The Student Room Group

Racism in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by xxEmzJanexx
I think theres a fine line between racist remarks and a joke....people take so many things way to personally

I'm fine with jokes in good humour, and I think positive stereotypes are good. I don't think "don't hug the Arab, he might explode" is in good humour OR a positive stereotype.

On a side note: to all the other insanely clever people who haven't read my second post complaining about what I've said, I was giving examples of subtle ways I've seen people treat me differently because I'm Arab. There is, and unfortunately will always be, blatant racism. I am called a terrorist, raghead or something of the sort on a near daily basis.
Reply 21
Anonymous ....I m feeling really tired with your posts...
I m a Hong Kong student studying in UK just like you.
This is my first year in UK. Indeed it take quite a bit to adapt a new place and culture.
But I think there are not much to do with race or kind of that stuff.
I personally believe everybody on the earth have a individual soul and spirit.
We are just influenced by our environment.That will be a better idea stop marking people just because of their race.The barriers between races are built by ourselves.
Let make a example:
Smile to the cashier if you expect the cashier smile to you.
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
Right, now I don't mean cities like London where there's a huge mix etc. but generally in the UK where cities are majority white, I always sense racism towards me. I'm not saying everyone who is white is racist, but I do see it happening. People try to be politically correct, and embrace other cultures etc. but sometimes the racism is so blatant, like a cashier would smile at every white customer, but not at the Arab. Although he isn't being racist, as an Arab I always feel that I'm looked down upon. Now there are some people who have no problem with me being Arab, my girlfriend who is white actually first started to like me because I looked exotic to her. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and what your opinions are?

Brother I feel.

Racisma is an illness which people had inside their basement.
I would like the world lives in one language and by one side..

So hard to explain on this topic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending