Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Which A-level grades do you consider to be good? (POLL)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Which A-level grades are good?
    A*A*A* or above
    37.84%
    A*A*A
    34.93%
    A*AA
    40.96%
    AAA
    48.02%
    AAB
    37.63%
    ABB
    32.43%
    BBB
    21.21%
    BBC
    7.69%
    BCC
    4.78%
    CCC
    3.74%
    CCD
    1.46%
    CDD
    0.83%
    DDD
    0.83%
    DDE
    0.83%
    DEE
    0.62%
    EEE or less
    1.46%

• 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    There seem to be an array of differing opinions as to which A-level grades can be considered good - some people maintain that any less than AAA is a failure while others say thay CCC is a good level.

What do you say, TSR?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A*A*A* or above... :eyeball:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    A*A*A* or above... :eyeball:
    I would imagine something like 20% of people on TSR get those grades, so it seemed worthwhile to include it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For me, I'd be happy with 2 B's and an A.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    the thing is, obviously BBB is good. CCC would be fair. However, I would be unhappy if I got any of those because that's simply below the requirements of the course I want to do.

Do you see why this thread is a bit silly?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think an A in the subject you like the most or take an interest in the most and 2 B grades in your other subjects is good
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread is pretty unclear. Are you asking what A-level grades would be good for each one of us personally. Or what we think is the minimum from anyone to be considered to have good A level grades?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    This thread is pretty unclear. Are you asking what A-level grades would be good for each one of us personally. Or what we think is the minimum from anyone to be considered to have good A level grades?
    The latter.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    I would imagine something like 20% of people on TSR get those grades, so it seemed worthwhile to include it.
    20% on TSR get A*A*A* and above, what are you smoking?

For me good grades are 3B's and above. I got ABC btw lol.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pbsjohnz)
    20% on TSR get A*A*A* and above, what are you smoking?

For me good grades are 3B's and above. I got ABC btw lol.
    It doesn't seem that odd to me. Quite a few people seem to have grades in that range.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't seem that odd to me. Quite a few people seem to have grades in that range.
    It's disproportionate but I definitely wouldn't say 20%.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Given that Michael Gove has been pushing for no cap on students with AAB grades I suspect that the government is trying to say 'this is the gold standard'. Personally I think ABB and anything above is excellent. BBB is very good, CCC satisfactory, and anything below that unsatisfactory/poor.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say ABB, with an A in the subject you want to go into, or better I'd consider good grades on the grounds they'll get you to minimum a top 50 uni. How ever there's actually very little difference between an A student and a B student in most A level courses so I wouldn't discount say BBB.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    Given that Michael Gove has been pushing for no cap on students with AAB grades I suspect that the government is trying to say 'this is the gold standard'. Personally I think ABB and anything above is excellent. BBB is very good and anything below that good/satisfactory.
    Eh? So UUU is good? :lolwut:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Done AS and got UUU and I am doing A2 this june and I am sure I will get UUU so I will say CCC is good.
    I have learned that hard work is useless at-least.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eh? So UUU is good? :lolwut:
    Lol I tried to edit that before anyone quoted me but alas you beat me to it haha. Obviously it isn't :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luffy.)
    Done AS and got UUU and I am doing A2 this june and I am sure I will get UUU so I will say CCC is good.
    I have learned that hard work is useless at-least.
    Work smarter not harder.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are only 'good' if they reflect that you've worked hard. One person can be chuffed with 3Cs but someone else might feel they slacked but still got 3As. There's no universal good grade, it's really dependent on how hard you've worked and other circumstances that might have impacted on your grades. So if you were going through tough times but got Bs I'd say that was pretty good.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tilly87)
    Your grades are only 'good' if they reflect that you've worked hard. One person can be chuffed with 3Cs but someone else might feel they slacked but still got 3As. There's no universal good grade, it's really dependent on how hard you've worked and other circumstances that might have impacted on your grades. So if you were going through tough times but got Bs I'd say that was pretty good.
    I don't agree.

Your grades aren't suddenly 'worse' somehow if you got AAA but didn't work hard to get them, nor are they any better if you worked very hard but got CCC - arguably they are worse, because you actually tried and still got poor grades.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm heading for AAA despite doing barely any work in an entire 2 years. So for me good would be pretty high.

It's all dependent on the person though, some people just aren't as good at exams or holding/ regurgitating large amounts of information. Sadly i'm good at this but not particularly intelligent or hard working.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 15, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.