Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

who should i vote for?

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    From a very annoyed young adult

There are no (good) jobs - very annoying after 3 years in university and 16k debt. Could've worked for minimum wage at 16.

1. The economy is rubbish
    2. The oldies aren't retiring (because they like working - well, so do we!! and they like the money...)

There are no houses - job seekers with children can have houses for free and old people want to make a profit off their houses - so they sell them for stupid prices and stop building to keep demand high. Also the oldies own the majority of the houses, which they like to rent out for extra stupid prices just so they can retire in luxury.

Young, hardworking people are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Who should I vote for? Also...I think the oldies are forgetting that one day they're going to need our help. Society must work together in order to be successful. Who's going to pay for their old age? I'm planning on taking my degree & doctorate and emigrating...To all the oldies...good luck trying to finance your retirement on a country of job seekers.

Your thoughts?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Labour I guess.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're actually a very good argument against democracy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aka the "Who do you vote for" thread?

Read up on all the parties up for election, look at their policies, digest them, make up your own mind.

Don't let people tell you who to vote for.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nobody.

The Tories are slightly, SLIGHTLY less worse than Labour.

But neither will cut the debt and the interest payments will run us all into the ground, let alone actually paying off the money of as well.

We're ****ed. Sorry.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think any parties are doing a Logan's Run of old people, so you're a bit stuck there. Vote for Labour, at least you'll get a good laugh at how Ed Miliband looks on camera.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgetheAug)
    Aka the "Who do you vote for" thread?

Read up on all the parties up for election, look at their policies, digest them, make up your own mind.

Don't let people tell you who to vote for.
    isn't that a rather large part of a politician's job?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revoked_Tangerine)
    isn't that a rather large part of a politician's job?
    They can tell me why they think I should vote for them, but I'm not obligated to follow through with it. Obviously.

Point stands: Vote for who you feel represents your views best.
    Also, there is no such thing as a wasted vote.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomflag)

There are no (good) jobs - very annoying after 3 years in university and 16k debt. Could've worked for minimum wage at 16.

2. The oldies aren't retiring (because they like working - well, so do we!! and they like the money...)

There are no houses - job seekers with children can have houses for free and old people want to make a profit off their houses - so they sell them for stupid prices and stop building to keep demand high. Also the oldies own the majority of the houses, which they like to rent out for extra stupid prices just so they can retire in luxury.

Young, hardworking people are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Who should I vote for? Also...I think the oldies are forgetting that one day they're going to need our help. Society must work together in order to be successful. Who's going to pay for their old age? I'm planning on taking my degree & doctorate and emigrating...To all the oldies...good luck trying to finance your retirement on a country of job seekers.

Your thoughts?
    Moster raving loony party

"Anyone allowing their Hyena to poop on the pavement should shovel it away immediately, As this is no laughing matter"

"Tax credits will be paid to nice people. There will be a “total bastard” tax for everyone else."

Soughted.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tories.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomflag)

Well, if you work for minimum wage now then you will have had three years of free education, so what's the problem?

There are some jobs, and the best graduates are still getting them. The graduate jobs market is always going to be competitive now that there are so many graduates, even if the economy improves. If you can't a job at all at the moment, you wouldn't have walked into a top graduate scheme 5 years ago.

We have a larger economy than at almost any time in history.

People are richer now than at any time in history.

You have had more opportunities, better healthcare, better everything than the vast majority of the 30 odd billion people who have lived before you.

Yesterday's protest march suggests some of them don't.

There are no houses - job seekers with children can have houses for free and old people want to make a profit off their houses - so they sell them for stupid prices and stop building to keep demand high.
    I think you've slightly misunderstood why housing booms occur.

Also the oldies own the majority of the houses, which they like to rent out for extra stupid prices just so they can retire in luxury.
    You might want to look at current rental yields and the rate of defaults by buy-to-let landlords.

Your thoughts?
    The same oldies who have paid for your education, healthcare, police protection etc for the last 20 years? Do you include your parents and grandparents?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Labour want higher deficits and more debt. Who has to pay this off? WE do.

