Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What social class are you? (Poll)

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: What social class are you?
    Underclass
    3.09%
    Working Class
    20.63%
    Lower Middle Class
    19.89%
    Middle Class
    29.77%
    Upper Middle Class
    13.24%
    Upper Class
    1.55%
    Royalty
    5.65%
    I do not believe in the concept of social class
    6.18%

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    I think what makes it really confusing (for me, anyway) is that my mum has what's seen as a lower-middle class job (administrative work) but she's a single parent and the household income's £20,000. Which got me thinking: am I middle class because her job's not white collar, or am I working class because I was born working class (both my parents were unemployed at the time of my birth and living in a caravan), and my household income's rather low?
    People often feel like they "move up" into the middle class if they have even quite humble white collar jobs. I doubt this is true in reality; they have nothing much in common with lawyers, doctors or BBC executives. So unless for cultural reasons you really feel Middle, it sounds like you are Working Class. Just my view.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Accidentally voted upper class, meant upper middle.

Question though: If "upper class" can't be achieved through extreme incomes, then the maximum "achievable" by anyone not born into "upper class" is always going to be upper middle class?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mtice)
    Accidentally voted upper class, meant upper middle.
    Don't be coy, share what makes the difference in your case.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    According to the jobs my parents have, middle-middle?

I doubt that though...
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zara55)
    Wow. Your story is amazing! Busy reading it...
    haha if you're any closer to figuring out which social class I belong to, I'd be very interested to know
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpringNicht)
    According to the jobs my parents have, middle-middle?

I doubt that though...
    What are their jobs?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    haha if you're any closer to figuring out which social class I belong to, I'd be very interested to know
    Yours is a troublesome case. I am getting a second opinion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yours is a troublesome case. I am getting a second opinion.
    She's definitely Upper Class. do not question it
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkneen95)
    She's definitely Upper Class. do not question it
    I think I should just tick the "I do not believe in social classes" box
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    I think I should just tick the "I do not believe in social classes" box
    Everyone has a Class, like it or not. It's like Hotel California - you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has a Class, like it or not. It's like Hotel California - you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
    Maybe so, but as you admit yourself, I'm just difficult to categorise lol.

Right, this mish-mash is off to bed lol. nighty-night
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah you're a Yorkshire lass...Stereotypical Law dictates that you are either a farmer or in the upper classes, and I don't think there are that many farmer gals in Barnsley...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are their jobs?
    Area manager in retail and owner of a funeral directors.

Neither have been to university though, which I figured was the distinction :/ All their qualifications are vocational and earned either through an apprenticeship or through college.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    According to my family background I'd probably be categorised as upper-middle class or slightly above (maybe something in between upper middle and upper), but as I'm just about to start university and did not have time to establish myself I refuse to classify myself.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Students can't really defined under the socio-economic class system....

And to go by your family is wrong, this isn't a caste system.

But seeing as I'm on a gap year, and I'm a bakers assistant, working claaassssssssssss!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't be coy, share what makes the difference in your case.
    Come from extremely succesful (FTSE 100 founding) parents. According to the wikipedia "stereotypes" that would still make me upper-middle. So that's what I went for.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    Students can't really defined under the socio-economic class system....

And to go by your family is wrong, this isn't a caste system.

But seeing as I'm on a gap year, and I'm a bakers assistant, working claaassssssssssss!
    I know what you mean, but the reality is that when we are students, our lives are often very much shaped by our background, including class - not just income, but our outlook, views, dress, attitudes, accent, manners - there's a lot to it.

Denying all this is a possibility but not particularly realistic I suspect. Of course, you can change and develop yourself in different directions but the Class of your upbringing has a huge effect.

What do your parents do?

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mtice)
    Come from extremely succesful (FTSE 100 founding) parents. According to the wikipedia "stereotypes" that would still make me upper-middle. So that's what I went for.
    I suspect if they founded a FTSE 100 company, then you are quite rich? And very likely upper class?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suspect if they founded a FTSE 100 company, then you are quite rich? And very likely upper class?
    My parents are, yes. Upper class in England means more than just being rich and we don't meet those "criteria".
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mtice)
    My parents are, yes. Upper class in England means more than just being rich and we don't meet those "criteria".
    Yes, but it puts you above the Middle Class. You are probably thinking of criteria like titles, stately homes, etc, but those only apply to the traditional Upper Class. There is a new Owning Class of big business people, very wealthy city traders, etc. You clearly belong to that. Don't try hiding in the Middle!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 18, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.