Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TA Attachment to Canadian/Australian Reserves?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    By this time next year I'll be finishing a Masters in Liverpool and setting off to travel for a year or two.
    Australia or NZ have always been on my mind, and I've been looking at a couple of jobs/volunteering I could get involved in over there.

Taking a year off isn't that helpful for my Engineering and TA career, but I think it's more than worth it for the experience.
    Though lately I've vaguely heard something about being attached to the Canadian reserves.

Has anyone heard about this?
    Has anyone heard about being attached to the Australian reserves?

I'll ask at my unit on Tuesday (and post the outcome), but first I thought I'd see if any TSRers had any experiences.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've personally never heard of it, but I don't see why it couldn't be possible, especially if you could do something like find a unit your regiment is affiliated to.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    While over in Canada I enquired about being involved with their Reserves. Was told [rightly or wrongly I don't know...] that it flatout wasn't possible if I wasn't a citizen/becoming a citizen.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just found this: http://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/how...eas-applicants

Sounds positive.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    Just found this: http://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/how...eas-applicants

Sounds positive.
    If emigrating, sure. Only doing it short term might not be as viable.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_B_C)
    Sounds positive.
    If you were full time and looking to emigrate to NZ, then yes. Paid holiday? Not likely at all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    An attachment to the Australian reserve forces is definetly possible. There is an official policy which sets it all out.

I am not sure but I imagine that there is a similar policy for attachments to the Canadian reserve forces.

Get in your unit and do a search on the Defence Intranet. Alternately phone up the Defence Attaches office in the Australian or Canadian High Commission in London - they will have the relevant policies to hand.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armyboy)
    An attachment to the Australian reserve forces is definetly possible. There is an official policy which sets it all out.

I am not sure but I imagine that there is a similar policy for attachments to the Canadian reserve forces.

Get in your unit and do a search on the Defence Intranet. Alternately phone up the Defence Attaches office in the Australian or Canadian High Commission in London - they will have the relevant policies to hand.
    This is typically for regular personnel though. As far as I know, the idea of exchanging with countries is to expose our forces to other techniques employed. IIRC it is usually a posting, as in you will be there for X amount of time, not just for as long as you fancy.

There are relatively few places for these kind of deals to go down, and in all reality, you would expect those that fill them to be CPL and above of good standing. They arent going to send some Tom who will get pissed up and offend everybody. Especially for the engineers, you would expect somebody from the battlefield engineering wing or similar, not somebody who has done most of the TA b3.

Off the back of the main purpose, the TA on the whole doesnt offer a great deal of knowledge exchange. For example OP, could you offer any insight to an outsider on issues like the prefered operational practices in use in theatre?
    could you show a group of aussies what our preferred MoE is in a given scenario? Or how we deal with IED's in theatre? and not just 'I read this in PAM XY', but from genuine experience.

If you dont really have any military experience, there is little chance of the army benefitting at all from sending you there. and believe me, that is the only thing they give a toss about.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Units at Anual Camp at the moment; I'll have to wait a couple of weeks to talk to an officer about this.

Apart from getting involved in an foreign Reserve Force during my travels, I'm more than interested in the possibility of emigrating.
    If I can build on both my Engineering career and TA career abroad for an indefinite time (maybe 4-5 years) I'd jump right into it, as I wouldn't have to leave my TA career behind.

(Original post by c471)
    For example OP, could you offer any insight to an outsider on issues like the prefered operational practices in use in theatre?
    XY', but from genuine experience.
    Thank you, this is a good point: I'd have very little to offer, even if I'm successful in being an officer by then.
    If you see my link in a post above, it appears that the NZ Army are happy to accept ex-UK Personnel (as long as they have served at a minimum rank - which proves your point about them wanting at least SOME level of experience). Though I'm not sure how this would work for the Territorial Force (the NZ equivalent of the TA), or if it's only a Regular Army deal.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have done a bit more checking. There is an official policy agreement between the UK MOD and both the Canadian and Australian departments of defence on the exchange of reserve forces personnel which very much covers the sort of situation you are in.

You need to get someone in your unit to do a search for the documents on DII or get the number and phone up the relevant defence attaches in the Aus or Canadian High Commission in London- you can look them up on line- and give them a call.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.