Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

iPad Opinions?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those with an iPad (or any other tablet for that matter), do you get a lot of use out of it?

Has it taken over from your laptop?

My laptop's on its last legs and I'm thinking of getting the new ipad to replace it, would be interesting to gather a few people's opinions.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    An Ipad is quite good to an extent. It's a lot lighter to use so it's a lot easier for me to travel around the house with it. The annoying thing is that it requires a lot of "tapping" and sometimes it can result to going onto some other website but overall I think it's quite good. As for taking over the laptop, I don't have one but I plan to soon. The main annoying thing about the Ipad is that you're unable to upload things online and if you want to send things like pictures, it's annoying because you can't do it through the internet so there's advantages but disadvantaged. Overall I'd give it a 7 or 8/10
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My iPad has pretty much taken over my laptop in terms of browsing the net/emails/social networks, so I use it quite a bit - but obviously a laptop is a lot better for Microsoft Word etc, so depends what you need to use it for.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be truthfully honest... I never use my iPad.
    But as you said, you don't have a laptop so maybe it could work for you
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't fully replace a laptop with a tablet, there's too much a laptop can do that a laptop can't. Plus, good luck trying to type long essays, etc, on the flat surface.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use my iPad a lot when travelling around to school or libraries. I still go on my laptop to what any flash videos I can't on my iPad but I've probably cut out 90% of the usage I used to have with my laptop.

If you have access to a computer to aid the iPad then you'll get by just fine. I personally can't see myself working efficiently without my iPad anymore.
    Loads of free ebooks online, works like a book for some textbooks if you can find them and saves a lot of printing and money.

Being someone who hasn't seen sense in buying any tech in the last 4 years I've been very satisfied with my iPad, especially value for moneywise.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I use mine loads, it's great for PDF books/articles for my Law studies and the maps and web browsing are very very useful. I use it on train journeys a lot and just generally at college, take notes on it in lectures and seminars and tutorials and so on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    cheers for the replies

the point about essays is something i'd thought of, I guess I'd just have to use one of the library computers...
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Safiya122)
    An Ipad is quite good to an extent. It's a lot lighter to use so it's a lot easier for me to travel around the house with it. The annoying thing is that it requires a lot of "tapping" and sometimes it can result to going onto some other website but overall I think it's quite good. As for taking over the laptop, I don't have one but I plan to soon. The main annoying thing about the Ipad is that you're unable to upload things online and if you want to send things like pictures, it's annoying because you can't do it through the internet so there's advantages but disadvantaged. Overall I'd give it a 7 or 8/10
    What do you mean you're unable to upload things online or send pictures? There's dropbox where you can essentially do both of these things or just email to send pictures.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love my Ipad, but it would never fully replace my laptop...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    What do you mean you're unable to upload things online or send pictures? There's dropbox where you can essentially do both of these things or just email to send pictures.
    And you can upload pictures direct to facebook.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but compared to Android it is very limited when it comes to sharing to various Web 2.0 sites. I think her review was pretty justifiable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revoked_Tangerine)
    cheers for the replies

the point about essays is something i'd thought of, I guess I'd just have to use one of the library computers...
    You can always get a bluetooth keyboard and download Pages for iPad

But you have to wonder, is there anything an iPad does that a laptop doesn't?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    My iPad is the best purchase I have made, it kind of has taken over my laptop, it's just so much easier to carry around and so light weight.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Yeah, but compared to Android it is very limited when it comes to sharing to various Web 2.0 sites. I think her review was pretty justifiable.
    I wasn't trying to compare to android nor criticise her opinion. I genuinely wasn't sure what she meant (still not very sure) - I don't own an iPad so I wouldn't know myself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't use my laptop much now that I have an iPad, absolutely love it and find it much easier to look at for reference when doing homework etc, editing photos, printing documents that I transfer between devices, and much more.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't trying to compare to android nor criticise her opinion. I genuinely wasn't sure what she meant (still not very sure) - I don't own an iPad so I wouldn't know myself.
    As far as system integration is concerned, it's not very easy to upload images/videos etc... to Facebook and other sites is what I believe she was saying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUltimateProof)
    I use my iPad a lot when travelling around to school or libraries. I still go on my laptop to what any flash videos I can't on my iPad but I've probably cut out 90% of the usage I used to have with my laptop.

If you have access to a computer to aid the iPad then you'll get by just fine. I personally can't see myself working efficiently without my iPad anymore.
    Loads of free ebooks online, works like a book for some textbooks if you can find them and saves a lot of printing and money.

Being someone who hasn't seen sense in buying any tech in the last 4 years I've been very satisfied with my iPad, especially value for moneywise.
    Speaking of value for money, Imperial business masters students are all getting free iPads in September Was always against the idea, but seeing as I'm getting one for free, no complaints there.

Granted we are paying extortionate fees.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bought the ipad 3 in April, and I love it!

It hasn't taken over from my laptop which I still use for essays and long documents.

But for browsing the internet, sending emails, taking notes, reading books and textbooks it's perfect.

It is quite pricey so it isn't a necessity but if you already have a desktop/laptop and have some spare cash I would recommend it.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I mean like if you went onto hotmail by using the internet and wanted to upload a picture to send, you wouldn't be able to. There is a little icon which says mail that you're able to do to it..

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.