Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni Accomodation - first time! Do people share food costs??

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving into uni accomodation for the first time this september...i'm 23...never moved out of my parents house...what should I expect there? what happens in the first day? do people just eat out or go to buy food etc? or do we buy in advance?

also, in few days/weeks, do people in your flat buy food and share the bills or how does it work out?

when you cook, do you just cook for yourself or for everyone??

understand these are ridiculous questions for a pro, but I'm really worried about these :o:o
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless people are either (a) drunk and wanting a kebab, (b) buying a cheap sandwich at uni for lunch, or (c) their parents are down, and they're paying, people will cook for themselves in halls.

In my own flat, we buy the vast majority of our own stuff and just use it ourselves. However, there are a few communal items where you get through relatively little of the stuff. Every so often, there's a 'flat meal' where two people cook and everyone chips in for food.

Trying to cook for everyone can be a bit of a pain in some ways - you've got to get everyone in the same place at the same time, get money off of them, and account for any vegetarianism / allergies / strong dislikes, hence why we don't do it that often.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Youd think they would wouldnt you, i personally think its a clever thing to do but buying for yourself works as well. Im moving in with a mate in sep and im thinking about sharing the food costs
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drummer)
    Youd think they would wouldnt you, i personally think its a clever thing to do but buying for yourself works as well. Im moving in with a mate in sep and im thinking about sharing the food costs
    Which is fine, unless one of you eats more, you don't share food preferences, one person doesn't buy enough food . . .

I know it sounds like the smart thing to do, but unless you're cooking every meal for both of you, then it won't work very well in practice.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Which is fine, unless one of you eats more, you don't share food preferences, one person doesn't buy enough food . . .

I know it sounds like the smart thing to do, but unless you're cooking every meal for both of you, then it won't work very well in practice.
    This basically.

Some people do, but it's generally limited to a few friends for specific meals. For the vast majority of the time people just get their own food and drinks.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, you'll soon see why this won't work in student accommodation. People eat more than others, some people are cleaner than others, some people have skewed perceptions of what fair or 'half' is.

When you move it, I would pack a few staples like pasta, rice, pasta sauce, potatoes and so on to get you started if everyone doesn't want to get a takeaway or pub meal or similar on the first night.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.