the dentists themselves are more likely to accept work experience requests, but you hardly get to see them directly unless you ask your own dentist.
Original post by ruby321
Aw really. Though I don't see why you would give them a CV. It's hardly a paid job, all you will be doing is sitting at the other side of the room and watching. Likewise, I don't see why they would refuse work experience as patients never seem to care if some watches, like at all.

Patient confidentiality/protection, health and safety lots of things to hurt yourself on, you're not immunised.

They're basically responsible for you in what is a dangerous environment to someone untrained and not immunised.

Whereas in my day I was allowed to aspirate and mix alginate for funsies.

They're just covering their own backs.
Medicine. Although I'm being biased when I say that because I want to study medicine too!
Reply 43
Original post by allthelove
Medicine. Although I'm being biased when I say that because I want to study medicine too!

It would have been helpful to the OP to have written a reason. :smile:
OP, if you're basing your decision to study medicine on a TV documentary, then don't. I've watched both them shows and yes, it does give an insight but I think, especially the BBC3 one, is slightly fabricated to make it viewer friendly.

Just my opinion.
Or you could work in a dental hospital, like they have in Leeds. They do emergency treatment so you get a bit of trauma work, along with dentistry.
Reply 46
Original post by Magnanimity
Patient confidentiality/protection, health and safety lots of things to hurt yourself on, you're not immunised.

They're basically responsible for you in what is a dangerous environment to someone untrained and not immunised.

Whereas in my day I was allowed to aspirate and mix alginate for funsies.

They're just covering their own backs.

In 2006 when I did work experience, I also used to mix alginates, sterilise instruments and aspirate. Since the GDC said (I think it ws in 2007 or 2008) that nurses must also be registered with to practice, the majority of dentists don't allow hands on stuff in the surgery. I'm glad I had the experience back then though.
Original post by anthonyfl
Hi everyone

I have a genuine like for teeth and have wanted to become a dentist for a while. I would love to give people great smiles, I especially like the cosmetic aspect.

However, I also have a strong interest in medicine. I have watched junior doctors on the BBC and a documentary on the sick kids in Great Ormond Street Hospital and I'd love to work in an environment like that.

I don't fancy being stuck in the same room with someone all week though, I prefer the hospital working environment. Managing my own practice for dentistry also appeals to me though.

I'm going for 10 months work experience, four hours a week at a private cosmetic dentist and one week in a hospital. Hopefully this will help me decide as I feel the time has come where I need to Persue one of these careers with 100% enthusiasm.

I'm not in it for the money either!

Very good thread by a dentist discouraging people from following in his foot steps...good read
Reply 48
OP, if you're basing your decision to study medicine on a TV documentary, then don't. I've watched both them shows and yes, it does give an insight but I think, especially the BBC3 one, is slightly fabricated to make it viewer friendly.

Just my opinion.

Whilst yeah they definitely shouldn't base it purely on a tv documentary, def need to get some work experience, I actually thought the bbc 3 documentary was pretty accurate about junior doctors jobs, showed the paper work and everything. The most fabricated bits about it were the personalities and how they were portrayed (having met one I can see there was a lot of selective editing for how they were designed to come across on tv) and their f1/f2 accomadation - plush much! (but thats cause I think they get free accomadation for being on the show). The actual job didn't look far off from what I've seen f1's do.
Reply 49
Original post by halfadoc
Whilst yeah they definitely shouldn't base it purely on a tv documentary, def need to get some work experience, I actually thought the bbc 3 documentary was pretty accurate about junior doctors jobs, showed the paper work and everything. The most fabricated bits about it were the personalities and how they were portrayed (having met one I can see there was a lot of selective editing for how they were designed to come across on tv) and their f1/f2 accomadation - plush much! (but thats cause I think they get free accomadation for being on the show). The actual job didn't look far off from what I've seen f1's do.

Which one did you meet?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 50
Original post by bigbottle
In 2006 when I did work experience, I also used to mix alginates, sterilise instruments and aspirate. Since the GDC said (I think it ws in 2007 or 2008) that nurses must also be registered with to practice, the majority of dentists don't allow hands on stuff in the surgery. I'm glad I had the experience back then though.

Wow that'd be really cool haha

Original post by anthonyfl
Hi everyone

I have a genuine like for teeth and have wanted to become a dentist for a while. I would love to give people great smiles, I especially like the cosmetic aspect.

However, I also have a strong interest in medicine. I have watched junior doctors on the BBC and a documentary on the sick kids in Great Ormond Street Hospital and I'd love to work in an environment like that.

I don't fancy being stuck in the same room with someone all week though, I prefer the hospital working environment. Managing my own practice for dentistry also appeals to me though.

I'm not in it for the money either!

They are not very accurate, especially the BBC3 one. Don't think that they are what it's like...
Reply 52
Original post by Vian
At first all I did was go to many practices dressed smart, with copies of my CV. I was rejected by all of them. Then I emailed a bunch of practices and was accepted by one of them.

Moral of the story: Work experience is a bitch.

I cannot speak for dental experience,but i have had to get work experience in vets and the way to get loads i found is if you have no reply after about 2 weeks ring the places and say you emailed, wrote etc 2 weeks ago and you were wondering whether they were able to offer you work experience. it shows how serious you are, as most people would just wait and hope - but they will like that you have taken an active approach to gaining work experience.
good luck and i hope you manage to get some more work ex :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by alice456
I cannot speak for dental experience,but i have had to get work experience in vets and the way to get loads i found is if you have no reply after about 2 weeks ring the places and say you emailed, wrote etc 2 weeks ago and you were wondering whether they were able to offer you work experience. it shows how serious you are, as most people would just wait and hope - but they will like that you have taken an active approach to gaining work experience.

Thanks :smile: It's just finding an NHS one I have a problem with!

Reply 54
Original post by alice456

Thanks! I'll definitely be doing that once exams are over!
How do you get work ex in the NHS anyway? I've applied for volunteering and bombarded my local NHS trust with emails but nothing, nada, zilch.
Reply 56
How do you get work ex in the NHS anyway?

Ask them at gun point. Seriously.

It is becoming increasingly hard to get work experience. Have you called up the places a few days after sending the emails? They may have forgotten to reply, or couldn't be bothered, in which case calling them up would show that you're committed and may convince them to give you experience.
Reply 57
you could do reconstructive dentistry... basically a dentist who then practises medical plastic surgery...

i believe oxford offers it, though i may be wrong????
Reply 58
Original post by momo26396
you could do reconstructive dentistry... basically a dentist who then practises medical plastic surgery...

i believe oxford offers it, though i may be wrong????

Thanks! I'll look into it

Original post by Vian
Ask them at gun point. Seriously.

It is becoming increasingly hard to get work experience. Have you called up the places a few days after sending the emails? They may have forgotten to reply, or couldn't be bothered, in which case calling them up would show that you're committed and may convince them to give you experience.

I don't have a gun. Will a rolling pin do? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest