Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What social class are you? (Poll)

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: What social class are you?
    Underclass
    3.09%
    Working Class
    20.63%
    Lower Middle Class
    19.89%
    Middle Class
    29.77%
    Upper Middle Class
    13.24%
    Upper Class
    1.55%
    Royalty
    5.65%
    I do not believe in the concept of social class
    6.18%

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    Whilst "a lot of questions at at Uni are basically hinting at class" is true, they don't do it with random questions like what you drive, equal opportunities questionnaires tend to try to make meaningful associations rather than random ones like what your parents drive. For example, a rather typical one to test whether someone is working class is to ask whether their parents attended university, whilst this doesn't provide a catch all measure, it makes more sense than a bored sociologist assessing where you went on holiday and the car you drive to determine your class. This gives you more information than the car that someone drives, and is typically based on research. Alternatively, questionnaires typically uses whether a child was a recipient of free school meals to establish underclass.

Going up to people and trying to find out if their occupation/class matches your sterotypes isn't social research, it's just rude and nosy. If you were really interested, you could actually do some meaningful reading into it. For example, despite the NS-SEC trying to fit everyone into neat groups, many researchers argue that many typically middle-class have become routine and in effect similar to unskilled manual labour. What do you intend to prove/show from going up to people and establishing their class? Questionnaires don't try to establish what class someone is in so they can impose values/judgements of the person, but they try to establish a meaningful relationship. For example, if i were to be looking at ethnicity and it's relationship to educational outcomes, i might ask if individuals parents helped them read as a child, or ask about other involvement in basic academic development (which research i have done suggests may play a role).

I'm only making this post because you say you find class fascinating, but seem to have quite a superficial view of it. Social research isn't about standing outside tesco and seeing whether an unshaven bloke with long hair is working class because you sterotype him that way. Actually, most people would point out that Richard Branson looks working class but is far from it. Do some research, but give ethics a thought and use basic research skills, so have a hypothesis or research question guiding you. If you're really interested, pick up some books on class - it's a fascinating subject, and if you're interested in research use some basic research methods textbooks.
    Ooo, thanks for the lecture, really helpful! I wouldn't think anyone with half a brain thinks Richard Branson looks working-class would they? I mean since he was a student he looked upper-middle, just the then-trendy end of umc. I saw him on BBC4 the other night as a young man and there was no working-class there.

We aren't rude and we aren't unaware of the subtleties, it's just an occassional hobby, everyone has their own interests. We ask far more sophisticated things that your stumbling, unsubtle questions above. The questions about cars and parent's jobs I mentioned were meant to be reflective of the sort of unstructured questions people often ask socially, not the ones amateur (but skilled) social-class sleuths like us use in our researches. Really, don't be such a humbug.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this has already been said as I really can't be doing with going through 15pages of posts, but technically, according to the 'new' and 'offical' way of rating social classes based on labour market position, all us students are (offically anyway) classed at the very botttom (often in surveys etc it will state beside Class 8: including students)

Class 1. Higher managerial and professional occupations.
    1.1 Large employers and high managerial occupations
    1.2 Higher professional occupations
    Class 2. Lower managerial and professional occupations.
    Class 3. Intermediate occupations.
    Class 4. Small employers and own account workers.
    Class 5. Lower supervisory and technical occupations.
    Class 6. Semi-routine occupations.
    Class 7. Routine occupations.
    Class 8. Never worked and long term unemployed.
    (Source: Office for National Statistics)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why, Clas Ohlson, of course.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhill)
    I don't know if this has already been said as I really can't be doing with going through 15pages of posts, but technically, according to the 'new' and 'offical' way of rating social classes based on labour market position, all us students are (offically anyway) classed at the very botttom (often in surveys etc it will state beside Class 8: including students)

Class 1. Higher managerial and professional occupations.
    1.1 Large employers and high managerial occupations
    1.2 Higher professional occupations
    Class 2. Lower managerial and professional occupations.
    Class 3. Intermediate occupations.
    Class 4. Small employers and own account workers.
    Class 5. Lower supervisory and technical occupations.
    Class 6. Semi-routine occupations.
    Class 7. Routine occupations.
    Class 8. Never worked and long term unemployed.
    (Source: Office for National Statistics)
    Yeah, they're just a rewrite of the old A/B/C1/C2/D/E system with some more explanation.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    Ooo, thanks for the lecture, really helpful! I wouldn't think anyone with half a brain thinks Richard Branson looks working-class would they? I mean since he was a student he looked upper-middle, just the then-trendy end of umc. I saw him on BBC4 the other night as a young man and there was no working-class there.

