Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Old school books

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014

I have kept most of my school books since grade 1 locked in my room. Thing is, I have always been a good student and so have put a lot of effort into those books, and therefore cannot bear the thought of throwing them away. Another reason is that at the completion of every grade, I felt that I hadn't studied as well as I could have and kept the books hoping to study them properly later.

While I don't intend to throw them out in the near future, I am curious to know what other people do with their old books. If you throw them out, how do you deal with the fact that you had put a lot of effort into them?

PS: I have been diagnosed with OCD.

Anyone?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I never throw out any of my work. I hold a faint hope that I might one day be very famous and that it would be worth a lot of money I jest.
    Really though I don't throw it out because I couldn't bear to having worked so hard. I look through it every now and again.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think I have my exercise books up till the end of GCSE in the attic, though only as a memento. The 'effort' is put into learning rather than writing stuff out - the latter is just a necessary means of attaining your goal, and the results should be manifested in who/where you are now, so I don't see the books themselves as the fruits of my endeavours. It'd just be nice to look at them and reminisce upon my childhood, seeing how my handwriting/thought processes/etc. have changed.

So yeah, I couldn't bring myself to throw them away, though for different reasons. I put a lot more effort into my work now but don't have any problem throwing it away (partly because it's completely unstructured and illegible, and it's all just maths which doesn't hold much sentimental value)

(Original post by Violet_apple)
    I never throw out any of my work. I hold a faint hope that I might one day be very famous and that it would be worth a lot of money I jest.
    Really though I don't throw it out because I couldn't bear to having worked so hard. I look through it every now and again.
    (Original post by scherzi)
    I think I have my exercise books up till the end of GCSE in the attic, though only as a memento. The 'effort' is put into learning rather than writing stuff out - the latter is just a necessary means of attaining your goal, and the results should be manifested in who/where you are now, so I don't see the books themselves as the fruits of my endeavours. It'd just be nice to look at them and reminisce upon my childhood, seeing how my handwriting/thought processes/etc. have changed.

So yeah, I couldn't bring myself to throw them away, though for different reasons. I put a lot more effort into my work now but don't have any problem throwing it away (partly because it's completely unstructured and illegible, and it's all just maths which doesn't hold much sentimental value)
    Thanks for your replies. But what happens if you realize that you've lost some of your books?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have kept most of my school books since grade 1 locked in my room. Thing is, I have always been a good student and so have put a lot of effort into those books, and therefore cannot bear the thought of throwing them away. Another reason is that at the completion of every grade, I felt that I hadn't studied as well as I could have and kept the books hoping to study them properly later.

While I don't intend to throw them out in the near future, I am curious to know what other people do with their old books. If you throw them out, how do you deal with the fact that you had put a lot of effort into them?

PS: I have been diagnosed with OCD.
    I used to do this, for the same reasons generally, and I still do to an extent. (I've also got OCD). I also keep all school work I've done on my computer, and work I know my brother and sister have spent ages on...takes up a lot of memory :sigh:
    but occassionally I go through a phase of clearing stuff out, so I get rid of duplicates and work that didn't take much effort that I can easily find the information for again. I intend to, between finishing exams and uni, sort out all my old school work and organise it properly so it takes less space and is more useful! I try to not get too worked up about throwing it away, and so I never consider throwing away stuff relevant to languages and politics (my degree course) or projects that I was really proud of and did well on, or stuff that may be useful
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I keep the books that are usefull, such as the ones from the subjects that I have taken for GCSE (Music, Art, Textiles, English, Maths, History of medicine, Science, and French), the others I throw out, as I don't need them anymore, I needed them at the time but not anymore.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.