Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could I afford this flat?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i was just after peoples opinion on whether or not I could afford a one bed flat for 10 months at £395 per month excluding bills on a budget of £6900 and I dont have to pay council tax. So I would need to pay: bills, food, going out etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sally93)
    Hi, i was just after peoples opinion on whether or not I could afford a one bed flat for 10 months at £395 per month excluding bills on a budget of £6900 and I dont have to pay council tax. So I would need to pay: bills, food, going out etc. Or could I afford a flat of £400 per month or £425 per month (all one bed flats).
    £6900 over 10 months is £690 per month. So after rent you'll have £295 per month for all other living expensive. This is assuming you won't have to pay for a deposit, moving in fees. I don't think that would be enough after paying for gas/elec/water, internet, tv license, food, going out etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As has been said you'd only be left with #295 (don't know why my pound sign won't work on tsr...?!) which is really not a lot. Depending on whether you were flat rate or metered you could be looking at as much as 40-60 per quarter on water, you'll want gas/electricity which can eat up a huge chunk (far more pricey than water), tv licence is something like 130ish a year I think. If you were really careful you might manage the 395 flat but I think you'd be better aiming a bit cheaper. This is why students tend to house share really.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle4)
    tv licence is something like 130ish a year I think.
    You can pay this in instalments.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    YES :sexface:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You can pay this in instalments.
    True, that's how I do mine. You can do yearly or quarterly I think. Mine's been on direct debit for years so I forget the details!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you live. I live in Cardiff and you could live off that. But if you're in London I think not...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, it would be in Lincoln, so a lot cheaper than London. The cheapest ok looking one bed flat I can find now is £375, excluding bills.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.