The Student Room Group

C1 circles help

I don't understand the very last part to these questions, 'Find the values of k for which the line is a tangent to the circle'.

I've worked out that k = -3/4 and k = 4/3.. if i put these into the line equation I get Y = -3/4x + 6 and y = 4/3X + 6.. how do I know these lines are tangents to the circle?

k.JPG
Original post by tom472
I don't understand the very last part to these questions, 'Find the values of k for which the line is a tangent to the circle'.

I've worked out that k = -3/4 and k = 4/3.. if i put these into the line equation I get Y = -3/4x + 6 and y = 4/3X + 6.. how do I know these lines are tangents to the circle?

k.JPG

You've found the equation for where they intersect. And then you've found an equation in k when these have 1 repeated root. Do you remember what one repeated root means?

Say if I gave you a regular quadratic with 1 repeated root (b^2 - 4ac = 0) how would you describe what that graph looks like?
Reply 2
If it had one repeated root does that mean it touches the x axis once? Sorry I still don't get how I know theyre tangents
Original post by tom472
If it had one repeated root does that mean it touches the x axis once? Sorry I still don't get how I know theyre tangents

Yep that's right. So if we've made this straight line and this circle equal (by subbing in for y like you did) and they only have one repeated root then the same thing applies; the line only 'touches' the circle i.e. it's a tangent.
Original post by hassi94
Yep that's right. So if we've made this straight line and this circle equal (by subbing in for y like you did) and they only have one repeated root then the same thing applies; the line only 'touches' the circle i.e. it's a tangent.

How do you do 7)d)i?
Original post by GreenLantern1
How do you do 7)d)i?

sub y = kx + 6 into the equation of the circle, expand and simplify.
Original post by hassi94
sub y = kx + 6 into the equation of the circle, expand and simplify.

Ahh I see know, cheers

Quick Reply

Latest