If you care about the economy, you have one choice only: The conservatives.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sdiff)
    Labour want higher deficits and more debt. Who has to pay this off? WE do.

If you care about the economy, you have one choice only: The conservatives.
    Talk about spin.

So the way to revive the economy is to make the poorest suffer, while the richest get a massive tax cut? To cut 16,000 police from our streets while wasting money in pointless and ineffectual reforming of the NHS?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    With respect, your post is quite devoid of any information and thus instantly fails to provide a platform for proper analysis of your political allegiances on issues.

Perhaps if you were to provide us with your views on economics, tax policy, the National Health Service, law and order, European Union membership, welfare reform, academic selection, transport, immigration et cetera, then perhaps we would better be able to help you decide for which party you are better aligned and should ultimately vote for.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Conservatives. Only they will produce more jobs and sort out our economy. However, if you want more money while you don't have a job in the short term, and then none in 10 years becuase we're bankrupt, vote labour.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP it doesn't really matter. Both labour and conservative are committed to embracing free market capitalism and continuing illegal wars. Would love to have a minor party get in with a majority but that will never happen due to the tyranny that is the first past the post electoral system.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Talk about spin.

So the way to revive the economy is to make the poorest suffer, while the richest get a massive tax cut? To cut 16,000 police from our streets while wasting money in pointless and ineffectual reforming of the NHS?
    The way to revive the economy is to cut wasteful government spending, cut taxes to let the private sector grow, and of course CUT THE DEFICIT. This WILL cause stronger long term growth but as a Labour supporter I know you don't really care about the long term.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sdiff)
    The way to revive the economy is to cut wasteful government spending, cut taxes to let the private sector grow, and of course CUT THE DEFICIT. This WILL cause stronger long term growth but as a Labour supporter I know you don't really care about the long term.
    OK, there needs to be cuts - I didn't deny that. What there doesn't need to be are cuts that will hit the poorest the hardest while barely touching the more well off. Tuition fees and cutting the 50p tax rate are hardly fair ways to go about stimulating growth.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK, there needs to be cuts - I didn't deny that. What there doesn't need to be are cuts that will hit the poorest the hardest while barely touching the more well off. Tuition fees and cutting the 50p tax rate are hardly fair ways to go about stimulating growth.
    Of course, it's all about you. I want somebody else to pay for my education. I want the government to take somebody else's money and give it to me.
    I am a student who will be paying 9,000 pounds in fees and I am coming from a country that offers free education to do so. The loans system is very generous. Too generous in fact. If you aren't willing to pay the fees, you shouldn't go to university. If you are ambitious and hard working, the university will pay for itself many times over.

As for the tax rate; it needs to be cut. It costs the economy money in the long term. I know thinking 2 years ahead is a struggle for you, but do try. Higher taxes on wealth creation means the wealth creators will create their wealth elsewhere. 40% of 300,000 is a lot more than 50% of 0.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sdiff)
    Of course, it's all about you. I want somebody else to pay for my education. I want the government to take somebody else's money and give it to me.
    I am a student who will be paying 9,000 pounds in fees and I am coming from a country that offers free education to do so. The loans system is very generous. Too generous in fact. If you aren't willing to pay the fees, you shouldn't go to university. If you are ambitious and hard working, the university will pay for itself many times over.

As for the tax rate; it needs to be cut. It costs the economy money in the long term. I know thinking 2 years ahead is a struggle for you, but do try. Higher taxes on wealth creation means the wealth creators will create their wealth elsewhere. 40% of 300,000 is a lot more than 50% of 0.
    It's all very well shouting about how we should all pay for our own education, but what about those who genuinely can't afford it? I'm aware this doesn't apply to university as much as it applies to schools (I agree that uni can pay for itself many times over if you work hard - though I know for a fact that these new tuition fees put very capable yet poorer people off uni entirely, which will surely cost the economy in the long run in terms of lost talent). But the logical conclusion of your argument is to privatise the whole education system, which is clearly ridiculous.

And to say a 50% tax rate will cause a mass exodus of the rich is just pure Thatcherite exaggeration - not all wealthy people have as little social consicence as you seem to have.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 13, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.