The Student Room Group

Which A-level grades do you consider to be good? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I don't agree.

Your grades aren't suddenly 'worse' somehow if you got AAA but didn't work hard to get them, nor are they any better if you worked very hard but got CCC - arguably they are worse, because you actually tried and still got poor grades.

I'm not saying 3As are bad, but people will feel differently about whether it is good or not for them. If there was a very slim chance someone was to get 3As but they did through determination then they are likely to feel their grades are very good for them, but if someone who has always succeeded got those grades they may feel disappointed the As weren't A*s.
Original post by Tilly87
I'm not saying 3As are bad, but people will feel differently about whether it is good or not for them. If there was a very slim chance someone was to get 3As but they did through determination then they are likely to feel their grades are very good for them, but if someone who has always succeeded got those grades they may feel disappointed the As weren't A*s.

I'm not speaking about subjectivity, however - I'm asking what is an objectively good set of results.
Reply 22
I'm not speaking about subjectivity, however - I'm asking what is an objectively good set of results.

Of which I'm saying that there are no objectively good results, it wholly depends on what you're going to do with those results and whether they reflect your potential or not. AAB might be fantastic for some people or not so good for others, you can't brand that set of grades 'good' or not!
Original post by Tilly87
Of which I'm saying that there are no objectively good results, it wholly depends on what you're going to do with those results and whether they reflect your potential or not. AAB might be fantastic for some people or not so good for others, you can't brand that set of grades 'good' or not!

Why, of course you can!
Reply 24
Why, of course you can!

Ok then, if someone needs A*AA for uni and they get AAB, is it still good in the same way as someone who gets AAB who was predicted CCC? So is AAB 'good' in both examples?
BBB and above I'd say.
I Got ABC. Would have been ABB but flu messed up my physics practical. *stupid flu*
Original post by Tilly87
Ok then, if someone needs A*AA for uni and they get AAB, is it still good in the same way as someone who gets AAB who was predicted CCC? So is AAB 'good' in both examples?

The simple answer is that AAB is not good in the first place.
Reply 27
The simple answer is that AAB is not good in the first place.

I'd be careful about saying that on here if I were you. What A levels did you get? Oh wait... seems like you haven't done them yet.
If you've achieved all you can then that's good. But personally I wouldn't employ anyone with less than AAA, but that's just my opinion.
For me, if I get AAAA this summer I'll be happy and I'll consider those grades 'good' but knowing I should have achieved at least one A* will mean I won't feel the grades are 'good' for me.

There isn't really a definitive answer.
Original post by Tilly87
I'd be careful about saying that on here if I were you. What A levels did you get? Oh wait... seems like you haven't done them yet.

Er, if you look at my earlier posts where my sig is visible you'll notice that I got A*A*Aa.
Reply 30
Depends on the person, myself i just wanted to have at least 1 A. i got ABC and im happy with that:smile:
Reply 31
PERSONALLY, and i heavily emphasise that part... A or above. Anything less would have been a failure.

But it depends on the person of course.
Reply 32
Original post by HighestKungFu
Work smarter not harder.

How to work smarter?
Reply 33
Not everybody achieves the same grade/1 grade ± for all the subjects they take. What about AAD? A*BC? BBE?
Considering many firms want candidates to be predicted 2:1 with a UCAS tariff point of 300-320 to work for them I think ABB would be good A-levels. But, it totally comes down to which A-level you took. Sciences, Maths, Economics, IT etc will always be valued more than Arts, Business, Psychology etc.

But, full respect to people who get AAB and above.
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't vote because I think good A level grades are those which allow the holder to achieve what they want in the future and reflect both the amount of work they put into the course and their natural talent.

Using myself as an example, for me anything below AAA would be bad because I need that for my firm and I have/continue to put in a lot of effort to achieve these grades. But my friend is also working really hard to get CCC, which is what she needs for her firm choice, so for her these would be good grades.
A* A* B? :smile:
It's quite funny how at the moment, 92 students consider AAA good but only 81 think that A*A*A* or above is good. If you think AAA is good, surely A*A*A* is? :confused:
Original post by TheatreLovely
I didn't vote because I think good A level grades are those which allow the holder to achieve what they want in the future and reflect both the amount of work they put into the course and their natural talent.

Using myself as an example, for me anything below AAA would be bad because I need that for my firm and I have/continue to put in a lot of effort to achieve these grades. But my friend is also working really hard to get CCC, which is what she needs for her firm choice, so for her these would be good grades.

The poll is entirely subjective and aimed at each individual and their own beliefs. It's not trying to define what are good grades as a whole, it's determining what each person believes would be good grades for themselves. Myself, I hope to achieve A*AA because that's what I need for the uni I really want to go to but I'd also consider BBB good because that's the lowest offer of my chosen universities. Below that, I'm a bit screwed, but it's not to say they're not good grades if somebody doesn't achieve what I view as 'good'.
Reply 39
The latter.

ok I'd say 3 Bs then

Quick Reply

Latest