We aren't rude and we aren't unaware of the subtleties, it's just an occassional hobby, everyone has their own interests. We ask far more sophisticated things that your stumbling, unsubtle questions above. The questions about cars and parent's jobs I mentioned were meant to be reflective of the sort of unstructured questions people often ask socially, not the ones amateur (but skilled) social-class sleuths like us use in our researches. Really, don't be such a humbug.
    Well, being unshaven, and having long hair fits into a pretty good sterotype of the working class, i can't really see how this image makes him look upper-middle/upper class:

But then again, it is subjective. Although when i google "upper class man" my point is illustrated, suggesting many other people agree with me.

Regarding your amateur sociological skills, and my lack of asking "sophisticated things that your stumbling, unsubtle questions above" show. I'll have you note that following my dissertation - focus group research (semi-structured - had some questions and prompts ready but let the participants guide the group), some of the questions/results have actually been included within research my university's doing. I don't mind you going up to people and being nosey, but masquerading it as a "sociological interest" is a load of bull; if you had a sociological interest you'd actually be trying to do something meaningful about the topic. Seeing how well you can sterotype people is not sociology.

Why don't you actually do something interesting, like using your 'interviewer skills' to analyse whether there's a meaningful difference between the way classes think about university (it's aims, affordability, perceived benefits, etc)?

Do you actually think sociologists/equal opportunities people sit behind a computer all day assessing the car someone has, their holidays and using that to place them into a class? Your post earlier, that said "a lot of questions at Uni are basically hinting at class, those little probes about what your family are like, where you were brought up, what school you went to, where you holiday, what your parents drive, what you drive, etc, etc." suggests that you think they do. God knows where you got that idea from.

What does it tell you anyway? Do you go up to people and ask them what car they drive and use that HOW exactly? If we were to do my research you would be able to examine whether there was any differences between class (independent variable) and conceptions of higher education (dependant variable). Which, i can tell you there is (my dissertation research was slightly different, using minority status as a IV).
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    I didn't vote on the poll because you distinguished between the many types of middle class but not the different types of working class, and I'd like to know why.
    It is generally accepted that the middle class consists of many strata whereas the working class is rather homogeneous.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    It is generally accepted that the middle class consists of many strata whereas the working class is rather homogeneous.
    By whom is that generally accepted?

It isn't the case. There are many strands in the working class - skilled and unskilled; Respectable and Non-Respectable (traditional phrasing); manual and non-manual; women and men; white and other ethnicities; educated and less educated; and so on.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    It isn't generally accepted.
    Even the Wikipedia link you provided to help people determine which class they were showed that there are at least two divisions (you could argue three if you were to divide unskilled and semi-skilled into separate categories).
    Also, what Fires said.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    umm I don't really know which class I am.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    umm I don't really know which class I am.
    Say a few things about yourself and your background and then we can all argue over what class you belong to.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    "I don't work so I ain't working class"

Classic.

• 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fires)
    Say a few things about yourself and your background and then we can all argue over what class you belong to.
    lol oh go on then.

beware : long!

Spoiler:
    Show
    If we go back to my grandparents.... on my mother's side, my grandmother came from a noble family (my great grandfather was in the palace of the Tsar of Russia). They were very wealthy and pretty high up in the aristocracy.
    It all went pear-shaped during a) the Russian Revolution and b) WWII when my grandma was taken to a camp for 5 years.

On my dad's side it's all working class French folk. My grandad worked for the electricity board.

So then, my parents. My dad grew up in a working class family in Paris, and later was a Police Detective in Paris (head of the Police dept actually).

My mother grew up in a poor area of Leeds (my grandparents came to the UK after the war - my grandad was a mechanic and my grandmother worked in a cafe in the Odeon cinema).
    After moving around a bit, my mam applied for a job in Paris and worked in the OECD

There she met my dad, and they were both bringing in a lot of money. I was born in Paris just off the Champs Elysee.

