Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel like losing weight is impossible right now.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So in the past year I've gone from a size 12 to a 16 and I hate it. Most of the weight has gone on my stomach and thighs and it makes me feel so unattractive and worthless. I'm actually doing something I said I would never do by wearing baggy clothes.

I have tried to make changes, I don't eat much snack-y food anymore and I've tried to drink still drinks over fizzy. I've even started exercising (although I'm not consistantly). But I feel like until I can get my own place and have the freedom to buy whatever food I want I'll never be able to shift the weight.

As it is I spend half my week at my house and half at my boyfriends so I have to eat what I'm given regardless of how healthy it is. I have tried to buy fresh salad things but when I offered to buy these things on a regular basis for everyone at my house my Mum refused and I just can't afford it.

My Mum is pretty big too and I've tried to encourage her to buy healthier food and cook heathier meals and we might for about half a week then it goes back. And at my boyfriends I can't demand for healthy food because it's not my place to.

I really want to loose this weight because it's depressing me and not just so I look thinner, so I'm healthier. But I don't know what to do in the meantime between now and finally getting my own house. Any advise?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    While you may not be able to change your meals, you can always cut down on the portion size. Request smaller portions and that way you don't have to feel bad about not clearing the plate.

Exercising consistently is also going to be a big help, if you can get into the habbit it'll start making a big difference.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    'I don't eat much snack-y food anymore and I've tried to drink still drinks over fizzy.'

so you are still eating chocolate and crisps? why don't you just cut them out? replace it with the fruit or salad you want to eat so badly.

the best thing to do is to eat a good breakfast early to get your metabolism going, eat a modest lunch and then as little as possible in the evenings (a decent dinner obviously but no evening snacks) because you are going to sleep then so you don't burn that food off it just sits there.

Also remember it's the amount you eat as well as what you eat, it may come off better if you just say you aren't feeling hungry and could you have a smaller portion? Or offer to cook for your boyfriends family?

And at home why don't you offer to cook? Or manage your own food and leave everyone else to what they like
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mum's exactly the same! And I don't have much money recently I've just been making do with what's indoors.

Way around it is to buy cheap healthy food, Iceland do ready cooked chicken breast for £1, brown bread is filling and cheap, so is fruit if you buy it in bulk. Green veg is also very filling and nutricious too. When you're at your boyfriends perhaps go there on a full stomach so you don't overeat on unhealthy food and promise to eat well for the rest of the day or the next day?

It's hard, when my mum buys nice food and tells me she can't be bothered to make healthy stuff as well as catering for my other siblings, the last thing I want to do sometimes is get out the salad, but I've done it before, and I aim to do it again! Don't give up before you've started!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All you need to do is count calories and ensure you are eating roughly around 500 calories less than your Basal Metabolic Rate. Add 3 exercise sessions a week and then you can lose over 1-1.5 lbs a week

There are a couple other tips
    - Minimise snacks but don't starve yourself
    - Eat breakfast and drink lots of water to boost metabolism
    - You don't need to get rid of fizzy drinks, drink the sugar free alternatives
    - Don't eat or drink too much fruit

Stick to this and you're guaranteed to lose weight, you a can still eat what's given to you but eat in smaller quantities and/or cut out parts of that meal. This may seem like alot of numbers but once you get your head around it, you'll know exactly what and what not to eat and how much.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittenxa)
    I have tried to make changes, I don't eat much snack-y food anymore and I've tried to drink still drinks over fizzy. I've even started exercising (although I'm not consistantly).
    Most people who struggle to lose weight underestimate how much they eat and overestimate how much they exercise. "I don't eat much snack-y food anymore" doesn't fill me with confidence, still drinks can be just as calorific as fizzy drinks and a lackluster approach to exercise aren't doing you any favours whatsoever.

Your action plan:

1) Follow a sensible calorie controlled diet. No fewer than 1500 calories per day from whole foods that will give you the nutrients you need and help keep you fuller for longer - plenty of lean meats, fish, vegetables, beans and lentils. For the first couple of weeks weigh out all of your food until you have a good idea with regards to the calorie content of different foods and different portion sizes. There is nothing wrong with snacks as long as they are reasonably healthy and are taken out of your daily calorific intake.

2) Don't drink any calories. Stick with water, black coffee, green tea, etc. No fruit juice, milk, special low/no sugar drinks, milky tea sweetened with several spoonfuls of sugar, alcohol, etc.

3) Exercise regularly. AT THE VERY LEAST start and end your day with a 30-60 minute walk before breakfast and after dinner. Make an effort to be more active, walk to the shops, take up some fitness classes at your local gym, join a local sports club, start the Couch to 5K running routine, whatever, as long as you're getting in several hours of quality exercise per week.

4) Take 1 day off per week. Most people cannot eat strictly every day of the week for months on end without "breaking" and throwing it all in. Likewise you cannot workout properly every single day. Take a day to recharge and motivate yourself to eat better and work harder for next week. When I say "take a day off" be sensible, you still need to get some exercise that day and you still need to careful about what you eat. By all means keep doing your two 30-60 minute walks, and by all means have a couple of slices of pizza for dinner and a glass of wine (if that is your thing), but don't sit around all day doing nothing, devour a whole 12" pizza (on top of what you've already eaten that day) and wash it down with a bottle of wine (or two).

But I feel like until I can get my own place and have the freedom to buy whatever food I want I'll never be able to shift the weight.
    Your boyfriend and your family should be supporting you, you need to spell it out a little more explicitly to them about what you expect from them and how much it means to you.

Worst comes to the worst and they will not support you in any way shape or form there is a lot you can do to limit the damage. KEEP EXERCISING, nobody can stop you. Cut out the calorific drinks and remember that you don't have to eat everything that is put in front of you (again, focus on the lean meats, fish and vegetables, not pudding, mountains of pasta/rice/potatoes), etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Healthy food doesn't have to be expensive. If you want to lose the weight enough you'l make it happen and it's only you that can motivate yourself. I understand about your mum though. My mum purposely won't support me when I'm losing weight. She buys the crap food that I like on purpose and she's told me that she does that. I guess you've just got to prove a point and not eat it and when you see results and look better, your mum might even join you!

Oh and keep it up with the exercise. It may not seem like it now but if you're consistent enough you'l start to enjoy and depend on it.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP: what's so difficult about losing weight? why are you over-complicating something that's so incredibly basic? eat a few hundred calories below your maintenance, eat good food with plenty of protein, do some cardio and do some resistance training. in fact, all you really need to do is eat a few hundred calories below maintenance and you will lose weight.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittenxa)
    Any advise?
    Stop making up excuses
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The thing that's really worked for me is to make a food diary .
    Use something like www.myfitnesspal.com to count all the food you've taken in and all the calories you've burned exercising, and then make sure you are burning more calories then you are taking in (calculate your BMR to do this). Then you can tailor it to how much and how fast you want to lose weight, the more calories you burn (and the less you eat), the more weight you will lose.
    The food diary will help you to see how much you are ACTUALLY eating, and how much you are burning, and will motivate you to keep your calorie intake down.
    Another thing I found is that most of my diet was made up of refined carbs. White pasta, bread, potatoes, rice etc. Either switch to wholewheat versions or just cut them out completely and see what happens.

Get some willpower, just because someone offers you the cake doesn't mean you have to eat it!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.