We moved back to Leeds when I was 3 and we lived in the Golden Triangle. My parents bought the house outright.
    In fact : this was the house as it happens :

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-his...7-8xr/13119977

But then my dad moved out when I was 6 and my mother, being faced with raising me on her own, became a carer, and that was her job for the rest of her working life until she retired (caring for elderly ladies in her own home).

My dad, meanwhile, became a driving instructor, and later a security guard.

As for my schooling, I did Reception in a state school, Years 1-4 in a Private all girl's school, and years 5 onwards in a state school because I didn't like the private one (mam wanted me to continue in the private school but I didn't want to - she got me private tuition for a lot of subjects though as I was growing up - I had Spanish lessons, French lessons, Science lessons, Business studies lessons, piano lessons, Polish lessons, and other stuff such as calligraphy, shorthand, karate judo....she wanted me to be a brilliant academic and had hopes that I would become a doctor or an optician or something of that sort, but I think I disappointed her greatly to be honest!

We always had 1 holiday abroad a year when I was growing up. Always to somewhere within Europe - the canary islands for example, or malta etc.

My mam drove Volkswagen cars. She always bought them new and outright.

So, moving on :

I grew up, and bought my first house, which was in a less than desirable area of Leeds! A back to back 2 bed terraced house. Got married to a guy who was unemployed - later worked in supermarkets - later became an I.T. technician, and we had a kid.
    Then when I was pregnant with my second kid, we swapped houses with my mam. She wanted to downsize and we needed more room.

So there I was back living in the house I had grown up in.

I've had jobs over the years such as working in a commercial estate agents, caring for a disabled lady, working a bakery etc.
    My husband has mostly had jobs working in the I.T. industry.

At the end of 2008 we both decided to set up a business together. We took out a huge loan on the house and ran the business for a while, and were making a fair bit of money (over £1000 a week), but then the business folded in Sept 2009, and for a while we were in dire straights. We had to put the house on the market. Even my car got repossessed! My mother had to get us one.

At the same time, my husband's mobility decreased, so he couldn't look for another job.

We sold the house, paid off most of the loans, moved to Barnsley, and bought this house that we're in now. A 3 bed semi in the suburbs which cost us £105k and we own it outright. I drive a 2005 Honda Jazz. Neither of us are working as my husband has mobility problems and I am a) his carer, and b) a housewife as only my two eldest children are in school - my little one is only 2.
    My kids go to state school.
    I've written a book which I hope to submit to a publisher as soon as I have finished editing it. When my husband's mobility increases he is going to look for another job in the I.T. industry.

So....there you go....what am I? Right mish-mash of backgrounds. Currently unemployed but with my own house owned outright. Had both a state and private school upbringing....

Yeh...hell if I know.

Oh yeh, and my mother speaks "poshly", my dad doesn't at all.
    I had elocution lessons when I was a child but now I just speak in a non-specific Leeds type of accent I guess. My husband is fairly Yorkshire in his accent, and my kids are starting to pick up a broad Yorkshire accent due to the area we live in now.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I said 'working class' way back in this thread, but reading up on it now I'm even more unsure Eh, this is confusing.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    I said 'working class' way back in this thread, but reading up on it now I'm even more unsure Eh, this is confusing.
    What makes yours confusing?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What makes yours confusing?
    I think what makes it really confusing (for me, anyway) is that my mum has what's seen as a lower-middle class job (administrative work) but she's a single parent and the household income's £20,000. Which got me thinking: am I middle class because her job's white collar, or am I working class because I was born working class (both my parents were unemployed at the time of my birth and living in a caravan), and my household income's rather low?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    I think what makes it really confusing (for me, anyway) is that my mum has what's seen as a lower-middle class job (administrative work) but she's a single parent and the household income's £20,000. Which got me thinking: am I middle class because her job's not white collar, or am I working class because I was born working class (both my parents were unemployed at the time of my birth and living in a caravan), and my household income's rather low?
    Does your Mum talk about class? Does she believe she's middle or working class?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    lol oh go on then.

beware : long!

Spoiler:
    Show
    If we go back to my grandparents.... on my mother's side, my grandmother came from a noble family (my great grandfather was in the palace of the Tsar of Russia). They were very wealthy and pretty high up in the aristocracy.
    It all went pear-shaped during a) the Russian Revolution and b) WWII when my grandma was taken to a camp for 5 years.

On my dad's side it's all working class French folk. My grandad worked for the electricity board.

So then, my parents. My dad grew up in a working class family in Paris, and later was a Police Detective in Paris (head of the Police dept actually).

My mother grew up in a poor area of Leeds (my grandparents came to the UK after the war - my grandad was a mechanic and my grandmother worked in a cafe in the Odeon cinema).
    After moving around a bit, my mam applied for a job in Paris and worked in the OECD

There she met my dad, and they were both bringing in a lot of money. I was born in Paris just off the Champs Elysee.

We moved back to Leeds when I was 3 and we lived in the Golden Triangle. My parents bought the house outright.
    In fact : this was the house as it happens :

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-his...7-8xr/13119977

But then my dad moved out when I was 6 and my mother, being faced with raising me on her own, became a carer, and that was her job for the rest of her working life until she retired (caring for elderly ladies in her own home).

My dad, meanwhile, became a driving instructor, and later a security guard.

As for my schooling, I did Reception in a state school, Years 1-4 in a Private all girl's school, and years 5 onwards in a state school because I didn't like the private one (mam wanted me to continue in the private school but I didn't want to - she got me private tuition for a lot of subjects though as I was growing up - I had Spanish lessons, French lessons, Science lessons, Business studies lessons, piano lessons, Polish lessons, and other stuff such as calligraphy, shorthand, karate judo....she wanted me to be a brilliant academic and had hopes that I would become a doctor or an optician or something of that sort, but I think I disappointed her greatly to be honest!

We always had 1 holiday abroad a year when I was growing up. Always to somewhere within Europe - the canary islands for example, or malta etc.

My mam drove Volkswagen cars. She always bought them new and outright.

So, moving on :

I grew up, and bought my first house, which was in a less than desirable area of Leeds! A back to back 2 bed terraced house. Got married to a guy who was unemployed - later worked in supermarkets - later became an I.T. technician, and we had a kid.
    Then when I was pregnant with my second kid, we swapped houses with my mam. She wanted to downsize and we needed more room.

So there I was back living in the house I had grown up in.

I've had jobs over the years such as working in a commercial estate agents, caring for a disabled lady, working a bakery etc.
    My husband has mostly had jobs working in the I.T. industry.

At the end of 2008 we both decided to set up a business together. We took out a huge loan on the house and ran the business for a while, and were making a fair bit of money (over £1000 a week), but then the business folded in Sept 2009, and for a while we were in dire straights. We had to put the house on the market. Even my car got repossessed! My mother had to get us one.

At the same time, my husband's mobility decreased, so he couldn't look for another job.

We sold the house, paid off most of the loans, moved to Barnsley, and bought this house that we're in now. A 3 bed semi in the suburbs which cost us £105k and we own it outright. I drive a 2005 Honda Jazz. Neither of us are working as my husband has mobility problems and I am a) his carer, and b) a housewife as only my two eldest children are in school - my little one is only 2.
    My kids go to state school.
    I've written a book which I hope to submit to a publisher as soon as I have finished editing it. When my husband's mobility increases he is going to look for another job in the I.T. industry.

So....there you go....what am I? Right mish-mash of backgrounds. Currently unemployed but with my own house owned outright. Had both a state and private school upbringing....

Yeh...hell if I know.

Oh yeh, and my mother speaks "poshly", my dad doesn't at all.
    I had elocution lessons when I was a child but now I just speak in a non-specific Leeds type of accent I guess. My husband is fairly Yorkshire in his accent, and my kids are starting to pick up a broad Yorkshire accent due to the area we live in now.
    Wow. Your story is amazing! Busy reading it...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does your Mum talk about class? Does she believe she's middle or working class?
    I honestly couldn't say. I believe she thinks she's working class because of her upbringing, and because there's a sort of pride in my family for being the working class Old Labour type
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think of myself as middle class, although I'd probably be lower middle. I haven't reached financial difficulty yet, and my family hasn't been in any large debts or anything, but we're not exactly millionaires either
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectsymbology)
    Putting royalty on that poll is like putting Jedi as a religion choice on the census form.
    What's wrong with that? Jedi is a good religion... and yeah i LOL'd so much when I heard about that census! such fun aha xD

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 18, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.